Summer Land Trail

Summer Land Trail is a 8.2 mile out and back trail located near Sunrise, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October.

From Seattle, east on I-90, south on I-405 and then south on Highway 169 to Enumclaw. In Enumclaw, south on Highway 410. 36.2 miles past mile marker 26 turn right on Sunrise Rd for 4.3 miles to parking area on right just after Fryingpan Creek. Parking is on either side of the road, the trailhead is on the left (southwest) side near the bridge.

beautiful!!

Beautiful hike that provides lots of good exercise!

Absolutely Beautiful! Hard incline for me since it was only my second actual hike but I did it and it was awesome. Met a few nice people too. At the top there is nice group camp site along with a well maintained bathroom. Definitely would be a great place to camp if you don't mind packing everything in and out!

Hiked a couple of weeks ago. Really beautiful hike. Great views of Rainier, wildflowers, the river, etc. Many places to stop and take beautiful pictures. Lots of wildlife too. Saw goats, plenty of marmots, and a marten. Didn't trek too much further past the camp - stopped and had a picnic on one of the big boulders instead. Highly recommend this hike but start early to beat the crowds! :)

We went on October 6 and encountered first snow! I.was glad for my hiking poles. We met hikers who went to the Gap, but we did not try it!

beautiful!

Awesome trail winding through the forest, crossing creeks and the river. Bridges and stairs are helpful along the way. The open meadow at the top is perfect for viewing the mountain and spotting a marmot in the rocky terrain. The fall colors are also out in their glory!

Such a beautiful hike, the waterfalls & wildflowers were breathtaking. We did have two young black bears cross in front of us, highly recommend taking some bear spray

Great hike easy at first harder towards the end great view of panhandle gap

Absolutely Beautiful!! This is my favorite hike yet. There were waterfalls, bridge crossings, wild flowers, stone stairs, 11 mountain goats, marmots, butterflies, and a beautiful turquoise lake. It was a moderate hike and was 12.5 miles round trip. I will definitely do this one again!!

A really beautiful day hike! Its definitely smoky at the moment but not enough to deter us. The trail was shady most of the way which was great. Plenty of gorgeous views!

Most favorite place to be, 45 minutes from my house.

Summerland was as good as it gets! Starts in the shaded forest - well-groomed and wide trail - then opens up into wildflowers and gorgeous views of Rainier...switchbacks up to the actual camp get your views better and better. Once we got there, we just had to keep going - the lake was calling us. Hike through great bolder fields to get there. It looks other-worldly. We were happy to reach the beautiful lake but looked up and saw people on the far ridge line (Panhandle Gap) and wanted to go there...so continued our journey over a couple snow patches and up. We lunched a little passed Panhandle up the highest point we could find. It was an amazing day. We started on the trailhead maybe around 6am but passed a LOT of people (on a Monday) on the way out - ended up being 12 miles! One for the books!

Great views & beautiful hike after a solid incline. Missed views due to the fog It was also misty at top & some snow was crossed. Portions of trail rocky and uneven but worth the gorgeous glacier falls. Great to see all the WA Conservation Corp volunteers crushing rock by hand & trail maintenance - gratitude. Baby marmots actually posing for photos, look for goats on the cliff side. Facilities at the top were a bonus.3 up 2 down. Busy trail but expected.

Beautiful hike. Highly suggest going past Summerland camp for at least 1 mile because the best part was after the camp. Lots of marmots and beautiful wildflowers. Fun crossings over rivers. Not too strenuous, just a steady climb. Lots of walking in woods which was nice but prefer a little more open hiking.

We went to this trail on July 26th. It was an amazing trek. We saw a lot of wild flowers and the view of Mt. Rainier was breathtaking. Throughout the hike we saw a lot of things and it was worth the effort .

Everything you could look for in a dayhike:
Waterfalls, bridges, tall trees, wildflowers, crossing glacier streams & glaciers and a glacier lake. Plus keep following the wonderland trail to glaciers and bright blue rocks, spectacular!

Plenty of wild flowers in Summerland basin this weekend

We had an amazing time! When you get to the top of Summerland you can hike up a bit further to the Panhandle Gap for some further spectacular views. Absolutely beautiful. Will definitely be back.

This hike was one of the most beautiful I’ve ever done. First 2.5 miles weren’t bad at all but the last mile and half was pretty tiring. I had to stop a couple times to catch my breath. Still a little snow at the top but you won’t need spikes or anything like that.

Incredible trek to a high mountain meadow. Keep a look out for marmots, mountain goats and the local extroverts, the many chipmunks that hang close in want of snacks.

in early August, the wildflowers are amazing. The mountain is as big as life. Marmots amusing.

Sunday, November 12, 2017

One of my favorite hikes. Summerland, in early August, is splendid with wildflowers of all colors and a refreshing, cold, beautiful stream.

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Beautiful trail first 2 miles easy then next 2 were tough in snow stooped at the group cabin and made awesome cup of coffee and enjoyed the view with the sun shining in my face

Monday, October 30, 2017

Amazing view of Rainer at the top. Little bit icy the last quarter but manageable. Highly recommend

Thursday, September 07, 2017

I have hiked this trail multiple times. Once as part of the Wonderland Trail and other times just by itself for an overnight camping trip. Trail is beautiful with jaw dropping scenery. Lots of wildlife to see. I highly recommend this trail for its beauty. One of my favorite camps on the Wonderland Trail! The first time I stayed in the 3-sided group shelter and it was a full moon. Woke up to the sun coming up and warming me up in my tent. During the night a huge elk was wandering around next to my camp and was so beautiful to see.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Beautiful day; the trail was very well maintained and not too difficult. I took my teenage son who was very reluctant but this adventure has definitely changed his tune!

Saturday, July 15, 2017

This is my favorite hike I've taken. Starting in lush, mossy forest, across Fryingpan creek, up through alpine meadows and ending in bare rocky mountain. Incredible variety and stunningly beautiful the whole way through, plus a great view of Mt. Rainier.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Beautiful view, still some snow on the trails the last 20 min but worth the effort to get passed it

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Avalanche lilies are out! So pretty. Great hike, snow about the last 1/3 mile.