Dege Peak Trail

Dege Peak Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 3.1 miles Elevation Gain: 820 feet Route Type: Out & Back

The Sourdough Ridge / Dege Peak Trail traverses subalpine meadows just north of the Sunrise parking area. A gentle climb to the ridge top offers awesome breathtaking views of Mount Rainier, with Mount Baker, Glacier Peak, and Mount Adams in the distance. Stay on trail to protect fragile plants. Rocky Mountain goats can sometimes be seen along the trail. Trail overlaps with the Sunrise/Sourdough Nature Trail and follows the ridge eastward to Dege Peak. RT is about 3.8 miles, with another 0.4 miles for Dege Peak. Sourdough Ridge trail also travels west to Frozen Lake (Sourdough Ridge Frozen Lake to Dege Peak is 2.8 miles). Follow the nature trail to the right, then head east on the Sourdough Ridge Trail to the Dege Peak spur trail. At an elevation of 6,400 feet, Sunrise is the highest point that can be reached by vehicle at Mount Rainier National Park. In summer, mountain meadows abound with wildflowers. On clear summer days, Sunrise provides breathtaking views of Mount Rainier, Emmons glacier, vibrant wildflower meadows. Sunrise Point offers nearly 360-degree views of the surrounding valleys, Mount Rainier, and other volcanoes in the Cascade Range such as Mount Adams. These views and an excellent trail system make Sunrise the second most visited location in the park. The Sunrise Road usually opens in late June or early July and closes in late September to early October. Check the road status before setting out.

I thought I was in pretty decent hiking shape, but the incline on this trail kind of kicked my butt! Nevertheless, it was worth it. There was a nice mix of sun and shade. I went with my kids ages 8-12 and they did fine. I think we’re nearing the end of wildflower season, but some plants were already getting their fall colors. Gorgeous views the whole way.

Really cool trail, perfect quick hike. Beautiful trail and we made friends with a marmot at the top ! It gave a good laugh lol. The trail is a good incline, but worth it. Although the parking lot/ view at sourdough ridge was pretty busy, we only passed 3 others on a Sunday afternoon on the actual hike !

Great views for not a lot of effort. It’s one of the easier hikes at Sunrise. We got there later than planned and arrived at 9:30a. Tons of people and got one of the last parking spots. As is typical with Sunrise, get there early! When we left around 12, there were wait times and the rangers weren’t allowing people in. Because of the crowds, the trail direction to the left with most of the trails seemed too crowded so we did this hike on a whim. There were a couple families and no one else. It’s shorter with less elevation than most hikes here, but quiet and still had striking views.

Pretty good hike. The last .3 mile to the peak is pretty steep and Rocky, but totally worth it for the view. We had the peak to ourselves for a few minutes, good place to sit and enjoy for a bit before going back down! There were a few bugs at the peak so sitting down and enjoying your view might be cut short depending how aggressive the bugs get.

Love this hike. Lots of great views. Enjoyed seeing Deer, marmots and a Pica as well as a number of birds and chipmunks. Today was July 14th and I think I was about a week or two from seeing the explosion of wildflowers that are along the trail. Lots of red, yellow and purple already showing through. The trail is a steady climb with only an occasional short level or downhill stretch. The views and the smells of the alpine meadows is enough to make you forget about the climb. At the peak I was visited by a group of orange and black butterflies that would land on you as if to say “hey you made it”. Outstanding short hike. This could be combined easily into a longer trip if desired. The only negative is the road noise from the Sunrise drive the runs along the bottom of the ridge. Not a trip killer with all this hike has going for it. I would rate it moderate. Trails in great condition and no snow. Just some loose rocks at the peak to pay attention to. Enjoy!

Beautiful panoramic views from the top of Mt. Dege. You can see Mt. Rainier (obviously) but also Mt. Adams, Mt. Stuart, and Grand Park. A little steep with loose rocks at the top. Also marmots.

Was looking for a shorter hike for after our long morning hike. Was perfect! Completed this trial 6/30. Fairly steep in spots and a lot of snow coverage over some paths of the trail. Beautiful view from the top! I would recommend this trail.

