Sunrise Peak Trail

Sunrise Peak Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Randle, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,745 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The hike itself is expected to be closed due to washout on FS2324 until Summer 2019, so we didn’t not complete this hike

Friday, August 01, 2014

Access to the hike is straight forward. FR 23 to FR2324.There are two parking lots. One for large vehicles below the trailhead and a small parking area for 2 or 3 vehicles. This is a hiking trail but primarily used by motorcyclist. Because of this, the trails are mostly straight and steep. There are few switchbacks and most of the trail is deeply rutted making hiking more difficult. Bring poles, for the ruts and the steepness. If you plan a hike here, plan on motorcycles. Many of them. On the day we went, 6 passed us and of course along with the amazing view, were the amazing sounds of motorcycles. One guy was particularly nice and showed us pics he had taken of the area on his ride. That being said, this hike is well worth it! The views are gorgeous. A 4 mountain view. Mt. Rainier, Mount St. Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood in the distance for much of the way and other peaks I could not identify. If you've hiked Juniper Ridge or Peak, you get a great view of that also. On top its a 360 degree view. But beware of the flies. The whole hike is covered with them! On top, there were thousands. Swarms of flies. You couldn't spend more that 30 seconds there without being covered. I guess we chose the wrong time of year. Later in the season should be fine. I think? If you don't mind the ruts, the noise and the flies, you can bag 2 peaks on that hike. Jumbo Peak is close by. The area is beautiful and well worth it. I will do it again, but this time I'll be prepared for the motorcycles and the flies.

Friday, May 23, 2008

After a little trial and error, I found the road going up to the trail head. It is a one lane, dirt road - I would not bring a small care, there lots of large rocks and deep holes. About 3 miles from the trail head there was a land slide completely blocking the road. I was able to park close to the landslide and I was able to get around it. There is still a lot of compact ice on the road and trail. There was a couple of mid calf deep snow but mostly ankle deep. The views are spectacular and well worth the trip. I am glad that I went ahead and walked the 3 miles to the trail head, it was well worth it.

Sunday, July 27, 2014