Swan Creek Trail

Swan Creek Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tacoma, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Swan Creek Park is a 373-acre park located on the boundary between East Tacoma and Pierce County. The park offers a salmon bearing stream, forest and wooded canyon. Visitors will enjoy paved and natural trails as well as a community garden.

37 minutes ago

tweakers living in their cars in the parking lot, the trail was nice once you get allot further in and pass the tweakerdom of the beginning of the place.

Awesome trail! Very peaceful. I would recommend this trail if you have dogs!

Ok...There are drug users and homeless in the parking lot. Some garbage about. But...boy, Its so well worth walking past them. I felt that being armed would be appropriate. Husband and I took our dogs for an hour walk one direction thru an enchanting creek with gentle ankle deep water, and stunning trees and vegetation. We stuck to the creek, and didn’t take the trail. It was so very pretty, the dogs loved it. There is a small, clean lake where the trail starts. No drug users past the parking lot...a guy was puking in the parking lot next to our vehicle when we returned. Welcome to Swan Creek!

Didn’t even get out of my car. The garbage, spray painting and the guy living out of his van was enough for me. I did a u turn and went to another park.

Nice walk through woods and canopy overhang next to a creek. Pretty easy trail, used a stroller instead of backpacking the little one (I’d backpack when doing it again though), parts of the trail we had to lift the stroller over roots and rocks ( some stairs), decent elevation changes for pushing stroller, but overall pretty easy. would do it again, convenient do to location.

A terrific trail. This is a great “moderate” trail as it has plenty of hills and flat parts. There are no water spots or restrooms along the trail, but there are plenty of exits along the trail if you want to make it shorter. I will definitely do this again.

Beautiful trail. You wouldn’t know it was close to so much development if you couldn’t hear the traffic. Nice to be by the creek. One person on trail had dog off leash but as soon as he saw me he put it on.

Hill of doom!!!

LOVED this trail with two dogs. We ended up on a street because we didn’t know how to get back to our original destination but found our way with gps.

I love this trail through a wooded ravine with a meandering creek and lots of native plants.
I use to tramp through woods like these all the time as a kid. I still love them as an adult. Plus it's less than 15 minute drive to get there.

surprisingly great trail. watch out for stinging nettle tho

beautiful!

Didnt even get out of my car there was 3 cars with homeless people drying their clothes and one girl laying on the seat with her legs out asleep and i was uncomfortable taking my baby out and also leaving my car there. 

good hike. easy. beautiful scenery and friendly ppl. but please please keep ur dogs on a leash....out of respect for other ppl with dogs. its just plain rude.

Super cool. Fun to walk around.

This trail is nice. Well maintained and has a beautiful creek at the bottom. There's also different routes to exit off of the trail if you would like to make it shorter.

The inclines are manageable and get the heart rate going. In addition, there are paved roads at the top of the trail that allow you to add distance to your hike.

The one draw back is inconsiderate dog owners who allow their dogs to run free 100s of feet ahead of them. for a person who doesn't like dogs this is very annoying!

But overall one of my favorites!!!

Good trail for a strong workout and to be in nature. Some parts are very narrow and elevated so falling would be disastrous. I wouldn’t recommend the full trail for little kids, and proper hiking boots are essential.

Went early on a Friday morning. So it was basically empty. Well I was walking, my husband was doing the Mt. Bike section. Which he had fun. They have easy & difficult. But best to come really early for that, since it gets packed.

Myself and 3 kids did this hike this morning before the rain hit. The kids loved the bridges and bird watching. The trail isn't really marked but it's obvious. We met many friendly people along the way and felt very comfortable. I'm not in great shape but had no issues in my sneakers. Some parts of the trail are narrow from washouts but still easily traversed. We will be back!

This is a great hike that I highly recommend with a partner. I don’t recommend single female hikers as some of the people on the trail seem a little shady and a few smoking pot. The trail is an average challenge which is great for beginners and a great trail to practice on. It is a quiet scenic trail, very few people on a weekends and even quieter during the week. I plan on using this trail as my training trail for a big backpack trip this summer. I think the average person will be surprised by all the beauty.

A great hike for the area. There are some hilly areas and stairs. It was beautiful today but I wish I would have brought my walking sticks.

This isn’t your typical urban trail. I made the mistake of not wearing my hiking boots and just wore my trail shoes, I was still able to hike it, but I would have felt more stable with my boots. There is one washout across the trail but it easy to walk through.

Overall a great trail. Decent elevation gain, a nice workout. Because of the recent storms, a couple areas of the trail are partially washed out. One area in particular was tricky with kids and dogs. Not impassable, just watch your footing. Some icy spots I don't expect to clear up soon, but obviously not a spring and summer problem. :)

Fun easy walk through the woods great views lite incline and easy to find

Great place to take your dog (not for small dogs). I have a pom and I had to carry him most of the way. If you do bring a small dog I recommend you bring a dog backpack carrier.

Nice trail

A great location for a quick hike, tucked away behind a developing neighborhood.
The kids and I ran into friendly hikers who helped with navigating the trail and it was nice to see a thriving community garden.
As we left, there were questionable loitering around the parking lot and garbage in the parking lot,
besides that, the trail was a great way to spend an sunny Autumn -Sunday.

Pros:
Good workout
Close by
Well-maintained trail

Cons:
Sketchy trailhead and area
Graffiti and trash along beginning of trail
Difficult to get a good foot grip on some of the dirt areas

I'd recommend hiking here with a buddy or two - we met several shady-looking guys and homeless men along the way. Also has some significant elevation gains and losses that require sure footing. The path is pretty narrow in some spots and you'd take quite a spill if you happened to slip.

Wouldn't take my dog till she was better on the leash. Some spots I wouldn't want her to pull me.

Great Sunday morning trail to take our 4 year old grandchild on. Fun scenic hike. Note the painted rock (in photos) she discovered someone had hidden in a log. Still there as of 8/26/17 if you want to watch for it.