Spirit of America Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Kennewick, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is best used from September until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.5 miles Elevation Gain: 95 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Cute little hidden treasure, took the kiddos they loved it. Definitely will try with bikes next time!!! Streams made it serene as if you were somewhere in the mountains of the pacific NW :) if you jog it nice little workout.

Kid friendly trail. We took the foot path and walked over and by some streams. Lots of shade and areas to sit if needed. The kids had so much fun.

flooded

This trail is a hidden treasure. It had everything you could ask for, running water, hidden trails, places to rest, it a must do for outdoor lovers.

We used to come here all the time al loved walking along the creek on both sides. It’s a dump now, trash and beer bottles everywhere where, homeless campsites, and sketchy people in the trees. I would love to see them clean this place up. I loved taking my kids when they were little!

This is great little hike with shade. The only downfall is the area. There is two types of trails. One is wide enough for two people to walk side by side. The other is a single person wide. The single person trail has lots of fun little bridges/creeks to cross over. All in all a great little walking path. I would go with a friend for safety reasons. The lower half seems to be a bit worse then the upper half. From the 15th Ave down you run into a lot of spray painted trees.

Also known as the Zentil Canyon trail, this is an easy hike. Not a lot to see but good for a short walk with the littles. The trail runs along both sides of the canyon which is very narrow. one side is a narrow footpath while the other is a well maintained access path.

First time was 2-3years ago super nice. I went today w my toddler and heeler and I got scared as I was walking seen a homeless man I said hello and he responded and as we walked past him he stated “I don’t wana scare you but you might not want to go that way there people over there doing stuff ..” and I said thank you and walked back with my toddler. Thankful for him warning us but I have never felt scared. This place used to be taken care of.

This was an nice easy walking trail . there’s dirt trails and paved paths to choose from. The yellow leaves on the trees are nice right now. I guess there might be times when you see people living out here but must not be this time of year.

In the middle of the city. Great for running!

Going through the small trail is much more fun (and shady) than staying on the main path. It’s fun mostly because you don’t feel like you’re in Tri Cities!

Gorgeous views, nice shade and easy walk. I could have spent all day on this trail until I came across homeless camps and swastika graffiti. Clean it up, Kennewick!

Go with a buddy! it's a trail, that's for sure... but has become somewhat of a hobo camp during the spring to autumn. Graffiti on every possible surface, and wouldn't walk this one near or after sunset.

Sun Aug 19 2018

Came to visit Kennewick, stayed at the Best Western and needed a 3-5 mile run. I am thankful to have a running buddy as this did not feel safe.

Wed Aug 15 2018

Honestly this trail is pretty but obviously not taken care of to well. lots of trash & graffiti everywhere. I went with my dog but not to far into it I got really worried. Just didn't feel safe. I won't be going here again till it's cleaned up.

Fri Jul 13 2018

Pros: Cool during the summer Relatively easy with a few stairs, and mounds to go up and over Fresh blackberries in the right season Cons: Trash Not always safe to go alone Gang graffiti This is a nice easy hike, we took it just before 7am and by the time we got out it was already getting hot outside (80F by 8am) but you couldn’t feel it on the trail because most of it is covered by trees and the canal goes through there keeping it pretty cool. Unfortunately, it does have garbage and some graffiti (not even cool looking ones :( ) and it does have some obvious signs of homeless camp sites. It probably wouldn’t be best to go alone. I went with a friend and we both brought our dogs. The trail was mostly quiet minus some birds, a couple feral cats, and the 2 other dog walkers we saw. If you need to go on a hike in the Tri-Cities during the summer it is probably the best spot to go unless you want to wake up at 4 in the morning. (It’s supposed to get to 106f today!). The rest of the year I would probably recommend any other place though.

Mon Jul 02 2018

M CM pretty much said it all, which is to bad because it is a nice walk.

Fri Jun 29 2018

Pathway of overgrown weeds and garbage following a drainage ditch through a neighborhood. Wouldn’t waist your time

Thu Apr 12 2018

It seems like every single time I go here with my dogs, they get attacked by dogs NOT ON A LEASH!!!! Too many stupid dog owners on this trail. Also, there’s TONS of litter, graffiti and a few places where it looks like homeless/junkies have set up camp! There’s too many shady people roaming around either drunk or high on something so I wouldn't walk around by myself with my camera equipment. It is a huge shame because there's lots of shade throughout most of the trail, so it'd actually be a quite nice little trail if these other problems were fixed -- the only trail near my home, but if I wanna walk my dogs I’d rather drive somewhere else!

Sat Mar 31 2018

Fun trail. A lot of litter. But nice scenery. I wouldn’t want my wife or kid going alone or at night.

Tue Aug 15 2017

If the Spirit of America is over grow weeds and ugly, this trail nailed it.

Mon Jun 19 2017

Mosquitoes! Otherwise nice.

Sun May 14 2017

Good little tough trail to run. Really nice shaded area during the summer. I've come across mostly nice people. One time, tho, some young thugs were fighting in the parking lot -- but they weren't interested in me, at least!

Sun Apr 02 2017

Was a nice walk. I would not walk it by myself.

Sat Aug 13 2016

very nice and easy. great for dogs!:)

Sun Jun 19 2016

Beautiful, easy trail. Dog friendly.

Sun Apr 10 2016

My easy breezy get er' done trail. i love that its so close to town. strange little tail. i like to have someone with me when i do this trail bacause its right in the middle of town and has had a homeless problem. dod friendly on leashes. i hit this one every weekend.