Swan Creek Trail

Swan Creek Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tacoma, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 387 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Swan Creek Park is a 373-acre park located on the boundary between East Tacoma and Pierce County. The park offers a salmon bearing stream, forest and wooded canyon. Visitors will enjoy paved and natural trails as well as a community garden.

really good hike. challenged me. definitely a moderate difficulty. it rained a couple days ago so trail was a little muddy and leaves all over. watch your step when going up and down the inclines. enjoy!

I've been here quite a few times and never had a real problem with druggies and bums -- although one time me and my friend were fairly certain we witnessed a drug deal in the car next to us. Really pretty place that I would consider close to an actual hike right in the middle of the suburbs.

Firstly if you know what part of town you’re in you wouldn’t be surprised with the type of people you’re seeing. So knowing that prepare yourself to have your car broken into don’t leave valuables in the car bring a buddy. I have hiked this trail numerous times never have had a problem with A. Getting my car broken into. B. Having a problem or run ins with the homeless/druggies. People are so easy to judge and bash. I’m super thankful that this trail is close by as well as, a good practice for other moderate trails. Would highly recommend.

DO NOT GO HERE, as soon as you pull in you will see 5+ cars with homeless tweakers doing drugs. We turned back and out our purses in the house and decided to try to at least walk through to the trail 30 feet into the trail you see homeless druggies popping out of bushes !! Turned around immediately ! NOT SAFE!!

I used to use this trail all the time as a training trail for my kid because it has a great variation of incline and decline. NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING IN YOUR CAR! This trail head has become a junkie’s paradise. At over a mile in on the trail I had a man come out of the woods and asked me if I had any money to spare. There are homeless camps and tarps strung throughout the woods just off the trail. They have block up the creek in areas making pools for bathing in. There is garbage in feces all over the place. I left with the garbage bag I carry in my gear packed full of cans and other general garbage and I now need a new pair of trail gloves because I threw these ones away after touching this stuff. Never hike this trail without your weapon at the ready. This place used to be a great gem and has become a junkie’s paradise thanks a lot Pierce County you’ve let them ruin this place.

nice walk for my doggie . shady parking lot...

Spent 2 hours exploring thoroughly all the books and cranes early Sunday morning and loved it! Really peaceful and secluded, only passed about 4-5 other hikers in the 2 hours.

really fun, but scary if you're afraid of heights!

This trail used to be so great except it’s starting to be taken over by homeless camps. There were some spots that you could go into the creek but it looks like they have made them into bathing areas.

A few homeless living in cars in parking lot. One tent in woods and came across two separate groups of men clearly doing drugs. The trail itself is nice with lots of ups and downs...somewhat challenging.

bridge out

Don’t recommend!!!! Went to bring my niece and nephew there and didn’t feel safe the moment we pulled in, people sleeping in broken down vehicles and scary guy sitting at entrance. We immediately left.

really great hike! there's a lot of ups, downs, and stairs so be prepared for that! really great work out. we only went 2 miles up but you could see the creek pretty much the whole time. I brought a small dog (shih tzu) and she was able to do it with pretty much no problems but I picked her up for the stairs and some small steeper parts

Quick and nice. Wear proper shoes and bug spray!

definitely need boots and bug spray for this one. I rolled my ankle bad 3 times before we turned around and headed back about 1/2 mile in. we baby wear and it was a more difficult trail because there are abrupt edges, big rocks halfway in the ground, lots of trip hazards and some mud. I wouldnt let my kids walk it personally, we will be back though once I've gotten some boots. very beautiful minus all the satanic symbols and people living in the parking lot lol

Parking lot Car Prowls are very high in this area.

kinda in this ghetto area but the hike was fun!

Trained dogs recommended

It was fun! Kids had fun. We’ll be back again

fun hike, more hills than expected though!