Soda Peaks Lake Trail West

Soda Peaks Lake Trail West is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

PLEASE NOTE: FS54 is still closed. Trail can still be accessed via Battle Ground through Carson and around the back side. There are still reports of snow on certain portions of the trail, as well.

Great intermediate hike! The trail isn’t clearly marked but it didn’t take long to find. Look for a few steps that start going up and you’ll get to an information board at the beginning of the hike. I love hiking trails that aren’t super crowded and this was it. Came across 2 people on the trail. My dog and I both thoroughly enjoyed this hike! Beautiful trail and beautiful lake. I drove up from battle Ground and drove home down to the gorge making the full loop. Both directions to the trailhead were clear and easy to drive on. Coming from battle Ground, the last 8 miles is gravel but it isn’t too rough.

Love this trail! Peaceful and beautiful

I found my way back to this trail recently. Planning s return for overnight stay!!

Great weather. Great views. Great hike!

Hiked up on July 4th with my 16,8,5 year old boys and our Lab. The road from Carson is in excellent condition. The weather was a bit cloudy with no beating sun with temperatures in the 70's which made the mosquitoes tolerable using Repel Sportsman Max 40. The hike up was awesome as usual and my 5 year old son did all by himself. I had to hold his hand a good amount of the time as many parts of the trail are quite steep with a solid drop off for a 5 year old. My 8 year old made it in and out all by himself. When we got there we found a camping spot along the East side of the lake and within 5 minutes of having my line in the water I pulled out a 12" Rainbow Trout! I used a Feather Treble Hook Spinner Spoon Lure with Balls O' Fire Salmon Eggs on 2 hooks and garlic PowerBait on the other hook. Now, does any of this matter? Who knows, I did not get another bit, nor did my 8 year old son over the next 4 hours, but hey, I got one and it was delicious! The mosquitoes at the lake weren't too bad either. There was maybe 5-6 sets of people we saw the entire 8 hour day including the trip in and out. I would say we had at least 3 hours by our self while fishing at the lake. The views at the ridge line of Mt. Adams, Mt. St. Helens and the Goat Rocks were stunning as always! The one trail blockage that was there in May has been removed so it is smooth sailing up and in. If you can call 5 miles and 1500' elevation gain smooth sailing. If you have never taken a trip up to Soda Peaks Lake, DO IT! It is well worth the drive. It is just over 2 hours from Battle Ground WA each way.

took a day hike with my family(including my 4 year old daughter and 9 year old nephew) not the easiest hike and ended up carrying my 4 year old on my shoulders about half way. it was worth it. awesome lake and caught 2 German brown trout in about 15 minutes of arriving. it was July of last year and it started raining pretty hard so we didnt stay long but I will be returning for an overnight trip.

Did this hike 5/27. The road from Carson had one patch of snow that might give some low-riding vehicles problems but is otherwise fine.

The trail is by and large pretty good UNTIL you come out of the switchbacks on the east side of the ridge. This is where you have to start walking on top of 2-3 foot snow drifts that haven’t melted.

TOTALLY doable but following the trail isn’t a walk in the park. A good topo map with GPS along with some common sense and you’ll be GTG. Or just wait until July.

The lake itself was perfectly crystal clear.

Planned a Memorial Day weekend 2-night backpack camping trip with my kids and another friend. Life happened and I was only able to go up for the day to visit. FS54 is still closed so I had to drive from Battle Ground through Carson and around the back side. I had to park about 1/2 mile from the trail head as the few patches of snow on the road were a bit too much for my Highlander. My Excursion would have been just fine. The hike to the ridge line wasn't that bad. There is still a couple of patches along the trail with over a foot of snow. As we made our decent we quickly hit a lot more snow after the switchbacks. That is where I surprisingly ran into my friend and his family hiking back OUT a day early. He said the main trail to the lake was covered in quite a bit of snow and that he ended up bushwacking down to the lake the day before and then back out that afternoon. They were able to camp in one of the camp sites just fine. The night was VERY COLD and windy. We may still be a few weeks to a month out before the full trail to the lake is snow free. Either way, my son and I, along with our lab had a blast hiking up and back out even if we did not get to hang out at the lake at all. We went to Stevenson and eat at Walking Man Brewery, a must visit if you ask me.

We weren't actually able to hike this today as there was still a lot of snow on the road about 4 miles from the trailhead. I like reading about this kind of thing in reviews so I know if I can even get there, so just thought I'd post that here! However, the drive up there is gorgeous (and paved, very good road conditions fyi) and definitely planning on going back later this year when the snow is melted and we can actually do the hike!

Friday, September 08, 2017

Pretty easy hike, although the trailhead was a bit hard to find. A good climb for the first 1.25 miles, nice switch backs on the way down to the lake! Nice camping spots along the lake! Quiet, clear trails!

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Would have loved to have even made it to the trailhead using the Chelatchie entrance to the western trailhead. Read below for conditions as of June, 11, 2017

FR 57 to 5704 to FR 58 has about three feet of snow for the last two miles to the 5407 JCT. It is covered in deep potholes as well. If you have the right vehicle, a strong resolve while driving on the edge of a very steep drop, patience to go about 10-15 mph for two hours, and chains, you may be able to get through this way.

FR 54 through the concrete dividers, road will go to gravel then back to paved. About half a mile into this paved portion the road is COMPLETELY GONE. Be aware, the hole we came across was about 7ft across and already 200-300 feet down. There are some warning markers hanging above in the tree on the other side of the chasm.

If you're planning to hike Soda, take the Carson route.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Great hike but with several blowdowns on the back side as you come down into the lake. Perfect place to spend a couple days camping and fishing. Five star without the blowdowns.

Monday, June 23, 2014

Closer to a 4 mile hike (out& back). 700 feet up, 600 down, repeat on the way back. The lake is gorgeous though, and you can camp there too. Make sure you have a good map to find the trail head.

Sunday, September 03, 2017