Hiked up on July 4th with my 16,8,5 year old boys and our Lab. The road from Carson is in excellent condition. The weather was a bit cloudy with no beating sun with temperatures in the 70's which made the mosquitoes tolerable using Repel Sportsman Max 40. The hike up was awesome as usual and my 5 year old son did all by himself. I had to hold his hand a good amount of the time as many parts of the trail are quite steep with a solid drop off for a 5 year old. My 8 year old made it in and out all by himself. When we got there we found a camping spot along the East side of the lake and within 5 minutes of having my line in the water I pulled out a 12" Rainbow Trout! I used a Feather Treble Hook Spinner Spoon Lure with Balls O' Fire Salmon Eggs on 2 hooks and garlic PowerBait on the other hook. Now, does any of this matter? Who knows, I did not get another bit, nor did my 8 year old son over the next 4 hours, but hey, I got one and it was delicious! The mosquitoes at the lake weren't too bad either. There was maybe 5-6 sets of people we saw the entire 8 hour day including the trip in and out. I would say we had at least 3 hours by our self while fishing at the lake. The views at the ridge line of Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens and the Goat Rocks were stunning as always! The one trail blockage that was there in May has been removed so it is smooth sailing up and in. If you can call 5 miles and 1500' elevation gain smooth sailing. If you have never taken a trip up to Soda Peaks Lake, DO IT! It is well worth the drive. It is just over 2 hours from Battle Ground WA each way.