Spray Park Trail

Spray Park Trail is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

2086 feet

From Tacoma, east on Highway 410 to Buckley. Turn south on Highway 165 and drive 14 miles to Carbon River Road junction. Stay to the right on Mowich Lake Road and drive 17 miles to Mowich Lake Campground at roads end.

21 minutes ago

View of Mt Rainier from the meadows is just awesome.

The road is still closed about 5 miles out from the trailhead because of snow, so be prepared to hike an extra 10 miles. The road itself up to the trail is walkable but I'd recommend good, waterproof hiking boots. There's snow for the last 2-3 miles of the road and it was pretty soft, so we sank down to our ankles in a couple of places.

As for the trail itself, there's still a decent amount of snow there as well. We nearly lost the trail a couple of times but managed to find some footprints in the snow to follow. Once you get past the snow, the trail's pretty easy to follow again. There are a few fallen trees and a fair amount of debris on the trail, but nothing too tricky to navigate around. Would (again) definitely recommend waterproof hiking boots though, there are a couple of stream crossings. Will definitely be doing this hike again in July!

Definitely a rough drive up. SUV, 4X4, Truck recommended. We parked where the road closed and hiked the 5 miles up to the trail head. The road is covered in snow 3+ feet deep right now (5/27/18) so be sure to be well prepared for a snow hike if you decide to go during the off season. I guess best time to go is late summer when the snows completely melted. Took 2 hrs to hike to the trail head. The Lake is Gorgeous. We continued on to the Spray Park Trail about halfway before we were forced to turn because the trail was no longer visible or accessible (to us anyway). Be sure to watch your footing in the snow on the trail, I fell waist deep through the snow and got stuck. We saw a deer on the way back, was hoping to see some other wildlife but we weren’t so lucky. 2hrs to hike back down.

The meadow features flowers and glaciers. It’s like another planet, and it smells like laundry detergent. We saw bear and a mountain goat.

We drove up the long grave road yesterday (5/13/18) to the trail head. The grave road is no joke and took us about 30 minutes or so, thank god I rented a SUV. But the road was closed about 5.5 miles before the trail head. We decided to walk up the road anyways to make it to the lake and trail head. A lot of people started to walk but most turned around do the the amount of snow covering the roadway. It was very tough and the snow was deep so come prepared but the lake is beautiful! It is iced over but amazing! We went to the lake and back to the car and it took about 4 1/2/ hours to do about 11 miles out and back.

The gravel road to the trailhead is rough. But the waterfall is great if you can scramble up the boulders to get right up to it. The 2nd half up to the alpine meadows is steeper, but the wildflowers and Rainier views are worth it. About 4 hrs round trip.

Combined this one with Tolmie Peak. We hadn't planned on it but totally worth the trip to the falls (about 3 miles RT). Recommend hiking a little up through the boulder field.

I did this trail with my oldest daughter two weeks ago for the first time. This is now my favorite overall hike, it's just the right blend of gain, distance, and overall beauty. The gravel road to the trailhead sucks but the view from the top of Spray Park makes it completely worthwhile. There are also an abundance of low bush blueberries/huckleberries that are sweet and satisfying as a reward for the climb.

Rough ride to trailhead but the waterfalll is gorgeous!

Awesome!!!

The last time I was up here was in 1982 when I was only 12 years old. I have no idea why I waited 35 years to come back. Absolutely fantastic trail!!

Not too long but harder than it looks

great day...smoggy but we found clouds!

HIKE SATURDAY AUG 5.

Great hike up to the meadows. Saw 2 bears. One crossing over the path at the beginning of the meadow and another larger and less concerned one hanging in the grove of trees mid meadow.

We got there early, about 7am and ran into her few people until coming down. Will defiantly do again.

A true treasure!

Worth every step

Beautiful trail and spectacular views!

One thing I would have liked to know was that there was a $25 fee. To get to the trail head there is a long 13 mile gravel road, we went about 20 mph. Beautiful hike. Waterfalls were great. We kept hiking up thinking we were going to see something amazing but didn't. The meadows at top are pretty. Don't think I would do it again. But glad I did do it.

