Spider Gap - Buck Creek Pass Loop

Spider Gap - Buck Creek Pass Loop is a 31.8 mile loop trail located near Stehekin, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 31.8 miles Elevation Gain: 7,995 feet Route Type: Loop

bridge out

Everything was as beautiful as expected. There are a few wild flowers left but plenty of mushrooms!! As stated before in previous reviews, take some sort of ice tracks!! It will make things a lot easier. Trail conditions on Buck Creek quickly deteriorated due to rainy conditions and heavy use of horses since hunting season started. Also to note, no annoying bugs.

bridge out

Turned out to be around 35 miles. We just got back and we LOVED our hike but the second day was really hard to enjoy because from Lyman Lake until you get out of Cloudy pass the mosquitos were torturous. We both currently look like we have the chicken pox and we had Deet that we were spraying ourselves with constantly. Spider gap was very snowy and even though we used crampons I almost slid very far back to the bottom once I had almost made it to the top (some people were doing it in tennis shoes though so it depends on your skill level and my pack was very heavy). After you pass the gap it's snow and then scrambling over rocks for quite a ways. Over all SO worth it. We spent two nights and 3 days and the last day was just 100% gorgeous views the whole time.

Really a wonderful hike. Would recommend crampons or mini spikes to get over spider glacier. Prepare for some arduous climbing, with the views are spectacular. Can't wait to do it again.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

stunning views all around! the road to get to trailhead is pretty tore up right now but still managed to get there in my audi A4 (very slowly). mosquitos were the worst I've ever experienced but the trip was still worth it. oh, the 31.1 miles is not correct, it was more like 39 miles just to be aware. definitely a tough hike. bridge at Lyman lake has been destroyed so look carefully for the poorly marked detour. theres no signs anywhere letting you know you're on the loop so know your route in advance and bring a map!

Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Spider Meadow has excellent campsites and views. The trail up to Spider Gap is a steep climb, but well worth it for the chance to walk on a glacier and, to be right in there with the mountains. The wildflowers were very beautiful and abundant in the meadow. A great hike.

Friday, March 10, 2017

This was so fun! One of my best hiking experiences of all time. An early morning sunrise pic of glacier mountain (i think). Saw lots of deer.

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Spider meadow was amazing, but if you want a camp sight with a great view, stay at the knob just before climbing the glacier to the gap. Lyman lake also was wonderful. I recommend the side trip to image lake, you can't beat the sights, even the view from the toilet is great. Not much to see at buck Creek , but take the side trip to high pass, look outs to challenger glacier and triad lake are amazing.

Friday, June 17, 2011

The best backpacking trip I've ever done. Period. Make sure you take the side trip to image lake along the way, and I would encourage to spend a night there. Amazing scenery with so much to see. A week really wasn't long enough.

Wednesday, September 05, 2018