Learn more

Sol Duc Falls Nature Trail

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(718)
Olympic National Park

Sol Duc Falls Nature Trail is a 1.6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Port Angeles, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from May until October.

Distance: 1.6 miles Elevation Gain: 255 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: As of February 2020, the road leading to the trailhead is closed due to flooding. Nice flat and short hike through old growth forest to beautiful three prong waterfall that captures rainbows in the spray. Passes over a few spring fed and snow runoff creeks along the way. Sol Duc Falls rages under a wooden bridge and the hike has a wooden platform at the end of the trail - nice place to sit and enjoy the falls!

1 hour ago

The trial is easy and the waterfall is beautiful. I would highly recommend doing this early in the morning. We did it on our way back to PA in the late afternoon and it was very crowded.

Easy and well marked trail with a spectacular waterfall. Love every minute of this hike. Enjoy!

Easy, pretty, quick

A great family hike with plenty of photo ops along the way. The waterfall is spectacular and definitely worth the drive to get there! Shady hike, almost all in the trees. Well maintained trails. Not too crowded and easy to step aside on the trail to let others pass or remain socially distanced!

I started around 11:30am on Saturday. Plenty of parking as only a third was being used. Two bathrooms at the trailhead were open. Easy fairly flat and trafficked hike to Sol Duc Falls to start off. The falls hike is good for kiddos and people who don’t want the extensive workout. About 1.6 miles round trip. After the falls though the climb to Deer Lake is a constant rocky trail ascent. Little foot traffic. I took a slow pace to take pictures with a tripod and take in the scenery. Didn’t see any people around the lake loop. I was comfortable in a tee shirt in the drizzly rain. The lake was a bit chilly but I just threw on my rain shell since I have a decent cold tolerance. Really rainy around the lake.

My favorite waterfall to date. What a beautiful hike up on an easy trail with multiple creeks and a bonus cascading waterfall coming down mossy rocks on the way up. Not a bad climb at all. This waterfall is beautiful and powerful! While you’re up by the big Falls, wait for the sunlight to hit and you’ll get the bonus rainbow or in our case a double rainbow.

Did this back in September 2014. Excuse me while I reminisce about living in the beautiful state of Washington! Was a very easy hike from what I remember.

more of a walk than a hike. plenty of parking available. this trail is heavily trafficked (or maybe because it was a saturday?) no bathrooms nearby so plan that gas stop accordingly (nearest bathroom/store/gas station within the park was by lake crescent - we came from 101). perfect beginner backpacking trip as it was flat, shaded, water abundant and VERY close to the parking lot. campsites are a little past the waterfall to the left. trail is well marked.

Family friendly adventure! My 4 year old easily traversed the trail and it was stunning. A rainbow and everything. We had the Falls to ourselves for 20 minutes. Worth it every step.

Absolutely beautiful trail with waterfalls and strong flowing creek.

The falls are so incredibly beautiful. We went early and there was a rainbow coming up from the spray. A must see indeed! Familiy friendly trail. We added on the hike out to Deer Lake for some more elevation and miles.

fee

This trail was amazing! Well kept and super easy! Easy enough for little ones to hike as well. Highly recommended! You do need a discovery trail pass. If you don’t have one you will be required to purchase a 7 day pass for $30 or the annual pass.

Beautiful waterfalls. If you're in the area why wouldn't you visit?

Beautiful. The falls are raging right now. It's a great, easy hike

Beautiful scenery and a great trail for kids! The falls were gorgeous- it’s a must see!

One of the only trails in the park that is opened. Easy walk to the falls, only 0.8 miles from the parking lot, beautiful and strong flow right now. I arrived at 4pm and saw a rainbow across the falls from the sunlight coming from the west. You can continue walking past the falls to do the Lover's lane trail.

This trail was so pretty and the waterfall was gorgeous. My boyfriend and I took this trail a year ago and I definitely want to go back!

Easy trail and kid friendly as advertised. Waterfalls were breathtaking.

Road in good condition. Arrived at 9:30 a.m. and almost no one else on the trail. Bathrooms open at trailhead. The falls were raging and stunning. Highly recommend!

Easy and beautiful trail. Road is in great condition and ends at the trail head. Was no problem for my kids to complete. Saw a bear cub on the road on the way out.

Another quick and wonderful hike if you are looking to fill a couple hours with the family.

Our family loved it! Really enjoyed the nature and plants along the trail, too.

road to trail is closed due to flooding

very easy trail and totally worth it. beautiful falls to see with icicles forming off of it.

Best hike in NW Loved it!!

Easy going trail on a misty November 2019 day. The falls and slot canyon is breathtaking. Any age or basic physical condition can do this trail. Highly recommend.

Great family hike! I’ve done this hike 3 times now