Sunrise Rim Trail

Sunrise Rim Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Packwood, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,115 feet Route Type: Loop

This nature trail is located at the Sunrise Visitor Center at Mt Rainier National Park, Washington. (Please note it is in an entirely different location than Paradise.) Great views of Mt Rainier, the Northern Cascades, the Tatoosh Range, etc. Moderate trail great for families, not accessible for limited mobility. Soil & loose gravel with steep drop offs in places as well as sensitive sub-alpine wildflower habitat (spring to late summer bloom) - keep kids close. The Sunrise Nature Trail traverses subalpine meadows just north of the Sunrise parking area. A gentle climb to the ridge top offers awesome breathtaking views of Mount Rainier, with Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, and Mount Adams in the distance. Stay on trail to protect fragile plants. Rocky Mountain goats can sometimes be seen along the trail. At an elevation of 6,400 feet, Sunrise is the highest point that can be reached by vehicle at Mount Rainier National Park. In summer, mountain meadows abound with wildflowers. On clear summer days, Sunrise provides breathtaking views of Mount Rainier, Emmons glacier, vibrant wildflower meadows. Sunrise Point offers nearly 360-degree views of the surrounding valleys, Mount Rainier, and other volcanoes in the Cascade Range such as Mount Adams. These views and an excellent trail system make Sunrise the second most visited location in the park. The Sunrise Road usually opens in late June or early July and closes in late September to early October. Check the road status before setting out.

Did this trail loop on Sat morning, 8/24, at about 9am. Word of advice, get there early! I was so happy as we were driving out 3 hours later at noon, and there was a line over a mile long waiting to get into the parking lot. There was even a ranger stopping the traffic at the parking lot area, only letting a vehicle in as one othe. Leaves. Unfortunately it was cloudy when we started, and never completely cleared. I'll take the trade off for getting right in and right out though, as I would've never stayed and waited in that line. Still had incredible views, even with some of the larger peaks obscured. Trails were all very well marked and in great shape. Steep inclines, so be in decent shape at least or you won't make it. Loved the trails, will be back for more!

Easy

Did this trail on 8/15 as a loop to Burroughs Mountains, up to Freemont Lookout and down to Sourdough Ridge to Sunrise visitor center .. Beautiful day, glad I was prepared for a bit of chilly temperatures because of the wind blowing.. Be careful going up to Sunrim as they’re big DROPS and trail is very narrow on that part of the trail, once you start entering the Burroughs Mountains.. One wrong step and you’re a goner!!!!

Weather very foggy. Unable to see views. Would like to redo hike on a clear day. Tundra meadows scenic.

Friday August 9 Beautiful trail, seems to be well maintained.

Beautiful hike with lots of photo opts despite being heavily trafficked. Saw marmot, mountain goats and some chatty Clark’s nutcrackers.

A beautiful hike, but this is definitely NOT an easy hike. The Park Service rates it as difficult, especially with having to traverse three steep snowfields today. The problem with the rating notwithstanding, the wildflowers were beautiful, I saw a mountain goat and her kid cross the trail about 100 feet in front of me, several other hikers saw bears. Mount Rainier, of course, dominates, immense and dramatic. I would guess the wildflowers will last at least two or three weeks; mostly early wildflowers were blooming: paintbrush, bear grass, pasque flower, fleabane, with most of these at the lower altitudes. No problem with bugs.

Beautiful 360 views! Absolutely stunning. Wildflowers in full bloom and we saw some mountain goats in the distance. Go early because it got pretty hot around 10:30/11am. Bring bug spray and snacks. The incline is a little rough but so worth it once you get to the top! Definitely will be doing again.

Beautiful hike with epic views! Packed in our lunch and stopped to eat it halfway. The elevation can be challenging for the first half, but it’s worth it. Just make sure to pack plenty of water and allow plenty of time!

