Learn more

Spray Park and Wonderland Trail Loop is a 17.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from April until September.

Length 17.5 mi Elevation gain 4,671 ft Route type Loop

Wildlife

No dogs

Description
Waypoints (0)

This is a great overnight trip. Go in the late summer when most of the wildflowers are still in bloom and the huckleberries are terrific to eat.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (56)
Photos (921)
Recordings (36)
Completed (130)
Jackie Lang
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 2, 2020
View Jackie's Recording
Freddy Romero
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
HikingRockySnow

Started at 8am. Still plenty of snow in Spray Park. Brought micro spikes but didn’t use them. Make sure to get an early start because the hike up to Ipsut Creek is completely exposed to the sun and it can get very warm in the middle of the day. Make sure you have plenty of water for that last climb. The trail had some overgrown parts but very doable. The views are amazing. Highly recommend!

Jacob Ward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 28, 2020
HikingGreat!Snow

My girlfriend and I hiked on Tuesday, July 28th. and the trip totalled 18 miles over 10.5 hours with spray falls and a small detour on a trail heading south from the highest point. Perfectly clear day and this trail really highlighted all of the beauty of Mt. Rainier and it's ecosystem. Arrived at Mowich lake by 7:30am, plenty of spots left. There are trash cans and restrooms that are open. We hiked clockwise to save the views of Mt. Rainier for last. Also had the benefit of the snow softening up. Microspikes were not needed, but there is a lot of snow heading up from Seattle Park to Spray Park. I wouldn't do it without poles. The trail was mostly covered in this section for several miles, but there were cairns in place and other peoples' boot tracks were reliable. I don't expect the snow to be completely gone for several more weeks, but it was beautiful with the snow! Only passed a handful of people in the first half, a bit more near Spray Park but no more than a couple dozen all day. Everyone had masks and were courteous. There was some snow on the trail near Mowich lake, but it went away within a half a mile. The view from ipsut pass was beautiful in the morning. Heading down the pass, we saw a LOT of fresh (and some dry) bear scat on the trail. This section of the trail descends a thousand feet or so in a mile, and it's very tight with tall greenery rubbing on both sides in places. Virtually nowhere to go but the trail and you can't see very far in advance. Not where I'd want to be caught with a bear, but thankfully we didn't see one (yet). Descending to the Carbon river we saw many small waterfalls and crossed many streams that had nice log bridges with a handrail, there were surely over a dozen of these along the trail! The Carbon river was flowing fast. Had to cross it once on one of the log bridges which was neat, but definitely would not have wanted to slip and fall in. From here, the trail isn't quite as clear, but you can follow cairns NE across the river bed. The trail switchbacks up a couple times before getting to the fork of the Northern Loop trail, we were worried for a while we missed the turn for the wonderland trail and was switchbacking up a different trail! We crossed paths with a couple that warned about a bear ahead, they didn't see it, but someone else told them about it. Within a half a mile of the suspension bridge we ran into the bear, a mama and two very small cubs. They were probably 15 yards away off the trail about 10 o'clock, moving in my direction. I got out the bear spray, started making some noise and talking, and it continued to move towards the trail. It surely knew we were there, but didn't seem to acknowledge us, or care. So we calmly continued up the trail passing the bears and it proceeded on North. The bear was probably within 15 feet at the closest point, much closer than I'd like to be with a mom and cubs :) The suspension bridge was really neat, pretty wobbly! The hike heads straight up at this point, not much excitement for a while, but the legs start to get tired. With the exception of a mile at ipsut pass, everything had been pretty well shaded. Things open up at Seattle Park and it's exposed for the next several miles. Beautiful flowers, streams, birds, and greenery here. Also, a fair share of mosquitos here and near most streams. Once we get up high enough, we start to get beautiful views of mother mountain, and other peaks/ranges in the distance. The snow also becomes a factor at this point, but like I mentioned above, it's easy enough to follow other people's tracks and cairns (at least since it was clear). It's relatively steep in some places, and with the soft snow there was some "one step forward half step backward" going on, but overall it was okay. This was the most tiring section. Some snow fields stretched for over a couple hundred feet before the trail was exposed again for a short stint. From the highest point on Spray Park trail, we saw another trail that was cleared going south uphill towards Mt. Rainier. We went up and sat on a rock and had a second lunch while looking at a beautifully clear Mt. Rainier. We had the whole mountain to ourselves! From that point I had 13.5 miles on my watch, and thought it was 3 miles back from there. (Spoiler, it ended up being another 4.5 miles. We weren't happy when we hit the 2 miles left to Mowich lake sign). The walk downhill was much easier in the snow, it was slushy, a bit slick, but it made for fun sliding on your feet. Spray falls was beautiful. You have to walk on the rocks upstream a bit to get a full view of the falls, and you'll get a bit sprayed ;) Eagle cliff viewpoint also had a beautiful view of the mountain, worth the short trip down even when you're exhausted. It was a relief once we finally got back to the lake after 18 miles. It was a long day, but a beautiful journey, seeing just about everything the mountain could show us :) Highly recommend if you have the...

