Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

South Lost Lake Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(91)
Larrabee State Park

South Lost Lake Trail is a 9.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bellingham, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 9.8 miles Elevation Gain: 2,175 feet Route Type: Loop

In the spring, there are lots of interesting wildflowers including Wintergreen, Calypso Orchids and Coralroot. The trail itself is in the forest with few views of anything else. You will walk parallel to the lake for a long distance with only teasing views. Once you get there, the shoreline is very boggy and not much to do. Be careful of the thick stands of stinging nettle lining both sides of the trail on the Lost Lake part.

Awesome trail. The dog loves it, I love it. Only just started seeing people on our way back around 11am.

Nice hike! Lots of different terrain, we included some other paths and even the trail to Fragrance Lake on this one as well. Don't miss out on the waterfall and the lake view.

Beautiful hike with numerous unexpected views. The perfect hike to get out in nature with less crowds than more popular spots like Oyster Dome. If you are looking to social distance, appreciate the beautiful scenery of WA and get a good workout in, this hike is for you. We started on the trail about 8:30am and were back to the car by 2. Only passed a handful of other hikers, runners, and bikers. During the first 5 miles you can expect mild inclines, amazing forest views, some small waterfalls and peaks of the lake if you go clockwise around the trail. Once you get around to the backside of the lake there are a few nice rocky spots to stop, eat lunch, drink a beer and then head on your way. The roughest part of the trail is the section from the lake back to the main state park trail. It is overgrown in places and very muddy in spots. There is about a mile of steep ravine incline that feels like it never ends, but the views at the top are worth it. Beautiful mt. Baker on one side and views of the bay on the other. Then you mosey back down to the original trail and back to the parking lot. Overall over 10 miles. 10/10 would do again. Gave it 4 stars for that rough section of trail.

Excellent and rewarding on a beautiful day. For a short period actually ran with another trail runner and a horse.

Nothing special, pretty flat trail with okay incline. View at the top is pretty good though

Great hike if you want to challenge yourself. Beginners

Mostly easy terrain since it’s a road, except the mile or so of trail downhill after the big lookout point. That felt a bit like hiking down a muddy ravine at some points, but not bad enough to need poles. I’d definitely recommend doing the loop counter clockwise for this reason. Glad I downloaded the map as there were some parts of the trail that weren’t super clear.

This trail was over 10 miles. Worth it! The views are stunning. You’ll get sweeping views of the sound on one side at the top and a view of Lake Samish and Mt. Baker on the other side! You can totally see Lost Lake there are several places to do this. This hike is definitely moderate! Bring water if you do the whole loop. I would highly recommend this trail.

Wed Apr 17 2019

A beautiful hike! Glad I had a map as the trail is not well marked in some places.

Sat Jan 05 2019

I used to love riding the resident raft on this lake back in the day!

Thu Nov 22 2018

This was my first time on this trail. I went counter clockwise around the lake loop - I think that’s best because the trail down to the lake via that route is pretty steep and rough, I think it would be challenging going up that way. Then again it would be quite a treat to see the views after coming up that way! I’m glad I had full ankle high boots on for the lake loop portion - trail shoes would have been fine for the rest

Sat Jul 14 2018

Great hike, minimal traffic and some great views. Good trail to prepare for harder ones!

Sun May 13 2018

Good trail conditions. Get there early for parking. BUGGY, so bring repellent. We started at 0730, so it was quiet and we were alone most of the way. No great views of Lost Lake, because it's wooded right to the edge. But the spur to Fragrance Lake is worth it, and you can even swim.

Sat Apr 28 2018

Fun trail. Beautiful. Part fire road part trail. Pickaboo views of Samish Bay. Really enjoyed, but weather was sunny n warm when we went. Stop by the Oyster Bar for nice post hike meal. About 3 miles south on Chuckanut.

Wed Apr 11 2018

Started at the Cyrus Gates Trailhead and connected through Rock Trail. Very narrow and muddy going down towards the lake, and if you’re not looking it’s easy to lose the trail. I did this and had to back track. The lake itself is unremarkable. GPS put me at 7.9 miles.

Wed Aug 02 2017

Great hike, should probably be rated as hard rather than moderate though. And it's closer to 10.5 miles if you do the entire loop.

Tue Jun 20 2017

Beautiful trail. First time using the app and it worked great. First solo hike since I moved here a few months ago. Learned that trails in Washington, unlike in Arizona, don't dry out the day after a rain. Lots of slogging through mud and standing water. The lake is truly beautiful.

Tue May 23 2017

great hike not too high so is not a back breaker wonderful view of Lost lake the trail is great slow and steady incline but yes constant bring the bikes is an amazing trail for bikes I love all the ramps and turns drops keeps you awake and you won't want to even blink

Wed Aug 17 2016

Not to scenic at all, But the lake is peaceful. If you want a good photo of the lake you have to explore around and go off trail but it's nice.

Mon Aug 01 2016

I don't like trails that you could just drive on. This is a closed off road, it's not the most scenic. I prefer single track trails. It's a nice challenge for beginner hikers or maybe large groups.

Tue Jul 12 2016

It was a fun hike with my friends but there was no solid trail around the lake. We kept hiking to an outlook point that provided a beautiful view, and I was still able to get decent photos of the lake at a certain location. It's a good hike and I would definitely recommend it to others.

Mon May 23 2016

I used the directions, parked on fragrance lake road where I found a sign that said it lead to the lost lake and fragrance lake trailheads. I must've missed the sign because I ended up at fragrance lake

Mon Mar 21 2016

Very fun and beautiful hike. I definitely would do it again. Great exercise!!

Sat Jan 23 2016

We hiked this trail after loving our oyster dome hike....we were disappointed. It's not the worst hike but if you're in the area I would recommend oyster dome, it has better views.

Sun Jan 17 2016

Great hike, not too steep. In general good trail conditions, although fairly muddy and some parts icy/snowy and very slippery.

Fri Jun 20 2014

Fun hike but the lake is just a creepy pond. Worth it if your trying to check off all of the chuckanut trails, but there better lakes to go to on the mountain.

Sun Nov 06 2011

Another good trail in the Chuckanut range to cure the winter blues. The hike is through gorgeous Douglas Furs, Cedars, and Hemlocks. A high thick ceiling with little light or views. The "lake" is nothing more than a pond.