Spruce Railroad Trail: Lake Crescent

Spruce Railroad Trail: Lake Crescent is a 20.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

cave

rails trails

TEMPORARY PARTIAL CLOSURE: One mile of the trail on the western end will be closed beginning at the Camp David Jr. Road Trailhead. The trail will remain open for use on the eastern end for 2.7 miles—from the Lyre River Trailhead to the Daley Rankin Tunnel.

Biked this trail 7-16-2018. Not much traffic on a Monday mid-day. We have hybrid bikes, skinny tires would be a problem. Tunnel is no problem, lights not needed. Eastern half of trail is packed rock or dirt, western half is paved. There was a short section mid-trail where the dirt trail became narrow and close to the edge, as inexperienced trail riders we walked our bikes through this, otherwise an easy ride. The paved half was a slight grade uphill but easy biking because the grade is so gradual. On the return just for fun we coasted the first four miles without pedaling! Entire trip took about 3 1/2 hours including a delightful picnic on the lake.

Great trail for a easy day hike. Take the trail to the side of the tunnel for bridge access. Tons of access points to jump in the lake and cool off on a hot summer day.

Beautiful, but the swimming area draws a crowd. Definitely worth a visit for an easy stroll against a gorgeous backdrop.

super fun! make sure you bring a swim suit and take a jump off the cliff or bridge! great summer day hike!

So pretty, easy walk! Dog friendly and it wasn’t that crowded.

this one had a beautiful off Trail which is called the devil's Punchbowl I thought that was beautiful and amazing and it's not hard at all super easy a stroller with big wheels could even go on

Definitely worth the walk! Flanks the north side of Lake Crescent. Beautiful views.

Gorgeous!

Great family hike. Flat and easy with nice place to jump to the lake (devil's bowl bridge and rocks around it)

What incredible changes to this trail! It is now ADA, wheelchair accessible to behind Devil's Punchbowl. There is a tunnel that is very dark and goes through the hillside. If you take the rough tail to the left of the tunnel you can access Devil's Punchbowl and the bridge that goes over it. Took two dogs who enjoyed all the smells.

Friday, July 14, 2017

The trail was closed, no notice when it would be open again.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

We wanted to take an easy day hike to simply enjoy the beautiful day and this trail did not disappoint! Absolutely beautiful views of Lake Crescent and the majestic mountains surrounding. We entered via the west end and the trail meanders along the shore with so many great views. If you want an easy hike/walk that is guaranteed to leave you de-stressed and grateful for our beautiful world, this is a great choice!

Thursday, June 29, 2017

Totally gorgeous, easy hike, and some lovely water to swim in. (A little cold for my taste, but my friends enjoyed it!) The trail is well cared for and offers beautiful views.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

beautiful place! sadly learned the hard way you have to go to camp david jr rd entrance! they have the trail "blocked" where the McKay tunnel is right b4 devils punchbowl is & it says dangerous conditions, but it's safe..looks like they are trying to clear the tunnel out for hikers to do enjoy the entire route. Took a swim at devils punch bowl & boyy the water was cold but it felt good.

Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Hiked western portion as eastern end is closed at the moment. Unfortunately, only occasional views of the lake. The best views of Lake Crescent were actually at East Beach (take a picnic there!)

Sunday, December 11, 2016

lots too see, take a Lunch!stop and enjoy all the cool spots.

Thursday, November 10, 2016

light easy trail, and pretty fun for cliff jumping right by the bridge on the right. nice spot for just hanging out for the day

Saturday, October 01, 2016

CLOSED FOR THE SEASON on the east end. We found this out the hard way. Apparently they've closed it in order to finish paving it.

About a mile is open on the Camp David side but we wanted more of a challenge. The trail status is here:

Lake Crescent is beautiful though, there's a nice picnic spot on East Beach.

Monday, September 26, 2016

A nice relaxing hike with beautiful views of the mountains and Lake Crescent. We hiked the 4 mile unpaved section and then headed back. Only encountered a few mountain bikers.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

very cool. bring your swimsuit and water shoes...

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Another favorite trail. I've done it on bikes too. A bit sketchy at some points but a great ride, and a definite good walk. beautiful scenery.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

ATTENTION TRIKE-RIDERS: The western end of this trail, which is paved for about 6.5 miles, is the best section for trike riders. It is level and easy pedaling, with beautiful woods and few people.

If you try to access this trail from the eaat end of Crescent lake, you will find only a very short section which is kind to your trike. The eastern end, starting at the end of East Beach Rd. narrows down to less than the width of one's trike, is muddy, and has several dips, through which one will have to dismount and ease the trike across them. Rocks along the eastern section of the trail will snag one's rear deraillier and may damage the under carriage of one's trike..

Sunday, May 01, 2016

great hike... beginning is muddy but the rest is well worth it. highly recommend

Monday, April 18, 2016

Didn't make it to the end, but wow, what a beautiful hike! We are definitely doing this one again! But as oe of the other hikers said, it is a bit muddy for about 1/2 mile, but so worth it!

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Bald eagles, rainbows, and turquoise waters are only a few or many sights this trail offered to me today. Although muddy at first, the trail dried out the rest of the way. The bridge offers amazing views of the crystal clear-like waters underneath and the trail itself was easy to hike on. My favorite part about this trail was that my doggies were able to enjoy an afternoon out with me:)

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The trail was a really muddy from about the 0.5-1.0 mile point, but the views more than made up for it! The lake was the amazing color of turquoise, there was cloud cover and Sun.... Just amazing! We only went 2 miles in but next time we plan on doing the whole 4!

Monday, July 06, 2015

Trail was nice and easy with great sights.

Monday, June 29, 2015

If you are NOT mountain biking, this trail is awesome. I love my wife. I think she forgot to choose the 'MTB' filter when looking for places to ride. This would explain why i almost died. The downhill right before the devils punchbowl was awesome!... Until i realized my walmart bike brakes wouldnt slow me down...only lock me up. So then i found myself in a fight or flight. I chose to fight. With my back fishtailin and my front threatening to throw me forward, I stuck my arm out like a boss and used my rotator cuff to stop me against a rock...ten feet away from the lovely american family enjoying their smart phone pictures and cannonball lake jumps. The guy sitting on the rock says 'Good thing you stopped. That woulda been bad.' I said 'For you...' Seriously thats how it went down.

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Easy walk 4 miles each way along beatuful Lake Crescent.