Stagman Ridge Trail

Stagman Ridge Trail is a 10.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Trout Lake, Washington that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,381 feet Route Type: Loop

From Vancouver, east 70 miles on Highway 14 to Highway 141. Turn north and drive 22 miles to Forest Service Road 23, near the town of Trout Lake. Turn right and drive 8 miles to Forest Service Road 8031. Turn right and drive 0.5 mile to Forest Service Road 070. Turn left and drive 3.5 miles to Forest Service Road 120. Turn right and drive 3.5 mile to the trailhead at the end of the road.

I clocked 11.6 miles and 2283 ft and completed it in 3:45 at a fast pace with a few stops for photos. I added in the spur down to Looking Glass Lake which was nice but you need to get all the way around to the far end to get good shots. The hike up to the ridge at about 2 mi is pretty much all uphill. This is followed by a couple hundred ft of downhill that you can’t help but think about for your trip “down”. From there on is where this trail really shines. Creek crossings were easy but can’t imagine what they must be like in late spring. Keep looking over your shoulder because some of the most spectacular views are behind you.

Had a wonderful 1 night backpacking trip on this trail. I’m a novice backpacker so it was definitely challenging for me, and I was glad I was with someone more experienced! We camped just past Lookingglass Lake and then turned around and went back the next morning. The glacial streams were not too challenging, but one was knee deep when we crossed in the evening. I think I go 2 mosquito bites on the entire trip. Multiple breath-taking views of Mt. Adams and there was a really beautiful meadow along the way. Our dog enjoyed the trip too!

Really incredible hike. Note from my recording that round trip distance was greater than 8 miles. There are some sediment rich streams/rivera (murky) along much of the trail, so be warned if you plan on filtering water. There’s also some crossing that are strong, explore along the river bank and you’ll find somewhere safe; the path to the bank may be impassable but look along and you’ll see some crossable areas. Incredible views of Adams with a great meadow and vistas. Thimble berries and others ripe. Drive in is LONG and TH is remote, however got reception in many places along trail (but not on drive in). Awesome hike.

This was totally fine yesterday. No trouble with getting lost. Did have trouble with the mid afternoon stream crossing at Cascade Creek and could not complete the loop. All the leapable rocks were wet so it did not seem like a safe place to leap or to cross with the dog and we couldn’t tell how deep it was because the water was too milky to see the bottom. The flowers were still amazing up on the on authorized trail. I would do it again with more people so we could make a more secure stream crossing. No bugs to speak of. Lots of thimble berries and huckleberries.

Really beautiful trail and views of Adams. There are some pros and cons about this trail. It’s not used very much (which is great!) but with that the trail is overgrown in some areas. The trail up until the loop is straight forward. If you want to go to the lake you take a right on the loop but the trail is very thin I actually lost it for 30min until I got to the lake. Just be very careful not to lose it. Overall a great hike. Moderate difficulty and no bugs in the morning but they did start to come out in the afternoon

Very nice hike through mostly burned canopy with recovery of flowers and grasses. Flowers were very good right now with blue penstemons, broadleaf arnica, magenta paintbrush and Queen Anne’s lace putting on the best shows. We registered 12 miles and 2450 feet of elevation gain with a Garmin tracker.

Beautiful day! Wildflowers all along Stagman Ridge. Flowers at Horseshoe meadow were absolutely amazing! My. Adams was out in full glory. An incredible hike!

Hiked up to Looking Glass Lake - 9 miles round trip. About 2 1/2 hours up and 2 hours down. Trail really well marked up to the Junction with what I call the 'round the mountain' trail at Graveyard Camp. Then heading South, trail is fairly well marked except keep an eye out after large downed logs for the trail after the log. Wild flowers were abundant and gorgeous. 3 Volcano views today with Hood, St helens and Adams.

Awesome views! No people. Sweet Trailhead with picnic tables and fire pits. We didn't do the loop section because we weren't sure about directions, the app is definitely off. I believe the loop starts/ends where there's a sign for "graveyard camp." It would be much longer than 10 miles to complete.

This hike really does have it all, alpine meadows, a gorgeous lake, sweeping vistas, and lush woods. I really loved this hike. It's much closer to 12 miles than to 10. Also, the All Trails map is wayyyyyy off. It will alert you to being off trail often, but don't sweat it. You're doing fine and All Trails is just really wanting you to do some bushwhacking I guess. Or fly? I don't know. There are some sweet campsites, one on the far end of the lake that is perfect for hammock camping. There is no cover, so you'll have to cover up for sure. Also, bugs are a thing on this trail as well. There was still a fair amount of snow at the top of the loop for a couple of miles. But damn, I can't wait to hike this again. Oh yeah, I wouldn't call it a difficult hike, more like moderate plus.

