Spray Park Trail

Spray Park Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

2086 feet

From Tacoma, east on Highway 410 to Buckley. Turn south on Highway 165 and drive 14 miles to Carbon River Road junction. Stay to the right on Mowich Lake Road and drive 17 miles to Mowich Lake Campground at roads end.

The gravel road to the trailhead is rough. But the waterfall is great if you can scramble up the boulders to get right up to it. The 2nd half up to the alpine meadows is steeper, but the wildflowers and Rainier views are worth it. About 4 hrs round trip.

Combined this one with Tolmie Peak. We hadn't planned on it but totally worth the trip to the falls (about 3 miles RT). Recommend hiking a little up through the boulder field.

I did this trail with my oldest daughter two weeks ago for the first time. This is now my favorite overall hike, it's just the right blend of gain, distance, and overall beauty. The gravel road to the trailhead sucks but the view from the top of Spray Park makes it completely worthwhile. There are also an abundance of low bush blueberries/huckleberries that are sweet and satisfying as a reward for the climb.

Rough ride to trailhead but the waterfalll is gorgeous!

Awesome!!!

The last time I was up here was in 1982 when I was only 12 years old. I have no idea why I waited 35 years to come back. Absolutely fantastic trail!!

Not too long but harder than it looks

great day...smoggy but we found clouds!

HIKE SATURDAY AUG 5.

Great hike up to the meadows. Saw 2 bears. One crossing over the path at the beginning of the meadow and another larger and less concerned one hanging in the grove of trees mid meadow.

We got there early, about 7am and ran into her few people until coming down. Will defiantly do again.

A true treasure!

Worth every step

Beautiful trail and spectacular views!

One thing I would have liked to know was that there was a $25 fee. To get to the trail head there is a long 13 mile gravel road, we went about 20 mph. Beautiful hike. Waterfalls were great. We kept hiking up thinking we were going to see something amazing but didn't. The meadows at top are pretty. Don't think I would do it again. But glad I did do it.

Great trail with enough viewpoints along the way to keep you interested until you get to the main attraction (the ridge at Spray Park). It gets pretty strenuous as most of the elevation gain is in a short distance just before the ridge but it's worth it for the views. One of my favorite hikes so far.

Just did this hike with a few friends yesterday, great hike!! Although our legs were dead by the end of the hike it has some really great views. A lot of inclines so be ready for that, wear good hiking shoes that can withstand stepping on sharp rocks. Although it was a long way up it was definitely worth it.

Update on my review below. This map shows how to get to the top of Mt Pleasant which is a trail off of the main Spray Park - Seattle Park trail or Wonderland Trail. We stayed on the Wonderland trail which went through different layers of Spray Park itself. I did not see any hikers that followed this map of a side trail that went up to Mt. Pleasant

Did this hike yesterday. There were a lot of people and had to hike a mile on the road to the trail head due to all the people. Very popular place with a handful of trail options. It is a heavy use area so the description of this hike is old. The side trip down to Spray Falls is well worth it. Falls are tall and gorgeous. Wildflowers were incredible up in Spray Park itself. Don't stop at the first level in Spray Park, there are better vistas for lunch up on the 2nd and 3rd layers. Especially overlooking Mist Park below. Great hike, not too difficult, but at least on weekends there are a lot of hikers up there. Everyone was nice and courteous, admiring the beauty. Even saw young families up there which was really great to see.

This trail starts with a bit of downhill and is pretty easy for the majority of it. The last mile is decently steep uphill (from the fork of the spray lookout to the park). Amazing views of Rainier and tons of flowers :)

The trail is closed now due to heavy snow. You cannot even drive your car to the trail head. You have to park your car in Paul Peak Trail head. It might open up when the snow melts in Summer.

