Sunrise Rim Trail Loop and Mount Fremont Lookout

Sunrise Rim Trail Loop and Mount Fremont Lookout is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

A loop trail on the northeast side of Mt. Rainier to Burroughs Mountain & Frozen Lake with a side trip to Mt. Freemont This is a great loop hike that will take you to a fire tower, several alpine lakes and a close up view of Mt. Rainier from the top of Burroughs Mountain with a return on the famous Wonderland Trail. The trails are easy to follow and the views are spectacular. Bring a camera.

Didn’t feel like 8 miles at all! So many waypoints and views and nature to look at. The views make this hike! Clouds did roll in and we lost the views of Rainier on Burroughs, but the valley and lake were gorgeous coming down. Fremont was the sketchiest part of the trail, but not too bad. Agree with another reviewer, enough loose rock to keep you engaged and not get bored. Bring warm layers and micro spikes if your shoes have lost their tread like mine!

Hi Katherine Wong, This is a late reply to your questions, but I'd say YES to all of them! I did this as a solo female hiker who rented a Hyundai to take me to every trailhead in the North Cascades, Olympic NP, and Mt. Rainier areas. It is a beautiful hike with views of Mt. Rainier the whole way. The trail to the outlook is on the edge of the mountain that can seem kind of sketchy if you have an issue with heights, but I recommend it since it gives you a different viewpoint of Rainier and the surrounding mountains and valleys. The signage is good and the trails are easy to follow. The Frozen Lake wasn't a lake when I was there, so it confused me to thinking I was on the wrong trail, but the signs straightened me out :) I also hiked to the first and second Burroughs to catch a view of the glacier at a wonderful overlook to eat lunch. Most of the trail is in the sun and above tree line, so bring hat, sunscreen, and water. Totally doable by yourself if you are used to hiking distances.

Hello hikers, am hoping to Sunrise RIm Trail Loop this Oct.
In need of information:
1. Is trail marking visibly available?
2. Solo female hiker, ok?
3. Can sedan or require SUV car to trailhead?
Appreciate much with all the advice I can get.

We took our 9 year old daughter here on Saturday. She's pretty used to hiking with us now and she did great going to the top of the freemont trail. the views are so beautiful! I recommend (especially if you will only do this hike once,) that you wait to go until all of the fires going on in Canada are done with, because it was very Smokey and hazy looking. I would definitely loved to do this hike on a clear haze free day. We saw some mountain goats, my husband's new favorite animal! Lol. The only thing was for us was that we couldn't finish the last 10 mins or so of the hike because the pathway is VERY NARROW! With a straight down fall to your death type cliff on one side and mountain rocks on the other. Our daughter was not comfortable with it at all, and we weren't okay with her walking there either, so we made the mommy daddy decision to turn around. All in all it was a beautiful hike, just wait for the smoke to clear out, and also, if you're afraid of heights, this is not the trek for you! ; ) Next we will do the burroughs trail but it's covered in some sketchy cliff snow spots, so I'm waiting til September!

(7/30/17) Beautiful meadows with wildflowers, incredible views from Mt Fremont Lookout, some snow patches, heavily trafficked in morning - crowds thinned in the afternoon, great views of glaciers, lots of sun (no tree cover), good breeze (not many bugs)

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Amazing views! Not hard.

Sunday, October 09, 2016

great easy hike!!!

Thursday, September 29, 2016

Explained it well as it described!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Beautiful Trail! Pretty easy to do, and a ton of fun! No dogs are allowed, and it wouldn't be the best for kids, but it is a beautiful hike with amazing views of the mountain.

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Awesome hike that you can take even inexperienced hikers on. The climb is very gentle, but the views are absolutely stunning from just about any stopping point you choose. Just remember to make sure you go when the Sunrise Entrance to the Mt. Rainier national park is open since they do close this entrance for many months of the year.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017