Sugarloaf Mountain Trail

Sugarloaf Mountain Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Anacortes, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.1 miles Elevation Gain: 659 feet Route Type: Out & Back

We’re mostly exploring the Anacortes community forest lands. This is by far my favorite. We hiked on a late afternoon on a Wednesday. We were lucky to see only 1 person coming down on our way up and no one at the top. I’m fairly new to hiking and had to stop a few times to catch my breath, but I am so glad I kept going. Absolutely worth it! There are some narrow spots where you’re walking over rocks with small footholds. Heading back was a little painful on the knees. We’ll definitely do this one again with a blanket so we can sit and enjoy the views!

Thursday, July 12, 2018

A good little leg burner to a stunning views of West (Cascades) South (Mt Erie) and East (Islands and Olympic Peninsula). I’ve read it’s a 1000 feet elevation, and it’s fairly steep in some sections, but relatively do able for most people. Views from the top can’t be beat. Go at sunrise for epic light.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Such a beautiful trail with lots of different options to extend your stay. View from Sugarloaf was ok, I think I just prefer the mountains.

Saturday, November 11, 2017

Excellent small hike that isn't too far from home. It was our first hike with our new dog and she loved it. Taking a picture of the map at the trailhead definitely helped us stay on track. Small hike but huge reward at the top!