Sugarloaf Mountain and Mount Erie Loop Trail is a 5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Anacortes, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Walked up the Erie Mountain Drive to trail 26 and took it. Branched off at trail 216 to go to the Mount Erie lookout. Walked the road all the way back down. Round trip, it was 5.7 km. Nice short hike. I'd say the trail is maybe moderate in difficulty..? We didn't have any trouble with it. Views from the top were incredible. We hit it on a sunny day with low-lying cloud below the lookout - just gorgeous!

Uphill but paths are nicely maintained. It takes about 30 minutes to get from the parking lot to the Sugarloaf viewpoint.

Took my daughter on this hike and it was doable for a 10-year old. The last part of the trail up to the top of Erie is a bit tricky for the less experienced. Also, as others have said, the trail system can be very confusing if you have not been on the trail before. Views were good, but not great because of smoke/haze.

Lots of elevation gain. Many options and view points.

There is a nice view from the top making the uphill trek worth it.

Hiked 1100 12May2018, Mothers Day. Very busy at thr top and at thr lower parking lot but quiet up the hill. Trail is always well maintained but can be a little confusing if you don't pay attention. We always just stay on 215 to 228 which should take you to the top. Its a pretty steep grade to the top if you're not in the best of shape but definitely doable. A decent amount of wildflowers but nothing crazy that i saw. Always a nice short hike with gorgeous views of the San Juans, Olympics and Cascades. highly recommended

I really enjoyed most parts of this hike. The only negative being how confusing some areas were. I’m glad I had this app to track myself because I’d probably still be lost in the woods somewhere. I started at the trailhead at 7 AM on a Wednesday and there was only one other car there. On the way down there still weren’t many people. I have a feeling this place gets crowded though, so get there early!

short to medium hike. Low to medium elevation gain. Not a particularly well marked trail but not hard to figure out. 3.5 star view point at the end.

nice little challenge if you're looking for something quick. absolutely gorgeous views, and tons of Moss and some wildflowers in spots.

Good workout & view!!! The trail is confusing though it took me about 5 outings to figure out how to get all the way to Erie. Perfect for dogs and exercise

Really liked sugar loaf, Mt Erie was to crowded. The trail system is super confusing. Get a map or take a very good picture of the trailhead billboard map. We took a wrong turn and ended up walking on the road for a bit to get up to Erie.

What a view! Nice moderate hike to wake the legs up after hours of driving. Used trails 215 to 228 and felt like that made the ascent short but inclined. Locating the trail and parking were a breeze but no bathroom from the south trailhead.

Started off at Mt. Erie Viewpoint parking area on trail 215 straight up to 228 on the left (top lookout area) then to 226 onto 225 then down 320 to Heart Lake. Great workout, steep incline, beautiful views of Mt. Erie and San Juans. Glad it was a clear day. Snow Free, muddy in some spots. Slick over the rocks

Friday, August 18, 2017

Took trail 215 from first parking lot at Heart Lake. Continued up crossing onto 226 and 238 at top. Mostly compact dirt and rocks for steep incline.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

F

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Awesome trail!!

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Beautiful scenery and well groomed for the most part. The parking lot is decent but small. There is no bathroom at the trail head for Sugarloaf, but there is a Texaco a couple miles down the road before arriving to the trailhead. **Beware!!** There are SO many trails and it would be much better to be prepared with a map in hand of all numbered routes. Have your trail set before starting due to the number of pathways around the mountain. We started at Sugarloaf and moved on to Mt. Erie. I was bummed to find out that at the top of Mt. Erie, there is a parking lot. It lost its initial appeal since people at the top didn't all make the effort to get to the top. The sight to see if gorgeous though and worth it whether hiking or driving to it.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Loved this hike and is one of my favorites! Make sure to know what trail you are heading out on and would suggest to download a map.
I started on the Sugarload trail head and kept on 215 and then 228. It is muddy and slippery in some spots, to be careful - I slipped and fell on my way coming down!
The view point is gorgeous - pack a picnic to enjoy and stay awhile!

Monday, April 10, 2017

Beautiful trail, but it's STEEP right at the get go (I went 215 to 225). But it's gorgeous.

I went mid-April and it was VERY mudddy and slippery. Take note!

Friday, March 31, 2017

Great Views as you'd expect on the sound in the PNW.

Monday, February 20, 2017

Many interconnecting trails--hike, bike, dirt bike, horseback. Pretty low traffic today. Trail is in excellent condition. Large trees, nice island views at the top, and a relatively low impact hike.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

this is also known as mount Eric

Friday, August 12, 2016

Well - first of all get a trail map or at least take a picture of map at trail head. There are many alternate trails throughout connecting to different longer routes and final destinations. I believe I did a portion of trail from this sites map - maybe slightly shorter. I did get to Sugarloaf Mountain top for the scenic views, which were lovely. The beginning of hike is kind of steep, but overall moderate. I'd say it is worth checking out as well as the other trails. Look at your map ahead of time a plan out where you want to go

Monday, July 11, 2016

Lots of options depending on your hiking ability. Great view at the top as well.

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Fun trail with lots of opportunity for steep hiking.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Great hike to both Sugarloaf and Mount Erie. The trail is beautifully maintained. My friends and I practically had the trail to ourselves, we saw maybe 15 people total on the trail. It was packed at the top of Erie. Beautiful clear day the views at both peaks were amazing. Take a map with you so you stay on the right path. There are many numbered paths. On the way back down it was easy, didn't need the map anymore we remembered the numbers. The trails are very clearly marked.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Terrible hiking. The view is only at the peak, which you could drive to. Just drive up and save yourself the trouble.

Monday, November 23, 2015

Good family hike.

Sunday, July 05, 2015

Loved the hike, the elevation change was manageable by even my 5 year old (with minimal complaining). The views from the top are GREAT.

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Like others have noted, there are multiple trails in this area. The reported 0.5 miles that is listed is incorrect, you can link up to others trails and hike all day. Summit Mt.Erie for some of the best views of the Sound I have found.