Spray Park Trail is a 6.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is best used from May until October.

From Tacoma, east on Highway 410 to Buckley. Turn south on Highway 165 and drive 14 miles to Carbon River Road junction. Stay to the right on Mowich Lake Road and drive 17 miles to Mowich Lake Campground at roads end.

This is one of my favorite waterfalls with absolutely stunning wildflowers and a great view of the mountain.

We were here on 09/13 which was a overcast day. I felt like this hike took a lot of work and time up for very little payoff. To start the road was under construction so within the first few miles we were stopped at a sign saying road closed for an hour. Talked to some previously waiting cars and sounded like awhile had already elapsed. Waited maybe 20 min to continue. Then you have this unpaved road that is just so rough the whole way and has a speed limit of 25 mph. Takes about 40 minutes with lots and lots of moments you swear you will have a flat tire. The hike itself was not overly strenuous or technical but is definitely a workout at times. We only went to the falls and turned around since we knew we weren’t going to get any Mountain View’s with the weather so in total was a 4 mile trip. Then back down the rough road to wait another 30 minutes at the construction zone to leave. I think if it had been a clearer visibility day so that the hike itself had more visual payoff I wouldn’t have cared so much about the time and the travel etc but for us it was just a pretty standard forest hike with a lot of obstacles.

On a clear day this is an amazing hike. We were lucky enough to have great weather and the views of mount rainier were spectacular! It definitely has some elevation so be prepared! We got there @ 9am on a weekday and only saw a few ppl on the trail .

We hiked this for the first time a few weeks ago and it was BEAUTIFUL. I mean breathtaking. Not a tough hike and any spots that were a little tough were made worth it by the views. Watch out for the wasps nest at the beginning of the hike though, I got stung. Not fun. Trail is well kept up. Not a ton of bugs. A little chilly if it’s not sunny.

Awesome

Stunning waterfall and great views of Rainier.

This hike is amazing! Stunning views the whole way! The trailhead is located at the mowich lake campground. Just keep walking past the Tolmie peak trailhead. Enjoy!

Really enjoyed this hike, but we only ended up going up the falls (due to a previous day injury). They were gorgeous and worth the hike. There was a yellow jacket nest in the ground on the left side of the path about halfway up the falls. We were warned and were able to quietly pass by both ways but quite a lot of people weren't so lucky.

This is my 5th time on this trail. Great workout and beautiful in many ways. Went there on a Friday morning not too many trekkers so that was great. Visibility was on the foggy side so.. not much to admire as the clouds move into the open space and meadows but it is mystical inside the switchback trail. Mt. Rainier hid and did not show her majesty, however a few beauty Marmots gracefully entertained us as we lunched and headed back down.

It has been many years since I have done this hike and I'd forgotten how lovely it is. Today was misty and we had a limited view of Mt Ranier but the trail is in great shape and the meadows are gorgeous. We saw a VERY large bear (about 100 meters from the trail). One of the best things about this hike is that the trail wasn't overrun which is too often the case in the Pacific Northwest. The 17 mile very rutted dirt road leading to Lake Mowich likely deters some folks.

Long drive to the top on a sketchy gravel road but worth the drive. The hike is gorgeous and no wildlife spotted along the way. The waterfall is majestic and pictures don’t do it justice. After the waterfalls, continue the trail to see gorgeous mountains and a meadow. Light traffic on trail on the way back down.

The waterfall is about a mile and a half into the trail, and it did not disappoint. Pictures don’t do it justice to how massive it is. We thought that would be the highlight of the hike, but the meadows up in Spray Park itself were unbelievably beautiful. Even with the haze, Mt. Rainier still showed through and acted as the perfect backdrop to our time in the meadows. We didn’t see any wildlife, save for the absurd amount of mosquitos! The road leading up to this hike (and Tolmie Peak) has a few rough spots but overall is pretty darn passable for a gravel road.

A fantastic experience heading back to Spray Park today. Make sure you keep going past the meadows for some amazing alpine and glacial exploration. Not too difficult and quite otherworldly!!

It was extremely foggy, making it impossible to see anything at the view point. But still so worth the hike. We were able to climb up to the base of the waterfall from the spray park view point! Definitely my favorite waterfall yet!

Gorgeous hike! This hike is full of beautiful falls, bridges, wild flowers and views of mount Rainier! Loved everything about it....except the bugs:))) Bugs we’re annoying. As soon as you stop moving, they attack you:(

My first hike in Washington and now I’m hooked. It was beautiful. Covered in wildflowers, relaxing waterfall, creeks all over. The trail was well kept. Pockets of steep climbs but overall moderate. Worth the climb! Once you reach the meadow at the top there are a ton of cool little trails to adventure on!