Gorgeous hike. Dont forget bug spray like we did...:)

This hike was absolutely stunning!!! One of, if not the most beautiful view of Rainier I’ve ever seen. I would highly recommend it!! Now here’s a few notes from our hike on 7/22/19: 1. The Sunrise Rim Trail isn’t clearly marked at the beginning so we ended up doing a portion of Sourdough Ridge. It turned out to be a beautiful detour, but was unexpected. 2. When we got to the second Burroughs, there was quite a bit of snow. We were hiking in sneakers and it was too slippery and steep for us. 3. We arrived at just after 11 and parking was filling up. By the time we left there was no parking at all! I would recommend getting there early. 4. The wild flowers were in full bloom!!!!

Fun trail with stunning views of Mt Rainier. We were able to see lots of wildlife along this trail.. an owl, a bear (across Shadow lake), a buck and marmots!

This trail is a wonderful way to see Rainer in all of its glory. We went in July and had a wonderful time. I will always remember this trail.

hiked mid October. clear skies , perfect hiking weather. stunning views of Mt Rainer,surrounding ranges and Mr Adams.

Beautiful views from every turn. A little ice on trail, happy I had my poles.

I did this trail on Sept 9th (took about 3 hours), and it was breathtaking despite the cloud cover! Get there early to beat the crowds. I started at 8:30 am and took the little dirt path to Sunrise Rim trail towards Emmons Glacier overlook, inclined via Burroughs Mountain trail to 1st Burroughs Mountain, and came back down via Sourdough Ridge trail. The incline might be a small challenge for beginners since it's on a narrow trail at the edge of a cliff, but more experienced hikers would consider it a piece of cake. Nice weather, no bugs, and no ice on the trail. The scenery is diverse... forests, rivers, lakes, meadows, and at times barren, rocky alpine conditions. Coffee and a black bean burger at the lodge were much needed before the drive back to Seattle. Overall, worth it for the views!

Great hike!!!! you are screwed if you aren’t there by 10am. The line is over a mile long just to pay the park fee. Then you have 10 more mile drive up the mountain and there won’t be anymore parking spots. A bit many people for my liking but I’m glad I did it.

Beautiful hike! In my opinion, better to start from the point where the trail is closest to the service road. This way, you face Rainier for more than half of the hike. 5 miles took us 3 hours which included a lot of stopping for pictures.

Monday, August 13, 2018

Easy enough to do, although some uphills in parts - about 1,000 feet increase in elevation. Great views of the mountains, lakes, valleys and some wildlife. Even saw a fox that was not at all afraid of us!

Friday, August 10, 2018

I did this hike with my kids and it was great. we stopped at the lake so the kids could dip their feet. A bit of an up hill at the end that they weren't thrilled about but they did it.

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Great views of Rainier. Start early to beat crowds. Easy hike.

Monday, July 30, 2018

Pretty hike. Connected to several other trails, easy to continue on.

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Several ways to do this hike. We went up to first Burroughs. That is the 5.3 hike. The lesser loop is like 3.3. Amazing views!! Go early. Waited in line for an hour to get in the park. Easy trail till you get to Shadow Lake then moderate to top of Burroughs. Don’t miss this one!! Worth the drive!

Sunday, September 24, 2017

First half of the trail (going from the far side of the parking lot, NOT going up the hill behind the lodge) was beautiful - lots of trees, beautiful views. Starting up the Burroughs was nice, the scenic overlook alone is worth the trip. Continuing up the Burroughs was a different story. The trail gets narrow in spots, usually where the ground is entirely loose rocks, and quite a few of the other hikers were not too polite about us having a 1 year old on our back. We were bumped and forced off the trail more than a few times by other hikers that were blissfully unaware there was another human. Getting to the top of the second Burrough was tough, it was bleak tundra with a biting wind, and the trail was icy in a few spots. Coming down the backside the ice was even worse. Thankfully we had poles and crampons, or we would have had to turn around. All in all, a beautiful hike, but none of our group would have rated it ‘easy’ given the ice and loose rock underfoot. But the view was definitely worth it