Sunrise Ridge Trail to Mount Angeles

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(142)
Olympic National Park

Sunrise Ridge Trail to Mount Angeles is a 5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,742 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: Do not attempt to summit Mt. Angeles without proper equipment and experience.

27JUL2019 - Absolutely beautiful trail. Partly cloudy that day, but made the view even more breath-taking when the clouds subsided. Pretty easy hike from Hurricane Ridge. Highly recommend!

It was my first time hiking this trail and first time hiking a more difficult trail alone. It was great. Some muddy spots throughout. There was a nasty area of snowy/icy switchbacks about halfway in - really gnarly (not in a fun way) on the way down. Some kind of sheer areas with just a narrow trail cutting through - you get used to it, but it can be a little dizzying anyway. I was cautious at the parts that felt iffy, got real low, almost sitting, used my hands to scramble up, etc. Overall, a challenge but definitely feel like I earned some confidence. Could NOT wipe the smile from my face, basically the entire time!

This was a fun and slightly challenging trail. As everyone is mentioning, the last bit where it splits off to Mount Angeles from the main trail is extremely steep. I had to stop quite a few times to catch my breath. At the meadow, took a break and had lunch. I scrambled up the rock face a little bit, but there is no real established trail so I didn't want to risk going much further. Well worth it especially for a clear afternoon!

Amazing hike, not too challenging with amazing views the whole way. We stopped at the 2 mile mark, right before the ascent to Mt Angeles summit. A little snowy/icy, but not too bad!

Challenging trail. Loose gravel towards the last climb to mt angeles makes it a little slippery. Make sure you have good hiking shoes. However, you get great views of the park and if the clouds break you can see Canada. We also saw some deer/elk along the way.

I don’t think the mileage for the Mount Angeles specific leg is correct. Trail was sometimes difficult to follow, even on the ridge part of the trail. After forking off to climb Mount Angeles, it is STEEP. Bring a jacket for the top. Look for marmots in the meadows and make sure you have good footwear. The climb up is treacherous.

Very awesome trail! However the incline on the last mile is extreme. Even with hiking poles I fell about 8 times. Loose dirt plus a super steep trail is almost impossible not to fall on. The view from the top was amazing , you can even see Canada up there.

Great views and nice trail. Kind of a little on exposed side for those with height anxiety.

Very beautiful vistas and mountain meadows full of flowers. Lot's of ridge walks, some stretches were quite narrow and are definitely vertigo inducing (I usually don't have an issue with heights). At a trail split where the marker points to right, that goes to Klahhane Ridge, the left goes to Mount Angeles. that's where the trail turns from moderate to hard: very rough steep upward scramble over pebles and dust, was worse on the way back. I'd probably skip this part next time, it's a good hour up, then same (if not longer) on the way down. Walking poles are strongly suggested.

Klahhane Ridge to Mount Angeles and back was our route. The trail to the fork was well traveled and clearly marked. Once you turn up towards Mount Angeles the trail becomes steep and narrow. Sometimes even losing it especially towards the top. Steep and loose when the trail ends and you scramble a bit to get to the top. I made the scramble fairly easily toting a 35lb pack and a full size DSLR. Good boots and water!

We took trail to left at the split to the lake. Trail east to follow but VERY steep. No view because of clouds.

Trail conditions are good. I'd rate trail difficulty as moderate right up to the Klahane Ridge junction; as soon as you take that left fork, the difficulty level spikes and even fit, experienced hikers are going to find it a bit hard. Definitely worth the effort.

A wonderful trail that takes you on the side of the mountains of hurricane ridge. It gives you great views of the Olympic Mountains and their white majesty, while you are nestled atop beautiful green peaks. The trail is nothing too hard until you start climbing Mt Angeles. Given that this trail was listed as moderate, I didnt expect too much but the steep uphill at the very end was a lot tougher than advertised. Also, do not try to summit Mt Angeles. When the trail looks like it ends, it ends. There are faint trails that still lead up the mountain until you get to rock but I do not recommend trying to actually climb the rocky portions. It basically becomes rock climbing a 45 degree angle up with no real path. I started it and decided I didn’t want to break a leg after trying a few different and unsuccessful routes up. Other than that word of caution, it’s a great hike

Fantastic views of Olympic park mountain range. There was a bit of snow to get thru on hill. Hike up at “Trail” sign (go left) is a bit of a climb. Poles were helpful. Don’t think you are going to climb Mt Angeles.

