Spruce Railroad Trail: Lake Crescent

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(290)
Olympic National Park

Spruce Railroad Trail: Lake Crescent is a 11.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.2 miles Elevation Gain: 433 feet Route Type: Out & Back

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

cave

rails trails

Note: The 4-mile stretch of this trail along Lake Crescent (including Devil’s Punchbowl) is closed as of March 9 due to construction. Planned re-opening in fall 2020. After recent construction, this trail is now mostly flat and family-friendly. There are several tunnels to go through so bring a flashlight along for orientation.

Easy, pretty, peaceful.

Love this trail! I took my hybrid (road) bike on it and it definitely pushed the limits of that bike. My husband took his mountain bike and it handled fine. Two large tunnels so bring a flashlight. The punch bowl is fun!

Walked the whole trail yesterday (2/16) with my mother and 5 year old. It's an alright walk...kinda boring really. Especially after the bridge and tunnel. It is pretty though. This was my second time here. The first was back in 2011 or 12 so the tunnel was new to me, which caused me to miss the bridge on the way. The bridge is down the trail to the left of the tunnel I found it on the way back lol If I ever go back, I'm not wasting my time on the whole thing. *There's remnants of the old tunnel a little ways further down, but after that...nothing more to see.

Awesome trail, especially for dogs!

Did this Hike on Wed, 01/29. Very flat and easy hike. Most exciting part of the hike was traveling through the railroad tunnel. Though the lake and trees are beautiful, i would strongly recommend that instead of doing this hike, spend most of your time on the other side of the lakes where the beauty and trails far exceed this one.

Very windy on this winter day and the trees were creaking. The lake was swollen with tons of recent rain and the water was up and over the trail by the bridge at Devils Punch Bowl. Very cool to see. Made it look like the bridge was floating.

purdy

Seeing Lake Crescent driving on 101, I expected this trail to blow my mind. It was OK. Undoubtedly, there were some beautiful views of the lake and surrounding mountains with tree tops hidden in a layer of fog, which was quite romantic. The trail itself, however, is a former railroad trail (as per name!), so it's rather flat, mostly paved, and you can hear/see the cars driving on the other side of the lake. Towards the end, it nearly merges with the Camp David Junior Rd and I highly recommend hopping over on that as it is much prettier and runs closer to the lake. Going through the first tunnel was somewhat thrilling as it's pitch black in there, but coming back around it was even better--that's where the Devil's Punchbowl is located and a cute little bridge around it. What makes this trail unique is its history and the role that this areas played in the WWI. I recommend checking it out.

Loved this walk, although you have to pay attention to the miles walked so you know when to turn around since you can take this trail to the ocean. I recommend walking around the tunnels for amazing views!

Trail head was easy to find. It starts on an uphill but it’s gradual and well groomed. There are two tunnels on the trail that I found. The first one is a well-maintained but dark tunnel make sure you have a flashlight. I made it to the second one which is about 3 miles down the trail. There’s beautiful views to be had.

Beautiful walk. Even roads. Easy hike. Great weather mid October. You’ll see dogs, strollers, happy hikers.

Wide packed dirt path through stunning forest along lovely lake views. Would make a great trail run!

great trail, some tricky spots for bikes but a great trail.

So beautiful! Bring a snack and take a minuet to enjoy the views ☺️

recorded Mount Zion Trail

Beautiful views and great day hike! Easy and gorgeous!

This is a gravel road, and not my favorite way to hike. We went around 7 pm to check it out to see if wanted to ride bikes over it the following day. I prefer flat roads and it had a few too many ups and downs for me to ride. B/c it was getting dark, we stopped before the Devil's Punch Bowl. The highlight was that we saw a mother deer with two fawns close to the road on the side of the hill.

A great, easy, mostly flat hike. Beautiful views of the lake. It was heavily trafficked, especially around Devil’s Punchbowl, but was a nice relaxing hike.

I only hiked as far as Devil's Punch Bowl. Beautiful hike!

A warning to those with weak ankles: wear boots (see below). This was a lovely trail with great views nearly the whole way. The left-hand trail at the first tunnel takes you to the bridge and the Devil’s Punch Bowl, by far the highlight. I wish I’d had my swimsuit so I could have jumped in the water like some of the other hikers. I kept going another 1.6 miles to the second tunnel, which is actually caved in now with a new trail detouring around it. While the hike before the first tunnel is mainly dirt and packed gravel, passable by nearly anyone, the hike between the two tunnels has a few scree sections with large gravel, some as big as your fist. I have bad ankles and found these stretches cumbersome. If I’d had my more supportive hiking boots on, that would have helped a lot. Otherwise, a wonderful day!

had an amazing time. devils punch bowl looked like a blast to jump in. definitely coming back!!

Rocky early in trail - with single track area very close to water and hikers/bikers in space. Smooths out to asphalt and goes longer in the Olympic Park trail (we did total of nearly 21 miles) to one of best trails I’ve done.

bridge out

Very easy. Well kept up and clean. Lots of people walking dogs. Outside the tunnel at the Devils Punch Bowl was beautiful. Very family friendly trail.

A bit windy but great view! Lake crescent was my favorite part in Olympic national park

This trail was great, it gets you awake from the crowds of the NP, and allows for a quieter experience on the trail. The path is very wide and some areas are even good for a jogging stroller, I saw dogs on leash, and several bikers. Very multi purposeful. There were some areas where large rocks had fallen or a tree that hadn't been maintenanced yet, but it wasn't impossible to move around. When you get to the tunnel, go to the trail on the left that goes around, to view the bridge. Gorgeous views of the lake! The bathroom at the trailhead was pretty dank and nasty (maybe go elsewhere).

Hike was decent but the best part is the Devil’s Punchbowl! Go left on the trail instead of through the tunnel and you can jump of the bridge and swim in crystal clear water! Even though it was very cold we had a blast and stayed just at that part for almost an hour!

This was a great day hike, you can go as far as you like depending on your time & stamina, but I highly recommend going at least 2.5 miles in to get the best views. Also when you get to the train tunnel, opt to go around to the left on the trail, instead of through, you get AMAZING views!

Sat May 25 2019

Great walk with beautiful views. We stopped at the Rankin tunnel to eat lunch. A doe walked by on the trail during that time.

Sat Apr 27 2019

No closures this weekend 4/27. The weather was great. A little breezy but the sun was out. Did 10 miles out and back. The trail is dry, maybe a few wet spots but nothing significant. I grew up doing this trail as a kid and it shocked me how much it has changed and I'm kind of sad about it. Not alot of traffic as I started at 9am and was the only car in the parking lot. Over half full when I returned at 1pm. Remember people when starting at East beach go to the left at the 1st tunnel so you don't miss the bridge. Opposite if you start at the other end. I was stopped several times asking where it was lol Overall a great day on this hike since they changed it all