Talapus and Olallie Lakes via Olallie Lake Trail

Talapus and Olallie Lakes via Olallie Lake Trail is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 45. Left under the freeway to FSR 9031 for .5 miles. Right on FSR 9030 for 2 miles to trailhead at end of road

Mad dog and I tackled this winter wonderland with our hiking boots and high spirits. It was 5-12 in of snow the whole time, and trail wasn’t marked. BUT WE MADE IT to Talapus Lake. Tried to get to Olallie lake, I mean, we coulda made it. But then we thought, nachos sound really good, and 0.5 more of a mile In knee deep snow would have taken much too long for our attention spans. Road to trail head was a bit too snowy, the Chevy Impala didn’t make it all the way up, so we added that missed 0.5 miles on the front end. PEACE.

They told me to leave because of my horse

We went hiking here with our 3 & 1 year old. The 3 year old walked here and there, but we mostly wore them in carriers. The trail was pretty clear for the first mile or so, and then you reached the snow/ice. The trail was very slippery once you reached that, so I am glad we brought our micro spikes. I can’t imagine doing this trail without them. Our oldest wasn’t in the mood to be out on this trail so we only managed to get to Talapus Lake which was gorgeous. We sat right at the lake and ate our lunch. There were several birds just waiting for food where we ate. I definitely want to hike this trail again.

Also, a bathroom is available, but no toilet paper and you have to pack out any that you bring since they aren’t servicing it during the winter.

great winter hike!!

Few inches of snow after the 1st mile. Little slippery, but manageable!

Well maintained road, a littler more mud and wet after first lake,kind of easy but the distance is long enough for a weekend exercise

Wide, well-worn trail, but has so many rocks and roots. It’s an ankle breaker if you’re not careful! Once we passed Talapus Lake, the mud/puddles/snow increased. My sons had tennis shoes on they got a little wet and dirty, but if you have waterproof boots, you’ll barely notice it. You’ll need a recreation pass or $5 to pay on site.

Did this hike on a Saturday morning - 20 cars parked by 830am. Tripled to quadrupled by time we left at 11am!

Well maintained trails, some parts under renovation, that meander through switchbacks and along the two lakes. I personally liked Talapus Lake better - bigger and more picturesque. The hubs liked Ollalie better - less people.

This hike is super doable for all ages and fitness levels. I'm not sure how AllTrails ranks hikes but I'd say this one is more an "easy" or "easy-moderate" hike, not a "moderate" hike. I'd come back, next time with my inflatable SUP!

awesome moderate grade. went in late may while there was still snow near olallie. beautiful

Don't forget your Off and a back pack rod, great fun. That's ( Off as in bug spray)

We have done this hike 4 times from May to September and it never gets old.

Great family hike. The lakes are stunning personally I like talapus better than. Ollalie. The trail is well maintained and also is great for backpacking and fishing

Great hike to both lakes! My dog enjoyed a swim in Ollalie lake before heading back down. The switchbacks are a nice steady incline with great scenery. We got there T 8:30 and there was already a lot of cars but the WTA was also doing trail work so the volunteers were there. Still several people on the trail - not too heavy but we did pass quite a few hikers. Don't forget to pay the forestry use fee.

Well maintained trail. Not too steep. Nice view of the lake.

Excellent hike- steady climb but no part particularly steep. Well maintained -busy but not overly crazy. Got to trailhead at 8:30 on a Saturday am. Some bugs- more by lakes but not unbearable. Just lovely all the way up.

Dog friendly and my 5 year old made it to the second lake. Took about four hours including stop for lunch.

i hiked talapus and olallie lake and i must say Talapus was decent and olallie was not worth the extra mile or so. extremely short hike and very easy to walk.

Fun, short hike! Perfect to do early in the morning on a weekday - I only encountered a handful of people. I agree with many of the other hikers that this trail is on the easier side. The grade is pretty mild the whole time. It took me 2 hours total to visit each lake, including time spent exploring around Olallie Lake. (That doesn't include time just lounging though!)

Was there at 9:15 and parking lot was already full, and cars were starting to stack up. Be wary if arriving later.....that being said, fun hike with an amazing view of the lakes as a reward. Trail for the most part is well maintained, but we lost it a couple times but were easily able to correct. Nice view of some small falls from the trailhead along with some fun bridges to traverse. A moderate, fun hike...two thumbs up!!!!!

I would categorize it as easy. Has a nice shaded, wide path, the ground is soft and muddy at places. The elevation gain is smooth. There are short, dilapidated bridged that need to be crossed, it's better to cross those one at a time. You might need find a place a little further away from the rest of the crowd to camp at the Lake Ollalie

I was expecting more. Definitely an easier hike, the views were great but there were some negatives to it. Major tip- get there early. I got on the trail at 730am and only passed one other hiker on the way up. On the way down though... ended up passing many many groups just starting their trek and that was around 10-1030am.

I ended up going off trail a bit at the first lake to get a better view. Was definitely gorgeous but the trail crew was out doing some "construction" a little bit off the trail so instead of being able to sit in silence and enjoy the sounds of the lake, all you could hear was their music and their axes going. I decided to not stick around at Talapus for long because of that. Ended up going left towards Olallie Lake instead of towards Pratt and was alone on the trail the rest of the way which was nice, but when I ended up getting to the second lake, there were overnight campers in all the good spots that are clearly marked for day use only. I was a bit bummed I couldn't get closer to the lake in some areas because I didn't want to disrespect their camp, even though they weren't supposed to be there.

All and all, the views were good. Just my experience could have been better.

This is a decent hike. There were bugs at the lake, but manageable. About 6 miles round trip. The first lake was not all that great. Hike a few more miles and the second lake is picnic-worthy. There were switchbacks but isn't that bad. Elevation wasn't that bad either. Husbamd and I both enjoyed this relaxing hike.

I would not rate this as moderate at all, this was quite an easy hike. Not to say it wasn't lovely; sitting by the lake and eating lunch was very enjoyable but it was not strenuous at all. Trail was in pristine condition and the weather was nice.

Super easy if that's what you're looking for. Fun to sit at the lake for a bit too!

Well maintained trail with great views of the lakes. This is a much more quiet hike compare to Rattlesnake or Wallace Falls which is a great thing! Still very fun and lots of things to see.

Did the hike in 4 hours including stopping for pictures a couple times. Definitely a good hike for people who are looking for a moderate trail to start.

Great hike for all ages. Scenic creek and lakes. A bit muddy around Talapus lake but plenty of dry spots to have a picnic/rest stop.

Easier than expected. To me felt more of an easy hike.

Got to the trailhead right before 8 today. Constructions workers were finishing packing up. Trail was just filled with new dirt, made it a little hard to walk through. Once we made it to the snow area we lost the trail but easily found our way back. The trail from here was very watery from the melting snow. Both lakes were beautiful. There's a nice place to sit when you first make it to Olallie Lake.

Great hikes. Made it all the way up to Ollallie Lake. Go early to prevent postholing.

Enjoyed our hike yesterday to Talapus where we enjoyed lunch overlooking the lake. We found the first part of the hike to be average (wooded with some switchbacks) but once we got past that portion and along the creek, it was absolutely beautiful, especially with the volume of water coming down the creek. Trail was still quite snowy and muddy for the last third but still navigable. Note it was posted that the trail was closing for a period later this month for construction.