Squak Mountain May Valley Loop Trail

Squak Mountain May Valley Loop Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Issaquah, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Squak Mountain State Park has a network of 13 miles of hiking trails and 6 miles of horse trails. There are multiple trailheads. The trail is accessible year-round for day-use. Dogs on leash are also able to use this trail. It is a good idea to have a good map and a compass or GPS navigation device to navigate this park.

Nice trail, too much gravel road incorporated into the loop for my tastes. Good cardio close to town. Midweek afternoon and I saw only 3 other people until I was approaching the parking lot at the end

This was a great family hike. The scenery was enough to keep the kids (ages 8,6,4) engaged and going. Trail was well marked and well maintained. It was pretty crowded which was the only real downside.

The trail is nice and the woods are peaceful but there are no good vantage points to see the valleys below and at the top you run into a cluster of 3 cell phone towers , the big reward for your climb. I would say this is a great trail for a run or to just get outside but if you want scenery try somewhere else.

My friends and myself reached at the Squak Mountain State Park around 8:00am. Had little difficulty in finding the Parking Lot as there were 2 roads leading to the State Park, but only one of them had the Parking Lot. The Parking Lot had only 1 couple of vehicles. There was a 0.1 mile hike from the Parking Lot to the May Valley Loop Trailhead.

The initial part of the Trail was much flatter and we doubted whether there was any elevation gain at all. Then the trail split to 2 paths and we chose the left hoping to cover the loop in clockwise direction. This was unlike the Loop described but we took it anyways. We met many people hiking down the trail when we were hiking up. Then there was a steep elevation gain for less than 0.1 mile, but that was the steepest along the entire trail, which gave us a relief that we didn't hike it down rather we were hiking up at the steep (as it is a loop trail). There are many diverging paths from this trail, but the trails were properly marked to guide in the right direction. We reached the Bullitt George Trail and then we saw the Bullitt Fireplace. We lost some elevation after that, and there was another ascend to the Central Peak.

The Central Peak didn't have any view, which was a little upset. There were some Communication Antenna Towers and it was surrounded by Pine trees which blocked the view. We started our descend which started on the Access Road.

After 0.2 mile, we had a board which took we took to join back the trail rather than continuing on the Access Road. This side of the Loop was suitable for trail running which made our descend a little more faster. After sometime, we reached a stop where there was a right turn to a bridge which would take You to the Squak Valley Park, but we continued left. We reached the Access Road again. There were 2 other boards which led back to the other trail, and we took the second one which took us to the first deviation we which took during our ascend. And finally we made it back to the Parking Lot by 12:00 noon.

Now the Parking Lot was almost full compared to morning. Now there were other people who were just getting ready to start their hike. Its a good warmup hike, but nothing much of a view. Even the Park had green bushes and trees with mosses, but nothing staggering for a second time hike. Not sure about the other trails which was getting deviated from the Loop Trail though and the other 2 peaks - West Peak & SouthEast Peak.

It's definitely an easy maybe medium trail (but probably easy). The loop was nice, well signed and easy to follow. Lots of little children doing it. Leisurely!

Was challenging and fun. Next time I’ll do the loop in reverse. Snow was slippery near the summit, without poles I wouldn’t have made it up. Watch out for horse poop.

Not sure what the actual miles on this loop , watch is showing 10.3

Trail runner friendly! Meandering route for sure smooth and mostly non technical and groomed

Great loop run. Trail in good shape for this time of year.

Trail in good condition for February. A couple down trees.

Great year round hike on a cloudy day. Not too far from the city and easy to get to. Good for all skill levels because of the connecting trails. You can make it as long or challenging as you want. Easy to follow signage, but helpful to bring a trial map with you. Not much to see for views. The trail was muddy in a few spots, but nothing more than to be expected this time of year. Saw 1 down tree over the trail, but easy to cross.

New May valley loop/Phill's creek connector? In great shape , new trail unnamed.

Went on this hike in a little bit of a drizzle and although the trails are a little hard to figure out from the signs. A little common sense and it’s pretty easy to navigate. There are lots of nice creek areas and little bridges and a beautiful fern forest. It was really nice for beginner hikers because it was not too long and although there were inclines it wasn’t excessive but it did get my heart rate up! I wish I had a nice trail like this close to me.

Nice hike in general. Like other reviewers said, in the beginning it’s confusing with the signs. But it also gives you a chance on learning maps! You can pick up a paper one at the beginning. Beautiful forest, waterfall is pretty chill, good place to relax and meditate. Recommend.
P.s Discover pass needed!

Hmmm...great little trail but the signs are confusing. For the first mile or so you get tons of them then there's nothing so you have no idea if you're on the right trail. Wish they kept the signs consistent.

This hIke is pretty good. It’s a little hard at the top but overall it’s just a pretty good workout. I only saw two people on the trail which is great. Can’t stand being around people. Make sure you have a Discover pass to park here

Love the trail up to Central Peak. Phil's Creek trail is overgrown and the trail is a little slick for downhill hiking and I recommend long pants. No views at the top but a great trail for a workout. I recommend maps,compass and GPS. There are plenty of connecting trails and one can easily get lost. Lots of horse poop along Bullitt Gorge trail. Don't forget to visit the Bullitt Fireplace!

Nice and easy trail close to Bellevue. The bottom part shares with Horses and the coming down trail is small. Make sure you have discover pass for parking

Disregard all of the negative reviews about this hike, I loved it! Trail was very easy to follow, beautiful scenery, and best of all......very light foot traffic!! I would like to come back on a day that follows a few days of rainfall. There were a few dry creek beds along the way, I'd like to see them flowing.

Nice shaded trail that is well signposted. Beautiful forest with a glimpse of Mt Rainier, but no other outstanding views.

As many others have expressed, this hike is not about the view at the top but the journey there. The top is actually home to a microwave tower, trees blocking a view, and a port-o-potty.

That being said, the journey up is wooded and beautiful - it's great exercise. The main trail outlined in this app does include quite a bit of gravel road, keep that in mind. There are also so many different paths you could take it's quite easy to get turned around.

I do not believe I would return again but it's nice to cross of the list.

There's some horse poop along the way... bring plenty of water... light traffic.. not all dogs are leashed but all the ones we saw today were well behaved... after the horse gate it gets harder.

Monday, June 12, 2017

Overall had a good first mountain trail run. I love the challenge of the climbs. Would definitely do it again.

Friday, June 09, 2017

Nice wooded forest hike but no viewpoint or waterfall to be seen (I even asked locals). Good for exercise, but I wouldn't go out of my way to check this off of a list. I won't return.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

definitely a fun hike and I loved the lack of crowds!

Monday, May 15, 2017

I took my horse out here last week. I had a wonderful time, would do it again. The only reason i give this 4 star is because on one of the trails it said horse friendly ( but obviously wasn't ) logs, and branches were in the way. Too high for my horse to jump it :(

Saturday, May 06, 2017

All time you will hear waterfalls sound .. very natural trail with uniform elevation. We took a deviation after .7 miles to squawk mountain Rd the followed equestrian to come back to trailhead. There are many small deviations once you are half way through. Keep the map or this app handy. We didn't see any view point as we took a deviation.
Recommend after a good rain week to enjoy the the streams..
Note: ready to get some real dirt on you shoes so pick your gears appropriately.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Awesome Nature trail!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Good hike. Although the mile markers seem to be off. (1.9, 1.6 & 1.3 ) At one point, they forget to mention the hike that we are on & change the name. But.. we enjoyed the hike & will most likely do it again during the summer.

Monday, March 20, 2017

Well kept trail, but it's all about the journey and not the destination with this hike.