Mon Sep 10 2018

I would give this 4.75 stars if I could. There were a few spots where the trail was slightly hard to follow. Those were the only downsides though. Great views of Adams, Hood, and a sneak peek of Helens after Horseshoe Meadow. We saw plenty of late-blooming asters as well. The trail is very exposed sun-wise so we were glad to have waited for a cooler day. Lightly trafficked...we only saw one backpacker on the trail. Like a previous reviewer, we clocked about 12 miles round trip.

Sat Aug 11 2018

great views, flowers, butterflies and sunshine. Not many trees there now hat and sunscreen is a must.

Tue Jul 31 2018

Direction warning...tried to do this today, but NF 23 is closed 28 miles from 8031. No mention of this is recent reports.

Sat Jul 28 2018

Mon Jul 09 2018

Beautiful hike, pretty flowers and butterflies. I would definitely bring bug spray! I was happy I did. Once the sun started going down they were pretty bad. Gorgeous lake, stream crossings. Lovely hike! Not difficult to get to trailhead (although it is gravel). Pretty lightly trafficked.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Did this 6/5/18 just getting into Mt. Adam's, beautiful hike with tons of butterflies. Clocked in 12 miles round trip. Bring bug spray the mosquitoes are horrible in a couple spots.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Didn't do lolly pop but hiked to Horseshoe Meadow, gorgeous. If you want an in your face view of Mt. Adams without walking on snow this time of year, this is a good place. There were a couple of steep parts on the way up, but it wasn't to bad. Only negatives were misquitos on the way up (pretty bad on a couple spots this time of year, but not nearly as bad at the meadow), and the lack if shade during the hike do to the 2012 fire. A decent amount of flowers and a ton of butterflies on the trail. We had the whole meadow to ourselves. Worthy destination!

Sat Mar 10 2018

I have been up this trail several times. I would consider this more of a gateway trail to Mt. Adams. It offers nice views up the Cascade Creek drainage and the Salt Creek Drainage. Graveyard Camp used to be a junction for the trail to Looking Glass Lake, it seems that the US Forest Service decided that the cut across trail does not need to be there. the sign is gone and the route is not shown on newer maps. (or the maps I have). I have the benefit of owning Columbia National Forest map from 1940. It's a shame so much history is forgotten. This area used to have shelters and structures all over the area.

Wed Jul 12 2017

Tue Jul 04 2017

hands-down, this is my favorite hike in the Mt. Adams area, just as another reviewer said. beautiful close-up views of Adams and lots of solitude.

Mon Nov 28 2016

My favorite hike in the Mt. Adams area, great views of the mountain along with little-no other hikers out there. Backpacked in and went camping around lookinglass lake. Highly recommended

Sat Aug 14 2010

Caveat: I'm giving this 5 stars largely because I tagged on part of the Northbound PCT. It was AMAZING! I hiked in by Stagman, according to this Guide, and set up camp at Horseshoe Meadows. I didn't encounter any other hikers until I reached the camp. Stagman was a little challenging for me since I had a full pack for solo camping. Still, my trail running shoes were perfect for the job. I'd recommend long pants - while the trail is very clear, it is sometimes narrow with tallish brush on either side. I passed through 2+ beautiful wildflower-filled meadows and enjoyed awesome views of Adams. After setting up camp, I headed E on Round the Mtn Trail. There's a spur trail just ahead of the first stream after the meadow. If you head N on it just a few hundred feet, you'll reach a small but lovely cascading waterfall. I tried to get to Lookingglass "Lake", but lost the trail and had to head back before sun down. The real magic, though, was the next day. I connected up with N-bound PCT. Breathtaking views at every turn! I made it up and through the lava fields, also incredible, then turned around and headed back. The Pikas cheered me on. Downsides: Aside from the Stagman Ridge Trail part, the trails are fairly popular. I was especially disappointed when a large boyscout troop showed up at Horseshoe Meadows and I lost my camp solitude. There aren't many other options in the area for camping. And the mosquitoes! My goodness, they made it impossible to sit in quiet enjoyment outside of a tent during the day. Seriously, I recommend calling the ranger station to get the bug status report, and consider postponing a trip here until they thin out. All that said, the wildflowers, butterflies, birds and views made it all very worthwhile!