Sunrise Ridge Trail to Mount Angeles

Sunrise Ridge Trail to Mount Angeles is a 5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Really gorgeous, steep hike. There were 2 sections of switchbacks. The first set are not long, but extremely steep. The 2nd set are pretty long, but managable. There are many bees, but they are busy with more important things. We saw tons of wildflowers, lots of chipmunks, plenty of deer, at least 30 goats, and these animals that looked like giant groundhogs. Once you get to the summit, all the hard work really pays off. Fog had rolled in and made us feel like we were in the clouds! Will definitely be returning.

Caught the sunrise from here, it's pretty spectacular. Views pretty much all the way up. A good half of the path is not well maintained but that's likely from how few traffic through (I was the only one on the trail during my hike). The mountain is a good climb for novice and intermediate climbers, I simply went up with a water bladder, my phone, and a flashlight. A good amount of wildlife can be spotted, too!

My husband and I just hiked this trail today. We wanted to hike hurricane hill but unfortunately it was closed. So we figured we should do another hike in the vicinity since getting up to hurricane ridge took so long due to construction on the main park road. We felt like we went up and down 3 small mountains/hills to get to what didn’t even feel like the summit. We did see a mom and baby mountain goat (so cool!) but besides that felt like the hike was just meh. Also we keep seeing the hike labelled as 2.5 miles and we were confused because we definitely hiked more than that. We were going to settle for it just being an unfortunate hike until downloading this app and reading the comment that says we were supposed to veer LEFT at the arrow “trail” sign when we in fact went RIGHT because we saw people in front of us heading that direction (it seemed like the arrow was pointing that way). Now I feel dumb and annoyed. Oh well. Everyone else: stay left at the unclear arrow sign if you want mount Angeles!

amazing hike! saw a mountain goat at the summit of mount Angeles. minimal snow, although at the foot of the summit climb there still is some which can make it difficult to follow the trail- nothing crazy though. breath taking views!! did the entire thing & stopped for a picnic in 4.5 hours.

Amazing views.

Very enjoyable hike through various terrain types that goes up and down most of the way. Going towards Mount Angeles can get confusing. When you get to a sign that said "Trail" and points straight ahead (someone also annotated "Klahhane Ridge" on the sign), veer left coming from Hurricane Ridge. That will take you to Mount Angeles.

After that turn off, the trail can get hard to see in a few spots. But that isn't a negative. Just need to pay closer attention to turns.

Didn't record but the best view I've ever Sean

Didn't record but the best view I've ever Sean

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Was an awesome hike the weather was great.. warm with the occasional breeze! Horse flies where out strong! The bees didn't care about us! But it is a good hike! No goats out today! My son and I enjoyed this hike!

Monday, July 24, 2017

Great hike , but be prepared for leg burner from the Klahanne ridge trail up Mt. Angeles. it gets really steep on this section but once you get to the top you are rewarded for your efforts by an amazing view. Then if you still have energy left you can scramble up the last rocky section all the way up to the summit.

Sunday, July 16, 2017

This was beautiful!

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

I definitely wouldn't consider this a moderate hike. It was extremely steep in places and had lots of long uphill climbs. Parts of the trail had snow that was manageable, but one section had a steep slope covered in snow. We slid our way down, going back up it was a job though. The section leading to Mount Angeles was super steep! Lost the trail several times and had a hard time scrambling up the gravel slopes. Made it all the way to the rock face of Mount Angeles, but turned around because I was terrified haha. Didn't see any goats, and got sunburned, but the views were stunning! It was worth it to see those views.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Beautiful drive, beautiful visitors center. Clear trail, but not clear directions. When entering the parking lot, go in either of the first two trail entrances heading towards Klahanne Ridge. Follow that to the right for a couple miles before a junction, turn towards the right to continue on Klahanne Ridge or go straight up for a steep hike before a small scrambling section to the top of Mt. Angeles.
Super cool and something for all skill!

