Talapus and Olallie Lakes via Olallie Lake Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(641)
Mount Baker Snoqualmie National Forest

Talapus and Olallie Lakes via Olallie Lake Trail is a 8.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,837 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. This hike heads uphill to two lakes, but the elevation is gain is slow and steady and the hike feels very doable. Kids and dogs on leash will also have a fun time on this trail. There are a few bridge crossings and the trail can get a bit muddy in places but it is very well maintained and easy to follow.

Only went to the first lake, but up until that point it was very covered. Started to get muddy towards the top, but very pretty and opens up once you hit the creek and lake.

Great trail - heavily covered for the majority of the hike, but once you get to see the 2 lakes it opens up. Finished with 7 miles round trip and could’ve done even more it was so rewarding! Very beautiful

A bit muddy, a little well tracked snow

Amazing! Little muddy the closest you get to Talapus lake but a good walk! Getting to Olallies lake there’s snow but had no issues getting through it! Great way to escape for a few hours

current road closure that is 3 miles out of trailhead

Hiked on 1/25/20. Tons of snow so I would definitely wear snowshoes. My friend and I only had our boots so the hike from i90 to the trailhead was pretty brutal. Great workout though! The trailhead itself had about a foot of snow so we couldn’t see the actual trail. I’m definitely looking forward to coming back once the snow melts a bit.

Tons of snow! Parking only available directly next to I-90. We snowshoed up the road. Ran into other snowshoers, and saw 4 snowmobiles on the road as well. No downed trees up to the 2 mile marker. Running water in the creek today.

My family and I reached the trail head at 12:30pm, and the parking was full. While driving up to the parking lot, once you go past the closed board it was totally clear and dry just need to drive carefully as there were lot of potholes. It was snowing for couple of hours and while coming back there was snow all along and was a bit slippery but we were able to drive with CX5 AWD. The trail was in a great condition was able to walk with regular hiking boots and poles. Enjoyed the hike. Doing both the lakes came to only 5.9 miles 1200 ft gain.

Went on a sunny day. The trailhead is still accessible - not too much snow but better to use a four wheel drive. Talapus Lake was not fully frozen yet, but Olallie Lake was quite frozen and we were able to step on the ice and enjoy the open view. From trailhead to Talapus Lake, the trail is very easy to follow and covered with a little snow, normal boots would work. Ice cleats or mini spikes are nice to have, but not a must in my opinion. From Talapus Lake to Olallie Lake, the snow gets thicker and spikes are probably necessary to ensure safety. Also the original trial as shown in the map was not followed by hikers and was covered by snow, while there's another track which formed by people using it. I would recommend follow the actual tracks (zig-zag as shown in my recording) instead of trying to follow the map. On our way back we tried to stick to the map and it quickly got very difficult. Snowshoes might be helpful on the upper part, but not necessary, and it could be used for the first mile or so.

closed
icy

A true winter wonderland! The road to the trailhead is closed, however there was an opening between the two closed signs, just big enough for your car to squeeze through if you close your mirrors. Once at the trailhead, there was a few other cars, but not many today. The restroom is closed until the warmer months. The trail starts off smooth and flat and gradually gains vert and snow the higher you go up. I didn’t complete the full loop of Ollalie lake, as I was post holing about knee deep in snow and it was becoming more tiresome than it was worth, considering I didn’t have my snowshoes or ATs with me. Today was sunny and the snow was shimmering in the beautiful Forrest canopy! I WILL be back to complete the full loop as well as Pratt lake come this spring/summer!

icy

Thanksgiving day 2019. Partial snow at trailhead turned to full cover during the hike. Lake T was frozen and beautiful. 4-6” of snow up there. Beautiful winter hike if you have the sun and the clothing.

Nice little stroll in the woods on a very well maintained trail. Saw a few families out as it's definitely kid friendly. The lakes were nice although the lakes in the north cascades are definitely better! I suggest waterproof boots if there has been recent rain. Parts of the trail were a bit muddy but nothing terrible.

Super easy trail for kids. Lots of people who had dogs. No snow reported as of early November.

Nice hike up today, dry and clear weather. Both lakes were beautiful and clear. Enjoyed taking a few moments at both to enjoy the setting sun. Just a note, the gravel road up to the trailhead is pretty rocky with some rather large potholes so proceed with caution but you should be just fine with a truck with decent suspension and height

Trail was in great condition today. Very few muddy areas that were easy to step over. It was a great, quiet midweek hike. The grey jays were happy to see us at both lakes!

Great trail, beautiful views. Love the peace on the trails and the serenity sitting and enjoying the calm mirrored lakes.

I love this trail! I’d consider it moderately easy, has a slow and steady incline throughout. Came here on 11/2 and arrived around 12pm, parking lot was full so I parked on the road. Kiosk for parking is closed, so be sure to bring your Northwest Pass. Views of the two lakes were incredible! Some parts of the trail are rocky/heavily tree rooted but overall well maintained. The route on AllTrails was different than the marked path. I tried following AllTrails on the way down and got a bit lost, so turned back and followed the signs which are pretty clear. My 12-lb terrier mix loved the hike and we met many other dogs along the way.

This is a nice hike to get away and enjoy the lake views. We hiked on a sunny Saturday 11/2/19 and arrived at the trailhead around 8:30a. We were about the 7th car there. The drive up to the trailhead was gravel with a couple narrow turns and potholes but if you take it slow it should be no problem. The hike itself was very doable with slight inclines that’s easy on the knees if you have knee problems. However, the AllTrails map needs to be updated to reflect the true paths that are easy to follow. I was able to find the AllTrails path where it differed from the actual path but had to search for it. It looked like they purposely covered it up so people would go the clearly visible route which is a little longer and easier inclines. On the way back we followed part of the AllTrails path that differed and followed it down part of the way. The AllTrails path was a little more challenging to the beginner or casual hiker so I’d recommend sticking with the visible path. The views of Talapus and Olallie were beautiful and we decided to find a nice spot on the shore of Olallie and have a snack. The birds are aggressive so watch your food! We could hear a lot of hikers coming through the area so the trail is definitely well traveled. For a nice little get away I would recommend this hike but be aware of the trail difference with AllTrails and just follow the well visible path.

A perfect sunny fall day for hiking. There is a little dirt road before getting to the parking lot and there are some potholes. It's not very bad. We found parking very easily. We started hiking at around 9:30 and the trail was in a great condition. Very well-maintained trail. Free of snow and it was completely dry. We crossed a few little creeks and few ice patches. Both lakes are really pretty. We stayed a little at Olallie Lake for our lunch break. Then we continued hiking to the Pratt Lake Trail and went west until we reached to a view point where we could see the lake and Mt. Rainier at the same time. I totally suggest everyone to do that. The AllTrails map is a little off and don't think you're going the wrong direction. We also kind of went around the lake as well. But I suggest to have maps for that because sometimes the trail is not very clear.

Straightforward trail. The mild incline makes it a bit of a workout for the first half. Once the rains came it became quite soggy. Not so much muddy as it was standing pools of water. Mostly easy to navigate around. Road to trail was potholed but overall easy to navigate. No snow whatsoever

nice mellow hike. the lakes are gorgeous.