Swan Creek Trail

Swan Creek Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tacoma, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Swan Creek Park is a 373-acre park located on the boundary between East Tacoma and Pierce County. The park offers a salmon bearing stream, forest and wooded canyon. Visitors will enjoy paved and natural trails as well as a community garden.

Super cool. Fun to walk around.

This trail is nice. Well maintained and has a beautiful creek at the bottom. There's also different routes to exit off of the trail if you would like to make it shorter.

The inclines are manageable and get the heart rate going. In addition, there are paved roads at the top of the trail that allow you to add distance to your hike.

The one draw back is inconsiderate dog owners who allow their dogs to run free 100s of feet ahead of them. for a person who doesn't like dogs this is very annoying!

But overall one of my favorites!!!

Good trail for a strong workout and to be in nature. Some parts are very narrow and elevated so falling would be disastrous. I wouldn’t recommend the full trail for little kids, and proper hiking boots are essential.

Went early on a Friday morning. So it was basically empty. Well I was walking, my husband was doing the Mt. Bike section. Which he had fun. They have easy & difficult. But best to come really early for that, since it gets packed.

Myself and 3 kids did this hike this morning before the rain hit. The kids loved the bridges and bird watching. The trail isn't really marked but it's obvious. We met many friendly people along the way and felt very comfortable. I'm not in great shape but had no issues in my sneakers. Some parts of the trail are narrow from washouts but still easily traversed. We will be back!

This is a great hike that I highly recommend with a partner. I don’t recommend single female hikers as some of the people on the trail seem a little shady and a few smoking pot. The trail is an average challenge which is great for beginners and a great trail to practice on. It is a quiet scenic trail, very few people on a weekends and even quieter during the week. I plan on using this trail as my training trail for a big backpack trip this summer. I think the average person will be surprised by all the beauty.

A great hike for the area. There are some hilly areas and stairs. It was beautiful today but I wish I would have brought my walking sticks.

This isn’t your typical urban trail. I made the mistake of not wearing my hiking boots and just wore my trail shoes, I was still able to hike it, but I would have felt more stable with my boots. There is one washout across the trail but it easy to walk through.

Overall a great trail. Decent elevation gain, a nice workout. Because of the recent storms, a couple areas of the trail are partially washed out. One area in particular was tricky with kids and dogs. Not impassable, just watch your footing. Some icy spots I don't expect to clear up soon, but obviously not a spring and summer problem. :)

Fun easy walk through the woods great views lite incline and easy to find

Great place to take your dog (not for small dogs). I have a pom and I had to carry him most of the way. If you do bring a small dog I recommend you bring a dog backpack carrier.

Nice trail

A great location for a quick hike, tucked away behind a developing neighborhood.
The kids and I ran into friendly hikers who helped with navigating the trail and it was nice to see a thriving community garden.
As we left, there were questionable loitering around the parking lot and garbage in the parking lot,
besides that, the trail was a great way to spend an sunny Autumn -Sunday.

Pros:
Good workout
Close by
Well-maintained trail

Cons:
Sketchy trailhead and area
Graffiti and trash along beginning of trail
Difficult to get a good foot grip on some of the dirt areas

I'd recommend hiking here with a buddy or two - we met several shady-looking guys and homeless men along the way. Also has some significant elevation gains and losses that require sure footing. The path is pretty narrow in some spots and you'd take quite a spill if you happened to slip.

Wouldn't take my dog till she was better on the leash. Some spots I wouldn't want her to pull me.

Great Sunday morning trail to take our 4 year old grandchild on. Fun scenic hike. Note the painted rock (in photos) she discovered someone had hidden in a log. Still there as of 8/26/17 if you want to watch for it.

Easy hike that follows the swan river. Everything is bathed in green!

Great place for a day hike. Went with my dogs and enjoyed the river. It's beautiful and relaxing. The only thing I found confusing was to be able to tell what trail to follow and where it was taking me. I think they need to be more specific at pointing that out because the second time I went for a run through a different entrance and got lost but found my way back.

Really enjoyed this hike. As many of the other reviews stated, it's surprisingly beautiful for being right in the middle of town. We took the trail along the river out and the Ridgeline Trail back which provided for some nice variety. Just about the right length and just about the right difficulty. Will definitely do this Trail again.

Great for trail running, many steep hills and valleys but extremely narrow along the upper canyon. There are about 3-4 areas with pretty extreme washouts so just use caution.

a hidden gem

Amazing trail for where it's located!

Not too easy but not too hard! Fitbit counted Swan Creek Trail (did not do the Canyon Trail) as 899 calories burned.

Beautiful, right amount of challenge & diverse!

This is a moderate effort kind of trail with many opportunities for aerobic activity thanks to the many inclines throughout the path. The creek had been drained in part of the bed allowing for a fun trip down to visit Creek areas which couldn't be visited otherwise.

It also has a side bike trail and many entrances which allow for quick access from many points. Watch for the amazingly comfortable chair made of an old wood trunk complete with table and fairy house :)

my little family enjoyed this gem father's day weekend, my fiance, son and I decided to adventure! lots of variety here to introduce my 4 month old to.

My fiancé, our 4 month old baby and I enjoyed this hike a few days ago and plan on exploring more of it's natural beauty. The sound of the creek and fresh forest air put our baby to sleep while we soaked up the beautiful scenery. Whether you've got 20 min or all day this forested nature trail is worth enjoying.

Great scenery n overall perfect day! I brought my service dog and my husband so I could see as much of the trail as possible

Good, local hike. Great for kids!

Cool little hike tucked away in tacoma. The trail isnt too hard but does have some good steep hills. My wife and i knocked it out pretty simply. We actually walked out along swan creek, but came back on the upper trail canyon rim or something. It was fun!!