Great trail with enough viewpoints along the way to keep you interested until you get to the main attraction (the ridge at Spray Park). It gets pretty strenuous as most of the elevation gain is in a short distance just before the ridge but it's worth it for the views. One of my favorite hikes so far.

Just did this hike with a few friends yesterday, great hike!! Although our legs were dead by the end of the hike it has some really great views. A lot of inclines so be ready for that, wear good hiking shoes that can withstand stepping on sharp rocks. Although it was a long way up it was definitely worth it.

Update on my review below. This map shows how to get to the top of Mt Pleasant which is a trail off of the main Spray Park - Seattle Park trail or Wonderland Trail. We stayed on the Wonderland trail which went through different layers of Spray Park itself. I did not see any hikers that followed this map of a side trail that went up to Mt. Pleasant

Did this hike yesterday. There were a lot of people and had to hike a mile on the road to the trail head due to all the people. Very popular place with a handful of trail options. It is a heavy use area so the description of this hike is old. The side trip down to Spray Falls is well worth it. Falls are tall and gorgeous. Wildflowers were incredible up in Spray Park itself. Don't stop at the first level in Spray Park, there are better vistas for lunch up on the 2nd and 3rd layers. Especially overlooking Mist Park below. Great hike, not too difficult, but at least on weekends there are a lot of hikers up there. Everyone was nice and courteous, admiring the beauty. Even saw young families up there which was really great to see.

This trail starts with a bit of downhill and is pretty easy for the majority of it. The last mile is decently steep uphill (from the fork of the spray lookout to the park). Amazing views of Rainier and tons of flowers :)

Sunday, May 21, 2017

The trail is closed now due to heavy snow. You cannot even drive your car to the trail head. You have to park your car in Paul Peak Trail head. It might open up when the snow melts in Summer.

Monday, April 17, 2017

very rainy and ran into a bear on the trail! It's quite a different experience when nobody is around and it's foggy everywhere

Thursday, October 13, 2016

The views of the Mt Rainier are unbelievable. Along with the meadows, and the falls

Monday, October 03, 2016

It was raining half of the time but the falls were still amazing! Got to the meadows and it got really foggy 10 min after we got there so that was really cool looking.

Monday, October 03, 2016

Loved this hike unfortunately I didn't get to complete it because my kids were tired but it was peaceful and not to difficult!

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Did this hike today for Labor Day with my husband, 10 year old and 13 month old in tow. The drive up to Mowhich lake is 11-12 miles on a winding gravel road. The road does have some potholes but is in relatively good condition! Got to the parking lot at the lake at around 10am and there was quite a few cars in the lot but was able to park near the boat launch, about 100 yards from the trail head. When we left at 2pm, parking was down the road along the sides. The trail is in great condition. There are tree roots galore but just watch where you step and you will be fine. Hiking poles help but aren't necessary. Made it to the sign where it points to spray park .8 miles and falls view .1 I think. Our intention was to go to the waterfalls and turn around. We wound up taking the trail up to spray park thinking it would take us to where we could go up near the waterfall but instead we wound up 1.5 miles past the falls in the meadows. It was beautiful and peaceful up there, even seen a few bears foraging in the distance! Asked a ranger where we went wrong and he kindly informed us we should've stayed straight! So for those of you trying to go to the falls and only the falls-go to the falls view (take the right fork) and cross the log bridge! We wound up backtracking and made our way to the falls view. There was one party leaving as we came to the view point but couldn't really get the full picture of the falls with the brush obstructing our view. This is where the water crossing comes into play. In order to get a full, unobstructed view, you must cross the stream. While we were able to cross the stream, I would not advise others to do it with small children or those that are not so sure-footed. We made our way up the rocky climb to get to the falls and it was just beyond amazing. Definitely makes for one of my favorite waterfalls/scenery of all time. Would love to do it again, especially in warmer weather...the waterfall most would be welcomed.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Did it today with the wife and kids after taking on Tolmie Peak. Exhausted now but feel like we made the most of a beautiful day! Would like to be able to get the kids across the waterfall to see it in full view but they are a bit small yet and it's not someplace you want an injury to occur. Boys didn't give out on me til halfway back. Falls were worth the trip and I got some great photos but wouldn't let the boys cross on their own, maybe sometime in the future.