Monday, April 17, 2017

very rainy and ran into a bear on the trail! It's quite a different experience when nobody is around and it's foggy everywhere

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The views of the Mt Rainier are unbelievable. Along with the meadows, and the falls

Monday, October 03, 2016

It was raining half of the time but the falls were still amazing! Got to the meadows and it got really foggy 10 min after we got there so that was really cool looking.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Loved this hike unfortunately I didn't get to complete it because my kids were tired but it was peaceful and not to difficult!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Did this hike today for Labor Day with my husband, 10 year old and 13 month old in tow. The drive up to Mowhich lake is 11-12 miles on a winding gravel road. The road does have some potholes but is in relatively good condition! Got to the parking lot at the lake at around 10am and there was quite a few cars in the lot but was able to park near the boat launch, about 100 yards from the trail head. When we left at 2pm, parking was down the road along the sides. The trail is in great condition. There are tree roots galore but just watch where you step and you will be fine. Hiking poles help but aren't necessary. Made it to the sign where it points to spray park .8 miles and falls view .1 I think. Our intention was to go to the waterfalls and turn around. We wound up taking the trail up to spray park thinking it would take us to where we could go up near the waterfall but instead we wound up 1.5 miles past the falls in the meadows. It was beautiful and peaceful up there, even seen a few bears foraging in the distance! Asked a ranger where we went wrong and he kindly informed us we should've stayed straight! So for those of you trying to go to the falls and only the falls-go to the falls view (take the right fork) and cross the log bridge! We wound up backtracking and made our way to the falls view. There was one party leaving as we came to the view point but couldn't really get the full picture of the falls with the brush obstructing our view. This is where the water crossing comes into play. In order to get a full, unobstructed view, you must cross the stream. While we were able to cross the stream, I would not advise others to do it with small children or those that are not so sure-footed. We made our way up the rocky climb to get to the falls and it was just beyond amazing. Definitely makes for one of my favorite waterfalls/scenery of all time. Would love to do it again, especially in warmer weather...the waterfall most would be welcomed.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Did it today with the wife and kids after taking on Tolmie Peak. Exhausted now but feel like we made the most of a beautiful day! Would like to be able to get the kids across the waterfall to see it in full view but they are a bit small yet and it's not someplace you want an injury to occur. Boys didn't give out on me til halfway back. Falls were worth the trip and I got some great photos but wouldn't let the boys cross on their own, maybe sometime in the future.

Friday, July 22, 2016

I went to the falls but the growth has them pretty much covered which did dampen my mood UNTIL I went to spray park. Holy cow it is amazing! A previous review said it might be the most tranquil place they had ever been and I agree 100%! The park is so beautiful, the photos I posted do it no justice. I saw a deer from a distance, no bears today but I can't say I'm to upset :P I did not want to leave the park. The overall trail is nice, on a Thursday morning it was dead. I was hiking by 10am and encountered no one until halfway through. On my way back though- around noon I passed around 20 or so people. Definitely want to go back

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

We want hiking to this place last Saturday afternoon. This trail is pretty chill. I mean, not much elevation, not too far and beautiful views all around; perfect for older people and little kids.
If you would want to have a more difficult hike, there are other places you can go to following this trail but in general, it is one of he best options for moderate hiking.

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Be cautioned that there is a quite potholed insanely long gravel road to this hike. But it is worth it. For the first few miles the trail is really just like a random walk in a forest. Then you get the first glimpse of Rainier and a short side trip the cascading Spray Falls. Then the path switchbacks for a while, after which you hit Spray Park proper. Wow. Bears are often visible in the distance. Wildflowers can be stunning. And the views of Rainier are just mind blowing. When there is no wind and it is good weather, this may be the quietest and most tranquil place I have ever experienced. And I have travelled a ton. Truly something. If your strength allows, head up, up and up until you hit the small side trail to Observation Rock and Echo Rock. Those should offer world class scrambling for the brave.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Loved this trail as the reward at the end is a spectacular waterfall that you can actually stand under! I would consider this as a moderate hike and not an easy hike.

Friday, August 14, 2015

The drive to the trail head is on a long gravel/dirt road, so you'll be driving pretty slow and it will seem like an eternity to get there. The hike was wonderful and you definitely need to take a detour from the main trial and see the waterfalls. The day I went it was cloudy and drizzly, so the views weren't that fantastic, but once we were hiking in the field for a while we took a turn off on the left to discover a great view of a valley. While eating lunch there we could see several bears wandering around in the valley.