Swakane Wildlife Area

Swakane Wildlife Area is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Monitor, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.9 miles Elevation Gain: 705 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Swakane Unit varies greatly in elevation and topography and as a result harbors a great diversity of wildlife and plant species. This includes several threatened and endangered plants. Bighorn sheep are well established on the area.

Ugly

Tue Dec 25 2018

A really nice jaunt to get your blood flowing! This place surprised me with it's unusual beauty. You get a bit of everything: wildlife (We spotted a few deer and several interesting birds- though we did hear gunshots while on the trail several times, which was unnerving), foliage (some interestiing plants/flowers), views of Wenatchee and the canyon, and plenty of green in June. It looked as if God has watercolored the hillsides green. The hills almost appeared so soft you could hop across them. The shadows cast by the sun hitting the inside of the canyon were breathtaking. What struck me the most still was the fire damage. Along the trail are several downed and charred trees and shrubbage with new budding flowers scattered amongst it all- a beautiful reminder of nature's resilience. It was hot in June with a nice canyon breeze. We saw one other couple on the trail. No rattlesnakes for us. Enjoy!

Thu Aug 03 2017

Short, but nice hike. Just a walk up a dirt road really. Great views at the top, despite the radio towers. An AWD vehicle is not a bad idea going up, but not essential. Too bad a bunch of spent ammo casings were at the gate, people need to clean up after themselves.

Tue Jul 11 2017

Instead of going up the road to the radio towers, take a left at the gate and follow the ridgeline West out to Eagle Rock.

Sun Apr 23 2017

It wasn't really a trail. It was mostly just waking up a dirt road for vehicles. The views were really great, I was just disappointed it wasn't actually a trail.

Sun Jun 12 2016

Not a bad trail. Constant uphill and downhill with little to no shade. Some great view of Wenatchee from the north side.

Sat Jun 20 2015

Awesome hike. Road to the trail head was pretty rough but if you go slow it's ok. Once the map app brings you to the trail, there is no easy way to see signage indicating where to go. You can see a cut in the mountain which is an old road that is the main hiking trail. The first half mile is steeper than most of the hike. We made it about 2.5 miles before needing to turn around due to another obligation later in the day. I would guess it's another 1.5 to 2.0 miles to the top. I would bring a lite jacket, as when we started it was 75 in Wenatchee, 70 at the trail head and probably 10 degrees colder where we turned around and it was more and more windy the higher you go. I would say this is a reasonable hike for all skills levels as the trail is in good shape and the incline is consistent but reasonable. I would do this hike again in a heart beat especially with more time.

Sat May 23 2015

This trail is soooo beautiful! I don't know what was better, the sparkling rainbow of quartz that littered the ground the entire way (bigger pieces higher up) or the fact the it was one of those days where it rained, hailed, and the sun peaked through the clouds at times too! I hiked into the clouds, and the higher up I got, the less I could really see. There was not another soul on the trail, and I saw plenty of wildlife and an array of gorgeous wildflowers. If I lived in the area, this would be one I would frequent. Be prepared! the turn around is at the 3 mile mark, making it a 6 mile round trip, or if you continue to the top it will be closer to 9. It is a steady uphill bruiser with breathtaking views. Bring plenty of water with you, this is forest service land.

Sat Apr 25 2015

Nice, better in the morning to catch the sunrise.

Sun Mar 09 2014

I hiked up the decommissioned FR 5215 which is now used as a trail. The road climbs gradually along the side of the canyon for many miles. The first 2 miles were snow free but after 3 miles I was sinking up to my knees and unfortunately I left my snowshoes in the car. I didn't see anyone else on the trail, only herds of deer on the hillsides. The snow dusted canyon was quite beautiful and a nice option for a winter hike. The dirt road to the trail-head was in great shape the first 1.1 miles. For the next 1.6 miles the road narrows and there are a few potholes and cracks to negotiate but its doable. A Discover Pass is also required.

Fri Mar 30 2018