Saturday, July 23, 2016

What a stunningly beautiful hike. This one has to rate with the best I've ever done. Beautiful views of Olympic snow capped high peaks, beautiful wild flowers, butterflies, yellow jackets and horseflies. Nice trail surface for those with sensitive knees, nicely spaced ups and downs to give your stress levels some variety. The climber's trail leading to the peak of Mt Angeles is a bit steeper, saw some snow banks left over from winter(now july22), saw a marmot, rabbit, yelled at a goat during the final scramble to the top. He looked down his nose at me and turned away as he rested on a nearby rock....never bothered us 4 at the top. Saw some flowers blooming in niches at the top along with Orange lichen. Hang on tight for the last 25 feet or so... Great views, worth the climb.

Thursday, July 21, 2016

Great hike, probably closer to 6 or 7 miles with 2500 ft elev gain. None of these tracks go all the way to the tippy top. The scramble to the summit is quite exposed for the last little bit, but if you are careful and have good shoes it's doable and well worth it for the views. I had run ins with a couple goats up there, made for some tremendous photos!

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

If you can manage it safely, the scramble to the summit is worth it! We took the very steep switchback trail on a hot day. Bring lots of water!

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Fun! Steep hike, lots of mountain goats so we couldn't go all the way to the summit, but if you're willing to do some climbing the summit is well worth it.

Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Great hike even though it was completely overcast and raining. Incredibly peaceful. Beautiful wildflowers everywhere. Went during the week and there was not another soul on the trail.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

This Trail was awesome.
I did not have GPS with me or any way to track my exact mileage, but based on my map, I went about seven miles out to Rocky peak before turning around. So probably 14 miles round trip. It took about 6 or 7 hours to complete, but I was taking my time, stopping a lot and taking lots of pictures.

The trail gets REALLY beautiful right between Mount Angeles and Rocky peak, which seems to be technically called "Klahanne ridge". You can see Canada looking north, and a beautiful view of the olympic mountains to the south. Although it was mid July, there was plenty of snow still on the ground, in many places the trail was partially lost due to snow, but easy to find again.

There were a lot of mountain goat families. I saw at least 4 baby goats.

Saw the sun setting very close to the visitor center on my return trip and then turned around and watched the moon rise over the mountains. Luckily, i was there during one of the rare "super moons" in which the moon is much larger than usual. It was incredible.

Amazing hike, amazing views, great wildlife...

Elevation gain was misleading... the highest point on the trail was only about 1000ft higher than the trailhead, but there was a lot of ups and downs along the way, so i would estimate a total of 2500 ft elevation gain at the end of the day.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Set out on the trail about 10:30 AM. The visitors to Hurricane Ridge weren't too thich yet and the deer seemed unimpressed with us humans. The forecast called for 80 and sunny skies, it did not disappoint. The trail is well marked except for the junctions, which could stand for a little way pointing. No obstructions, blow downs or snow to cross for at least as far as the trail junction to go to Mt Angles shoulder. For my first visit to the Olympics it was pleasant enough. Beautiful views but no water so make sure to bring at least 2L. You will spend most time exposed to the sun as my crispy arms can attest. Disappointed no Mt goats though :( Wild flowers were in bloom.

Sunday, February 02, 2014

I have been to Hurricane Ridge several times but this was my first time snowshoeing in the area. There are several trails interconnecting from the lodge - the High Ridge/Sunrise Point trails head northeast towards Mt Angeles. The snow covered mountains and trees were gorgeous. The road which is only open Fri-Sun in the winter (weather permitting) was snow free. Note, they have a sign at the NP entrance that carrying chains is required. There was no need to chain up but I guess they want people to have them as an emergency. Knowing the weather can be unpredictable up top I got there early. Hurricane Ridge was above the clouds when I arrived but by noon the low clouds had risen and the views were partially blocked. If you don't have snowshoes or skis you can rent them at the lodge. The views might be slightly better from the top of the Hurricane Hill trail but pretty much any of the trails along Hurricane Ridge offer breathtaking views of the Olympic mountains to the south and the open sea to the north.

Monday, October 21, 2013

We took a summer hike. Nice ridge top areas, primitive trail to the backside, and plenty of well traveled areas for types.

Saturday, September 15, 2012

This is one of the prettiest views of the Olympic Mt range with Port Angeles @ it's bottom then crossing the Straight of Juan de Fuca you can see Victoria, BC & the Canadian Rockies on a clear day.....
Anyone who visits me I bring up here :)