Summit Springs Trail #173 (Snass Creek)

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(15)
Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Summit Springs Trail #173 (Snass Creek) is a 5.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Battle Ground, Washington that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,738 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Take the left fork or it will be a steep uphill scramble ... and if you have bad knees bring a walking stick! We drove up and parked a little above the trailhead in a pullout, but it’s an easy mile walk up the road if you park in the day use lot.

Great trail! I feel reluctant to post this but.....there was NO ONE on the trail! It was great social distancing and a way to get away and just be in nature. The first 1.75 miles are straight up hill though like 1,150 elevation gain in the first mile and a half. I was super tired but it was amazing but you need to be in good shape for this one for sure. I would 100% do this trail again. Oh and when you drive up I would recommend a SUV or truck because the pot hole are super deep.

This hike was quite challenging. we took the shortcut rout and it was very steep. Some people might not like that but we enjoyed the challenge. It was beautiful and peaceful! For anyone thinking of doing this hike, I highly recommend it, but be warned, it is UP HILL! the entire way. We stopped at the rocky hill but you can go further. it had a wonderful view once the fog burned off. Don't listen to the haters, do this hike. the trail head is not marked. once you pass through Sunset Campground, the trail will be on your left about half a mile. It's just a path that goes down. Watch for it. Happy hiking!!! The description says something about a river, look through the pictures. I added a picture of my chihuahua in the "river". It's a stream.

Mon Mar 25 2019

Could not even find it based on the directions from the app. Even asked someone driving. Seriously disappointing!!

Tue May 06 2014

This trail, also known as Summit Springs trail, is actually 6 miles round trip. It is NOT a loop. The east end of the trail has a good view (of McKinley Ridge). Just don't look at the ground. Unfortunately people have left their beer cans, broken beer bottles and spent shotgun shells all over the ground. Other than that is was a pleasant hike through 2nd growth forests. I rate it about 2.5.

Mon Apr 18 2016