Tue Oct 23 2018

Got to the TH at about 0930, a beautiful 50 degrees, clear blue skies. Trail is in excellent condition. Only saw 6 other people on the trail today. Beautiful hike, will be back in the spring!

Thu Sep 20 2018

Beautiful views, but aggressive wasps on the peak. Every other aspect of the hike was great though.

Tue Sep 18 2018

We were fogged in and didn't get much of a view, but when the fog cleared a bit it was beautiful. Would love to go there again on a clear day.

Mon Sep 03 2018

Nice hike. Beautiful views on a clear day. Not crowded. Only downside is that you can see the road far below. I’d do it again.

Sun Sep 17 2017

Smokey due to the nearby Crystal Mountain fire but still some great views. Great hike!

Wed Aug 23 2017

A pretty straightforward hike but 360 views at the top with Mt Reiner at your back, it was just gorgeous on a clear day. Wildflowers we're also in great bloom too. If the sun is out, wear sunscreen as you'll be exposed for the entire time.

Tue Aug 22 2017

On the easy side of moderate. Beautiful views all the way from the Sunrise visitor center. Trail is in excellent condition. Road to visitor center is paved as well as the parking lot. Rainer is right there as a beautiful back drop.

Wed Aug 02 2017

Quick, easy hike. Clear day with 360 views. Crossed paths with a marmot. He stared us down and moved on.

Thu Jul 27 2017

Great quick hike. Met a marmot on the top that kept an eye on us. Perfectly cool weather and not crowded late afternoon.

Mon Jul 17 2017

A well-worn trail with peek-a-boo views as you climb to the top. Takes just under an hour and well worth it.

Sun Jul 16 2017

Great views of spring wild flowers, and mountain range, lakes.

Mon Aug 08 2016

Went on Sunday and it was cloudy and cold. Went early at 9am to avoid crowds. Still beautiful! Saw a mountain goat, marmot and a ptarmigan. Trail is dusty but well maintained. Some parts on the summit have some small rocks but still an easy hike. Would do it again in hopes of seeing the view this time.

Fri Jan 08 2016

To me Sunrise is the best view of Rainier. This trail is pretty easy too.

Sat Aug 15 2015

Dege Peak is very good place for the sunset. The down sides to Dege peak for either sunrise or sunset is the road and the car noise. Most pictures will have the road in the picture. It's close to the parking lots of sunrise point or the main sunrise visitor center area. Trail is in great shape. 360 degree view.

Thu Jul 12 2012

Since the trail had opened only a week before I arrived, It was still covered by about 4 feet of snow. There were some tricky spots but the trail was very enjoyable. Up on the ridge SW of the ranger's station, there was still a good amount of snow. It made the hike a little trecherous up on the ridgeline. Out toward Frozen lake is where we ran into some issues. Unless you have spikes and poles, don't try it. It's snow covered this time of year so the pass is really tricky. The great thing about this trail is, it's directly across the valley from Mount Rainier! It's about 700 feet up so you get a different view of the mountain. The rangers who man the station are great! Extremely helpful, and very knowledgeable about the mountain. They even took the time to show us some climbers on the mountain through the binoculars. If you love Mount Rainier, I highly recommend this trail.

Mon Jul 25 2011

I had never been hiking before and this was a really good introductory hike. I went in Kate July and there was still a lot of snow. The views are beautiful!

Sun Jul 18 2010

Wonderful hike, especially the actual ascent up to the top. Mowitch Lake and Eunice Lake are clear and deep blue. There was still snow on the trail up at Eunice Lake but it was passable. The best part of this hike is the unmaintained trail at the lookout station that goes to the true peak of Tolmie Peak. According to my daughter, "you can't say you climbed Tolmie peak unless you go to the top". So off we went. I could only go halfway before my nerves got the best of me. I waited while my daughter continue on with the fearlessness of a mountain goat. I noticed while sitting on the ridge that the accoustics are so good that I could hear the people below at the lake as they talked. You can also see Mowitch Lake from the top. As you hike the trail be sure to take a short 200 ft detour at Insput Pass just for the view, its great.

recorded Dege Peak Trail