Just yesterday I did this trail solo. It was more than I had ever imagined it could be. The views are so amazing! It’s absolutely worth the pain in the legs. I want to go back! Also the road is not closed, it’s about 17 miles of gravel bumpy dust road. Get there early cause it’s a popular place to be.

Great hike and only a fraction of the people who go on the tollmie peak trail. We were at the trailhead at 10 o’clock Which required a .75 mile hike to the trail head.

Avalanche release the peak now

Hiked this yesterday. Lots of stuff blooming now. Switchbacks are hard work if you're not regularly hiking.

wildflower still not blooming, trail great shape, snow in the upper meadows should be perfect in a month or so

We did Spray Park Trail for the first time this season today. This is the trail that hooked my family and I on hiking. Beautiful hike. Didn’t see any bear this time but we did see a mountain lion on the gravel road about a mile prior to Mowick Lake and the Spray Park trailhead. We let the ranger up at the campsites know.

Did Spray Falls/Spray Park yesterday on the clearest day of the year. it was AMAZING! Mowich Lake road is in great shape to get out to the trail head. We didn't see snow until Spray Park and it is sparse until you get deeper into the Park. We stopped to have lunch with the view and it was incredible. Some flowers are starting to bloom. All in all - the trail is ready for anyone to enjoy. I'd recommend getting an early start to beat the heat and the busy-ness. We started at 10am and got done with everything around 1:45pm (with stopping for about 30 minutes at the falls and 45 minutes at Spray Park).

As of July 1, 2018: started in the morning from Mowich Lake campground. Flowers still haven’t bloomed as there is much snow still left on the fields. Definitely stop to check out Spray Waterfall. We went on a somewhat cloudy day and got a bit lost in the clouds heading to observation point but on the way back views were spectacular.

did this hike today and the last ~1 mile is still snow covered with lots of fog. we turned around at 3.6 miles because the fog was thick and it was hard to find the trail in the snow. i would recommend a stick or poles for balance on the snow. we saw a bear on the way back about .3 miles from the start of the trailhead in mowich

The road to Mowich Lake was still closed so we had to walk 5 miles up to the trail head. There was still a lot of snow on the road but none on the trail. Because of the extra 5 miles, we only made it to Spray Falls. But heard later that the trail up to Spray Park was covered in snow so it turned out to be for the best. I highly recommend this trail. the views from Eagle Cliff are amazing and Spray Falls was beautiful. I think going when there is still a lot of snow runoff is best. There were several mini falls along the trail and Spray Falls was amazing.

Hiked up Spray Park Trail and back! Was a beautiful hike, challenging at times, but worth it for the beautiful waterfalls!! The road up was open today 6/30/18 so we were able to park right at the trailhead! It was still snowy up in Spray Park and foggy/rainy so we didn't get any views of Mount Rainier this time, but overall still worth the trip! Only tough part, it goes downhill slightly first, then back uphill, so both ways have some uphill! I was TIRED by the time we started walking back so the hike UP to get back to the car was challenging!

Road is still closed to the trail head, we decided to go down Paul Point. We will be back once it is open

View of Mt Rainier from the meadows is just awesome. Hardly any snow till the waterfalls. (July 2nd 2017).

The road is still closed about 5 miles out from the trailhead because of snow, so be prepared to hike an extra 10 miles. The road itself up to the trail is walkable but I'd recommend good, waterproof hiking boots. There's snow for the last 2-3 miles of the road and it was pretty soft, so we sank down to our ankles in a couple of places.

As for the trail itself, there's still a decent amount of snow there as well. We nearly lost the trail a couple of times but managed to find some footprints in the snow to follow. Once you get past the snow, the trail's pretty easy to follow again. There are a few fallen trees and a fair amount of debris on the trail, but nothing too tricky to navigate around. Would (again) definitely recommend waterproof hiking boots though, there are a couple of stream crossings. Will definitely be doing this hike again in July!

Definitely a rough drive up. SUV, 4X4, Truck recommended. We parked where the road closed and hiked the 5 miles up to the trail head. The road is covered in snow 3+ feet deep right now (5/27/18) so be sure to be well prepared for a snow hike if you decide to go during the off season. I guess best time to go is late summer when the snows completely melted. Took 2 hrs to hike to the trail head. The Lake is Gorgeous. We continued on to the Spray Park Trail about halfway before we were forced to turn because the trail was no longer visible or accessible (to us anyway). Be sure to watch your footing in the snow on the trail, I fell waist deep through the snow and got stuck. We saw a deer on the way back, was hoping to see some other wildlife but we weren’t so lucky. 2hrs to hike back down.