Suntop Trail

Suntop Trail is a 16.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Buckley, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Enumclaw: Drive 29.9 miles east on State Hwy. 410 to Buck Creek Road #7160. Turn right and follow 0.3 mile to FR #7160210. Turn left and drive 0.8 mile to the trailhead.

Long hike and a great workout. However you don’t really see much as you are hiking through the woods the whole time. Next time I would just drive up for the view and do a different hike.

You can drive up towards the peak and have a shorter hike or start at the bottom. The trailhead from the bottom is near some camp sights across from the air strip, off the gravel road.

Its marked 8.3 miles at the trailhead to the top, so around 16.5 total. Lots of elevation gain on a very well kept trail. Only saw a couple of mountain bikers on the way down. Partly cloudy day but good visibility at the top. Will do again someday.

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Great hike extremely difficult and long with all the snow but worth the pain

Saturday, February 11, 2017

I unfortunately encountered underground hornets within the first 100 yards of the trail. They are about two feet off the trail just to the right. I am allergic to bees, so unfortunately didn't get to finish the hike (thought it would be wise to head down just in case I had a severe reaction) but the drive up was beautiful and I bet the hike is the same way. I plan on heading back in a few weeks to finish the hike.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

AWESOME snowshoe-but definitely a butt kicker!! Much more like 12 miles instead of 9.5-but WELL worth it!! Sights from the top are incredible!!!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The first few miles were crowded with many friendly folks on horseback, after that I didnt encounter anybody except a few mountain bikers. The trail is nicely maintained and has a nice variety of terrain, through deep shadowed glades under huge old trees, scrambles across sunny, rocky faces, and misty, mossy streams. The incline is healthy in a few places. The view from the sunny top is well worth the climb.

Friday, January 07, 2011

My friend and I started this snowshoe journey a little after 9am on New Years Day...whatta way to ring in the new year, huh? Santa brought me snowshoes this year and this was my first venture in them. We parked across from the forest service tree farm and thats where we started. We basically just hiked the road all the way up then took a left onto a trail, just past mile marker 5. The last half mile was steep with switchbacks to the top. The sun was out and it was REALLY cold and soooo worth the hike. The views from atop are absolutely breathtaking!!!
Some other friends started a little later and one of them met up with us towards the top. Was a really awesome day. I was sore for about 3 days...but it was a good sore;-)

Saturday, July 18, 2015