Stunning. Beyond stunning. In terms of sheer, unrelenting visual glory, this trail is one of the best in the entire Olympics. You can continue all the way to the summit, just be careful about your hand and foot holds because there is loose rock, steep ascents, and sharp drop offs. But it’s worth it. From the top you can see Canada, the Dungeness Spit, Whidbey Island, Mt Baker, and perhaps the best panoramic view of the Olympics in the entire park.

Sat Mar 30 2019

We couldn’t get very far due to how deep the snow still was on the trail, but we did veer off to Sunrise Viewpoint summit (I think that was the name) for a stunning, 360 panorama of the mountains. Can’t wait to go back in the summer!

Sun Nov 25 2018

Hiked on 11/18/18 and didn't make it to the summit. There was a little too much ice on the trail for my comfort, even with spikes. Still a gorgeous hike though, especially along the ridge! There'll probably be snow up here come next weekend so come prepared with spikes at the very least. I did this trail earlier this summer and the snow probably won't clear until late June/early July.

Sun Oct 21 2018

I personally didn’t like this trail that much. You have good views all the way along and there’s no better view when going to the top. The last bit of the track is tiny and very slippery because of loose stones. We didn’t find the right track in the end and also didn’t had a view from the top.

Fri Oct 12 2018

Really pretty views the whole way up! The last 0.75mi up was about a 1000ft elevation gain. Climbed around the rocks at the top past where the trail technically ended. Lots of loose gravel at this point but managed to get to the top which had great views. Clocked 6mi total in 3 hours.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Really gorgeous, steep hike. There were 2 sections of switchbacks. The first set are not long, but extremely steep. The 2nd set are pretty long, but managable. There are many bees, but they are busy with more important things. We saw tons of wildflowers, lots of chipmunks, plenty of deer, at least 30 goats, and these animals that looked like giant groundhogs. Once you get to the summit, all the hard work really pays off. Fog had rolled in and made us feel like we were in the clouds! Will definitely be returning.

Thu Jul 26 2018

Caught the sunrise from here, it's pretty spectacular. Views pretty much all the way up. A good half of the path is not well maintained but that's likely from how few traffic through (I was the only one on the trail during my hike). The mountain is a good climb for novice and intermediate climbers, I simply went up with a water bladder, my phone, and a flashlight. A good amount of wildlife can be spotted, too!

Tue Jul 17 2018

My husband and I just hiked this trail today. We wanted to hike hurricane hill but unfortunately it was closed. So we figured we should do another hike in the vicinity since getting up to hurricane ridge took so long due to construction on the main park road. We felt like we went up and down 3 small mountains/hills to get to what didn’t even feel like the summit. We did see a mom and baby mountain goat (so cool!) but besides that felt like the hike was just meh. Also we keep seeing the hike labelled as 2.5 miles and we were confused because we definitely hiked more than that. We were going to settle for it just being an unfortunate hike until downloading this app and reading the comment that says we were supposed to veer LEFT at the arrow “trail” sign when we in fact went RIGHT because we saw people in front of us heading that direction (it seemed like the arrow was pointing that way). Now I feel dumb and annoyed. Oh well. Everyone else: stay left at the unclear arrow sign if you want mount Angeles!

Mon May 28 2018

amazing hike! saw a mountain goat at the summit of mount Angeles. minimal snow, although at the foot of the summit climb there still is some which can make it difficult to follow the trail- nothing crazy though. breath taking views!! did the entire thing & stopped for a picnic in 4.5 hours.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Amazing views.

Mon Sep 11 2017

Very enjoyable hike through various terrain types that goes up and down most of the way. Going towards Mount Angeles can get confusing. When you get to a sign that said "Trail" and points straight ahead (someone also annotated "Klahhane Ridge" on the sign), veer left coming from Hurricane Ridge. That will take you to Mount Angeles. After that turn off, the trail can get hard to see in a few spots. But that isn't a negative. Just need to pay closer attention to turns.