Learn more

South Wedge Mountain Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Peshastin, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and mountain biking.

Length 3.0 mi Elevation gain 1,706 ft Route type Out & Back
Hiking Mountain biking Nature trips Forest Views
Description
Waypoints (0)
Getting There

Please Note: This is not a sanctioned or maintained trail by the US Forest Service. It is important to stay on the trail as to not cause erosion and de-vegetation in the surrounding area. Please be sure to pack in and pack out all trails and personal belongings. Also using a GPS to reach the start of this route may not lead you exactly to the trailhead, as this route starts at the end of National Forest Development Rd. 7305 that may not be in all GPS databases.

Your GPS may not get you to the trailhead. It will likely take you to the turn off 97 and up a pretty open forest service road, 7305. A couple miles up and you'll come to a fork with two equally well-maintained roads - take the left one. The road has some pretty deep ruts, so you'll need some clearance to get to the end.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (130)
Photos (168)
Recordings (89)
Completed (191)
Amanda Hikes
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 20, 2020
HikingMuddy

The directions don’t lead to the trailhead. It stops at a point where you’d need to continue for another 4.6 miles up the road. The road is very uneven and unless you have a vehicle that sits a little higher and is 4x4/AWD it might get sketchy. I drive a sport utility AWD and I turned around about 1mi into the 4.6m drive bc the road had too many DEeP potholes and were muddy

Bec Gerak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 29, 2020

Dry

View Bec's Recording
Tristan Zucktriegel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 27, 2020
HikingGreat!Rocky

Somewhat tricky to find, but if you just take a few minutes to study the area and take some screenshots of the satellite view, it’s a piece of cake. We drove over mountain home road from Leavenworth and it took about 55 minutes. Trail is as steep as they say. My brother and I (both early 20s) made it up in 1 hour including a couple breaks. The views are some of the best you could ask for. The crest of the ridge allows full view of the enchantments, entiat mts and Wenatchee hills. The trek down took us 33 minutes at a steady jog-walk pace. Would definitely recommend doing this hike if you’re up for a challenge!

Jeff Archer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020

Short and steep

View Jeff's Recording
Adam Meyer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 19, 2020

You will need a vehicle with some ground clearance for road 7305 on the way up. I drive an Xterra pro4x and had to put it in 4wheel near the top to make it up some of the washed out slopes. I would not venture up there in a car or small SUV. Plan about 50 minutes to the trail head after you turn off the highway. The trail was clean but hot today even at 1030am. Only saw one other vehicle up there. Lots of bees and flies and chipmunks. Dry conditions but the payoff to this moderate climb is worth it. Great views.

Linsey Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 8, 2020
HikingRockyScramble

As many have said, the road to this trail is rough and long. It takes about an hour to get to the trail head. I made it to the top in a Subaru Crosstrek and a rooftop tent without bottoming out. High clearance, nimble, 4 wheel/all wheel drive vehicles will fare the best. I got a few light scratches on the sides from trees and brush. Go very slowly, pick your path carefully, and you'll likely be alright. Google and Apple navigation will not lead you to the trail head. Downloading the offline maps was very helpful to stay on the correct path as there were a couple forks along the way. The drive up takes about an hour so plan accordingly. The hike itself is stunning, and well worth the effort. I saw two other people the entire time. It took me about an hour and 45 minutes to reach the top with lots of water and photo taking breaks. Overall I think I drank about a liter of my 2 liter hydration pack. The climb is rather intense, but there is lots to see along the way... birds, cool rock formations and mineral deposits for rock hounds, chipmunks and squirrels, goats, meadows, wild flowers, stunning panoramic views, no mosquitoes... this hike is a great bang for your buck as far as effort and payoff are concerned. The temperature difference from the bottom to the top was about 15-20 degrees, so be sure to bring layers! The viewpoint at the top is breathtaking. Scramble around and explore, or have a seat and a snack while taking it all in. Morning visitors will get the best views with the sun shining on McClellan Peak, Little Annapurna, the The Temple, and Snow Lakes. Late afternoon hikers will see the mountainsides shaded on the other side while staring into the sun. The hike down took about 45 minutes but I was alone and hurrying to get a campsite picked out for the night. There are several pull off spots people have used as campsites along the road. I camped at a pull off near some rock outcroppings overlooking 97, and had an unobstructed view of the eastern and southern skies... perfect for Milky Way and meteor shower viewing. Overall, a challenging drive, strenuous but short hike, and breathtaking views. Absolutely worth it, and I will definitely be hiking this one again.

View Linsey's Recording
Bryan Hoffman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 30, 2020
Hiking

Great hike! The picturesque view of the valley and peaks around Snow Lakes is breathtaking. Short but very steep. I don’t think an average 4WD vehicle is enough to clear this treacherous road. I would not attempt to drive the whole way to the trailhead unless you have a very high clearance 4WD like a Jeep or small truck. I barely made it halfway up the dirt road in my SUV (after turn off from the gravel road) and this added about 3 hours overall to my planned hike. Still very worth it! Just be safe.