Seleniasinn User
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2020

Hiked in August 2006. Fantastically beautiful

Bryan Schneider
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 26, 2020
HikingBlowdownBridge outIcyOff trailRocky

Hiked this week. Great views and awesome trail! There is still a decent amount of snow throughout spray park so you can lose the trail easily

Jimmy Haitch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2019
HikingBlowdownMuddy

Amazing hike, took me around ten hours, i went anti-clockwise. Saw a few bears at spray park, goats on the mountains. Loved it. A few side trails brings it to just over 21 miles.

Tina Hurley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2019
HikingBridge out

We clocked 22 miles, I suspect due to one of the bridges being washed out and having to follow a detour route. We did the loop counter clockwise in a day and a half. Originally we planned on doing it over 2.5 days, but thunderstorms and rain changed our minds. The scenery was ever changing and a great distraction from some sections with a decent amount if elevation gain. If I were to do this loop again I am not sure I would do it counter clockwise as the climb up Ipsut Pass is really hard, especially if you've already hiked several miles to get to it. I have a fear of heights and Ipsut Pass definitely challenged it! As you look up to the top ofnthe canyon rimmed by sheer rock faces and sporadic trees, the way out is waaaaaay up there! Many times as we were ascending, I worried we were somehow of the trail we thought we were on. From the time we hit the valley at the bottom until we made it to the top we didn't see another hiker. We just kept following the trail up and up and up. I honestly couldn't see where in the world the trail was going to get us out of the canyon without rock climbing and that definitely wasn't something I was going to attempt!

Dan Lydiard
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 24, 2019
BackpackingRockySnow
Glen Watts
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 8, 2019
HikingWashed out

Some parts were spectacular but mostly seemed like a walk through the forest.

View Glen's Recording
Kyle Schiller
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2019
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

Loved the hike. We did it in 16.32 miles in 7.5 hours (I tracked with my Suunto GPS which is super accurate). Way more elevation change than you think, so make sure your legs are strong before attempting. There were patches of overgrowth, but nothing so bad you can't find the trail. Hogweed was aplenty, but we got out without any rashes and I know we brushed against it bare-skinned several times. The carbon glacier was amazing and massive. Not too much flat time overall. The final climb to Ipsut pass (we went counter clockwise) was TOUGH. Not as many wildflowers as I'd expected, but it might get better in the next few weeks. Wildlife was pretty scarce, we only saw 2 marmot, a deer, a grass snake, and some birds. This trail is confusing at times and I would recommend grabbing a map from the trailheads.

Dan Giuliani
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2019
HikingMuddySnow

This was a great, but challenging hike. We started at Mowich Lake, stayed the first night at Ipsut Creek, the second night at Eagles Roost, and then hiked out on the third day. Got unlucky with weather (very cloudy/foggy with a consistent light mist/rain), so we didn’t see any of the views that others mention. But it was still a cool hike. The first day was almost entirely downhill, which was tough on my joints. Was glad I brought walking sticks! Ipsut Creek was crowded and buggy, so not the best campground experience, but it was fine. The second day was BIG. Lots of elevation (about 4K feet) and took around 8 hours. Once you get above the tree line, where I imagine the views would have been spectacular, the conditions are pretty gnarly. Trekked across a snowpack for a considerable amount of time. Definitely need waterproof hiking boots or your feet will get soaked. Cool, but tough day. We should have left camp a little earlier on day 2 so we didn’t have to rush. Eagles Roost was a great little campsite on the side of the mountain. And the hike out on day 3 was easy.

Vaibhav Bajaj
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2019
Hiking

take care about walking through snow of the glacier at the peak of this hike

View Vaibhav's Recording
Benjamin Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 29, 2019
HikingOver grownSnowWashed out

Completed this loop but started at the Carbon Glacier trail head, spending the night at Dick Creek Camp and then completing the loop and back to the trial head on day two. Incredible views, definitely have to work for them.

Chase Broten
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 20, 2019
Hiking

I showed up ready to hike and I was stopped because I had my dog with me, no dogs not even on a leash. Beautiful area but the management of the area is trash.

Jimmy Haitch
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 2, 2018
Hiking

Great hike. A long day, close to 18 miles, plus distance for a few nice side hikes. Amazing autumn colours high up in the hills. We saw bears, goats, hawks, deer. Not too bad.

Cassandra Cottrell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 20, 2018
Backpacking

One of the best backpacking trips I've done! Hiked this Labor Day weekend with a small group of friends. Absolutely wonderful trail with a wide sample of what Rainier has to offer. We camped at Eagle Crest 1st night and Ipsut Pass the 2nd. You get views of the mountain ahead of you this way rather than behind. Hard enough that my legs were sore the next few days but still very manageable! Would have loved to spend a 3rd night on this trail to linger around Spray Park more!

Jamie Nawrocki
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 8, 2018
Running

Ran the trail CCW. Started in the trees and worked up to a gradual ascent towards spray park. Beautiful alpine meadows and views of Mt. Rainier. The trail takes a steeper decent down to carbon river where it flattens out for a bit. The last 5 miles on the way back to Mowich were tough and steep.