Summer Land Trail

Summer Land Trail is a 8.2 mile out and back trail located near Sunrise, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until October.

From Seattle, east on I-90, south on I-405 and then south on Highway 169 to Enumclaw. In Enumclaw, south on Highway 410. 36.2 miles past mile marker 26 turn right on Sunrise Rd for 4.3 miles to parking area on right just after Fryingpan Creek. Parking is on either side of the road, the trailhead is on the left (southwest) side near the bridge.

in early August, the wildflowers are amazing. The mountain is as big as life. Marmots amusing.

One of my favorite hikes. Summerland, in early August, is splendid with wildflowers of all colors and a refreshing, cold, beautiful stream.

Beautiful trail first 2 miles easy then next 2 were tough in snow stooped at the group cabin and made awesome cup of coffee and enjoyed the view with the sun shining in my face

Amazing view of Rainer at the top. Little bit icy the last quarter but manageable. Highly recommend

I have hiked this trail multiple times. Once as part of the Wonderland Trail and other times just by itself for an overnight camping trip. Trail is beautiful with jaw dropping scenery. Lots of wildlife to see. I highly recommend this trail for its beauty. One of my favorite camps on the Wonderland Trail! The first time I stayed in the 3-sided group shelter and it was a full moon. Woke up to the sun coming up and warming me up in my tent. During the night a huge elk was wandering around next to my camp and was so beautiful to see.

Beautiful day; the trail was very well maintained and not too difficult. I took my teenage son who was very reluctant but this adventure has definitely changed his tune!

This is my favorite hike I've taken. Starting in lush, mossy forest, across Fryingpan creek, up through alpine meadows and ending in bare rocky mountain. Incredible variety and stunningly beautiful the whole way through, plus a great view of Mt. Rainier.

Beautiful view, still some snow on the trails the last 20 min but worth the effort to get passed it

Avalanche lilies are out! So pretty. Great hike, snow about the last 1/3 mile.

Very nice hike. A bit of snow at the top of the trail. Stunning views at summerland!

Friday, June 02, 2017

Hike was awesome. There was still snow melting so it was a little difficult following the path but once we found our way, the view were totally worth it.

Thursday, September 08, 2016

This was a beautiful trail from start to finish. The forest at the beginning was like stepping into another world. Then we reached the river, that at the time, looked like a flowing latte. The log bridge to cross the river was interesting. Thankfully there was a hand rail of sorts. After that it one incredible view after another. The meadows were full of blooming flowers and the sky was clear so Rainier and Little Tahoma were in their full glory. Once we reached the top where the meadows stretch up the mountainsides I was in absolute awe. The only thing that put a damper on that feeling were the signs imploring people not to walk on the meadows because they were recovering from over use and damage. People! Seriously! We all want to enjoy their beauty for a long time and they are a home for all kinds of creatures. DONT WALK ON THE MEADOWS!!! No exceptions! Anyway, we saw a marmot scurrying about and making its strange little call. It was hard to leave this amazing place. The hike back down was pretty good consolation and we saw a bear (which was slightly scary since it was only 10 feet from the trail). I will be hiking this one again for sure!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Our first time hiking Summerland. The trail itself is really well maintained. You'll cross over a number of bridges with beautiful creeks. One is fresh ice water from a nearby glacier and is convenient stopping point to put your feet in. Once you reach the 4.2 mile camping/picnic site you'll like the Von Trapp family climbing the Alps in the Sound Of Music! A truly great experience and absolutely beautiful! Go another 1.5 miles to the Panhandle for stunning views!

recorded summerland