Suzy D
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 26, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!No shadeRockyScramble

Definitely need a vehicle with 4WD to get up to the trailhead, but man is it worth it! there were still some wildflowers out, and I can only imagine it being so much better earlier in the season. The trail is very steep, but the views at the top are amazing. Highly recommend!

View Suzy's Recording
Mitch H
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 20, 2020
HikingBugsScramble

Very pretty hike with lots of great views and wildflowrs. The hike itself is very steep and difficult. I would personally rate this hike as difficult. The road leading up to the trailhead is not maintained and therefore very bad. There are many deep potholes. I recommend bringing at vehicle with high clearance, like a truck. I decided to park on the side of the road leading to the trailhead, as I did not think my car would fair well on the road. This added a few extra miles. For this hike I recommend bringing lots of water, as eastern Washington can get very hot in the summer. Dont use google maps to find the trailhead as it will not lead you to the trailhead but a campsite.

Brian Izdepski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 15, 2020
Hiking

From the Trailhead this is a very steep uphill trail that gains 1500’ in a mile and a half...No Nonsense, No Switchbacks. Fantastic morning view into the Enchantments including the Core and the Lost World Plateau. Jeeps and other short and skinny, high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle’s May make this trailhead, others will stop 1-3 miles away, making this a much longer hike.

View Brian's Recording
Miranda Heilweil
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

Note: The hike is on RANCH CREEK ROAD off US-97. Forest road 7300 is not marked. Fantastic views of the enchantments for minimal effort. Most of the work of the hike is driving there. Once you reach the lookout at the top, scramble along the ridge to the left to reach the true summit, which is past a series of flat rocks. We saw only a few other people on this hike.

Georgia Bennett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

We didn’t have a high clearance vehicle so we ended up parking about 4 miles from the trailhead, luckily we had read previous reviews and knew not to follow google maps so it was easy to find the trailhead. The trail is pretty exposed most of the way up and down so I’d go early to beat the heat otherwise it can be pretty hard, since we had to walk from the car we didn’t reach the trail until lunch time and it was really hot. The struggle upwards is definitely worth it thought because the views up top were stunning, we only came across 4-5 couples the entire trail so it was nice to finally enjoy a beautiful view without a million people around, definitely worth the trip. Also shout out to the lovely couple that gave us a ride back to our car so we didn’t have to walk an extra 4 miles, that was really appreciated!!!

Marisol Robles
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 13, 2020
Hiking

No signage therefor we got lost, there is a lot of forks through out the way so you need to know where your going. We also ran into 2 other vehicles that also couldn’t figure out where the trail was. The roads are horrible and the higher the elevation the worse it gets. Wouldn’t recommend taking a nice vehicle. Good luck !

Morgan Hicky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScrambleWashed out

First off it was over a 3 hour drive from Bellevue instead of 2 hour like google maps said because the map doesn’t lead you all the way there. We also spent an extra hour driving on the wrong dirt road because the map leads you to a fork in the road with no way to know which way is correct. I’d recommend saving this hike to your favorites so you can view it without service and just zoom in on the all trails map to find your way to the trail head manually. We had a raised Toyota Tacoma truck and experienced driver but even then the road wasn’t really a road and was absolutely terrifying. I though I’d been on bad roads before but nothing was like this. The hike was beautiful but the road and getting lost driving and almost dying kinda made us over the whole thing. The hike itself also starts super steep from the very first step, and the ground is sandy so it’s very hard to keep footing and avoid slipping on the way up and down. Overall pretty but in terror driving and hiking.

View Morgan's Recording
Alex Johnson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
Hiking

The road to get to the trailhead is awful, definitely need a vehicle with good clearance. We took my forester up there but everyone else had a truck. The hike itself took us about 50 minutes, it’s an uphill slog that doesn’t let up but it’s short! Amazing views along the way and the view at the top is epic. Was surprisingly busy, but we still found a quiet spot to hang out at the top. We brought a dog and only saw one other. Lots of kids. No bugs. Hiked 6/14

Fangge Deng
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 11, 2020
HikingRocky

Did it in late June, absolutely gorgeous. We didn't have SUV or AWD, so parked around 4 miles from the trailhead. In total it was 13 miles. Pretty intense but worth it.

Jerusha Pech
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 8, 2020
View Jerusha's Recording
Austin Lewis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2020
Hiking

Echoing others below the hike itself is beautiful, but the road was extremely rough. Hike was about 3.5 miles on my Apple Watch from trailhead to top of ridge and back. The road took about 45 minutes total to get up and was very slow going to avoid huge ruts and sharp rocks. My Subaru Outback did not bottom out, but definitely got some scratches and I did pop a tire (luckily on the way down and was able to get to a gas station to change the spare).