Spirit Falls Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near White Salmon, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and nature trips and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 0.8 miles Elevation Gain: 505 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: This trail is next is next to private property. Stay on trail. Easy to follow, but a steep and sometimes slippery trail that leads to an absolutely beautiful waterfall. Fun, steep, rugged trail - be prepared to get muddy! The start is now about 100 yards before mile 2 marker and is not well marked.

Very steep. Hiking boots recommend and don’t hike when it’s wet. Can be very slippery. Beautiful waterfall at the bottom

Very cool but steep trail. Make sure you wear proper footwear with good traction. There’s no markers anywhere from start to finish so pay attention to your surroundings. Falls are simply amazing and worth the short but steep hike. Plenty of trees and roots to grab onto if need be.

So steep at first I almost turned away. So glad we stuck it out and made the incredibly steep trek down. Highly suggest good traction shoes or boots. Going down was harder for me than coming back up. Use of walking poles or sticks was very helpful. Beautiful falls and dont stop there....continue up the top to find a peaceful bend in the river. absolutely breathtaking views.

This trail was a struggle for me - going down I slipped numerous times (definitely should’ve had shoes with better traction). the trail goes basically directly down a dirt/rock trail/loose rock trail, it’s very dusty and steep so be careful and go slow, especially around the falls area, there are a few spots that looked like a perfect way to end up slipping into the falls. The way back up was much easier for me (slipping wise, I basically climbed) plenty of roots to grab onto and easier to control speed. The view the waterfall gave was unreal and felt pretty isolated, which adds to the magic of it. Don’t recommend for kids, dogs, or anyone who isn’t very agile

Not for weenies....This trail is short, but very steep. One could say it is dangerous when going down hill at many spots; easy to slip on the scree, or on packed dirt and tumble down a precipice. TAKE TRECKING POLES! It's worth it, however. There's a beautiful waterfall cascading over a rocky cave, aqua colored water (at least on a clear blue day), and cool breezes coming down the ravine to dry the sweat.

private property

Trail was STEEP, dusty, bugs everywhere and the signage led me to believe that hiking into the gorge was both frowned upon and on private property. There’s so many other falls on public land in the area, I’m not sure why you’d go through the trouble here for a dinky little waterfall. I’ll be going elsewhere next time.

This trail is no joke - straight down and straight up but the reward: WOW!! Highly encourage sturdy shoes and a walking stick or poles.

recorded Spirit Falls Trail

It is a toughie but short! Waterfall is beautiful! Bring trekking poles!

Steep but beautiful!

Hell of a short 0.4 mile hike each way but well worth it.

Loved it. Short and sweet. Yeah it’s a steep way down but that’s what makes it fun. I wouldn’t recommend for kids unless they can hold their own.

Steep hike with little to grab on to. Going down is worse than coming out in my opinion. The falls are beautiful and worth the hike. I’ve never used trekking poles but I can see how they’d be helpful on this trail.

While the end of this trail is incredible, as others said, it was extremely difficult. There’s very little to hold on to or help you get down the mountain at points and there’s a lot of dust so it’s easy to slide and fall. It’s almost all extremely steep. While other mentioned bringing children, I would not unless their older and extremely sure footed. All of this said I would do it again, w a walking stick and stronger hiking boots.

Short and tricky but well worth the effort. A beautiful view at the end.

recorded Recording - Jul 19, 06:43 PM

I was nervous about doing this trail because of the reviews. It is steep but I found it to be more moderate than hard. Yes, it’s not a flat trail but I have been on much steeper hikes where you’ve needed rope to get up and down, so this one was much easier! I also had my 4 year old and was wearing my 10 month old. I would say it’s kid friendly , if you hike often. We all hike together 2-3 times a week and my 4 year old had SO much fun on this trail and it was easy for her. With a little guidance downhill of course. If you have kids, don’t be discouraged! This is a fun trail with a gorgeous outlook. Definitely wear hiking boots. It was much faster going uphill than it was downhill. Fun and short trail.

This trail was a lot harder than I expected but the view is completely worth it. The parking lot is down a steep hill so, unless you have a high clearance, I recommend parking at the little turn off right before the parking lot. My Toyota Corolla barely made it back up to the road. The trail head doesn’t have a marker but if you are looking out over the mountains and see the fishery, you found it. The first bit is out in the sun and over a field of rocks with the rest being shaded. It’s a steep incline that is mostly loose dirt/gravel with some rocks. I aimed myself at trees so if I slipped, I could stop myself. I recommend poles or a walking stick and avoiding this hike directly after rain/snow. Coming back up was easier. The view of the falls is amazing and if you keep going up above them, there’s a flat area by the river that’s perfect for relaxing. The water is the prettiest blue that you wouldn’t think was real. I really enjoyed sitting there listening to the water and watching the falls. I’d love to go back.

This hike is pretty tough, a short sweet ass kicker. The destination is well worth it though. I would take a backpack with water shoes next to too maybe trek up river a bit. Once you’re down at the water falls there isn’t much else of trail system.

súper hard and demanding short trail, not for kids. worth doing it

Trail is rocky and steep, but well worth the view.