Spider Meadow Trail

Spider Meadow Trail is a 13.9 mile out and back trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Yeah, the road was different the last two miles with deep ruts. A Volvo sedan was at the TH though so its more about driving confidence and ability then anything. Seems a nice fancy Lexus SUV with plenty of clearance didnt make it to the top though.

This is a five star hike in my opinion as it has spectacular scenery and can provide a workout when climbing up towards Spider Gap. The trail is in great shape, better then the road in fact. Its a long hike but a great hike for someone wanting to cover some distance. There is a fork for Spider Gap and Phelps Basin, choose to head up towards Spider Gap and continue until there are some campsites as a turn around location. This part took about a half hour but may vary as its all up and fairly steep. The view and setting above are worth if for most.

After lunch we headed toward the basin and within five minutes we found ripe yummy blueberries! It took us about three hours to get to the split from the car and it took my two hours to get back but I had a pretty good pace going back. The hike took the seven of us about 7 hours and 45 minutes round trip with plenty of stops. The drive from Monroe took 2 hours and 45 minutes in a SUV. Add 20-30 min you dont have a larger truck and dont like driving on gravel roads.

Nitty gritty: road leading up is atrocious. High clearance only, although if you do risk it, be prepared to leave some of your auto body parts behind as evidenced by them in the road along the way. Road is rutted and has sections that are more like sand dunes.

Trail itself is very low-key. Not terribly scenic, but you don't even break a sweat before you're already at the meadow. Water is plentiful along the trail, even this late in the season. Crossed a few dry creek beds but mostly there was water everywhere. Including waterfalls. It was really nice to not have to pack water for my 2 dogs.

The meadow is stunning and has gorgeous campsites. Be ambitious and research other connecting trails. They're all worth it and can be checked out in a single overnight trip.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Reasonable hike for what you get. wildflower, large meadow, and surrounding mountain peaks. long hike, but not too difficult. get there early if you want an established campsite as they fill up quickly, especially in summer.
also, be prepared for a long, dusty, bumpy drive up to trail head.
if you are looking for a longer trip, push through spider gap to lyman lakes for even prettier views, glaciers, and more privacy.

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Fantastic hike! The water crossings are a bit high for early July, be prepared to get wet! Recommend taking some Tevas. Still some snow on the trail too, but should be melted out soon. Will have to return for an overnight stay and get to the Gap!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Heaven on earth!! Just got back from an overnight and will make this a yearly treat. You just can't go wrong with a trail that offers such scenery. Waterfalls, meadows, creeks, forests, high mountain peaks, oh my!!

The trail is in excellent condition with only a few blow downs that were easy to climb over. We crossed the meadow and headed to Phelps Basin but stopped short of reaching it. The meadow is still alive with wild flowers and while the trailhead looked like a parking lot for a rock concert we encountered surprisingly few people on the trail itself.

The 25 miles on the dirt road aren't as nasty as I've read though it is certainly a bit jostling in spots. If you decide to go, don't make it a day hike you truly MUST stay the night. The bugs were a bit agressive so apply your DEET or whatever bug remedy you prefer.

This is my favorite hike and can't wait to go back and explore more.

Friday, April 13, 2012

My favorite place to hike and camp in Washington. Beautiful scenery, cold clear water, amazing wildflowers in season. My friends and I are making this our yearly "must-do" backpacking trip.

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

fall is in the air
the fact that it drizzled the whole 2 days we were up there did little to change the fact that the place was amazing. I dont think u could add more colors if u were painting a pic. As we were going in on a sunday there were tons of people coming out but only 2 groups we seen staying over that night. Lots of the endangered marmots running around but little other wildlife to be seen, lots of deer tracks thought.
If your going to do this hike take the time to go to the top of spider gap the view is well worth the steep climb to the top, we found that following the glacier is a much more difficult route then if u take the side trail to the top of hill then follow ridge.(once your up near the glacier and the trail seems to disapear)
Although the glaciers are mostly gone they are still amazing to see in person i expecialy liked the red snow on the higher ones. this trip is a must in my book :)