Snoqualmie Mountain

Snoqualmie Mountain is a 2.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

skiing

This is such a great hike, or scramble in my case. I did this solo yesterday and started at about noon. I was on all fours the majority of the time going up, but it was super fun. I looked up at one point and saw what I thought was the summit, but then I saw the actual summit when I got up there, and it felt so far away. I actually almost turned around, but I'm glad I didn't. It was much closer than it seemed. The views at the top were just amazing, despite all the smoke. I think it took me about 3 hours to get to the summit. I kept having to take multiple little breaks because I was having a hard time breathing. I even saw a guy wearing a respirator. I had the summit all to myself, and I'm pretty sure these are the best views I've seen in the pass. I used my hiking poles on my descent, which helped a lot. Coming down wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I just took it easy and was very careful. I think I was a mile or less away from the trailhead when I actually heard a bear huffing and puffing! I saw it moving behind the trees, maybe 30-40 feet away. I just made a lot of noise on the rest of the way down, and probably made it back in record time, haha. This is one of my new favorite hikes, and I'll definitely be coming back! (Bring plenty of sunscreen, a hat, and bug spray)

Great hike but wow that was a challenge. I am neither in the great nor bad shape I would say average. It took me two hours and 20 minutes to summit with a lot of effort. Trekking poles are a must in my opinion. They were Lifesavers and help take some of the stress off your legs. If you have any kind of knee issues or back I would not recommend this hike at all. On your way up expect your calves and quads to suffer and on your way down your knees will be in pain. A lot of loose dirt and rocks on the trail so be careful. Definitely worth the trip up though the view is stunning. Bring lots of water you will need it if you tend to drink a lot. My camelback was enough for the rt. Probably top 10 360 view hikes in the pnw.

This trail shouldn't be taken lightly. Its a very serious climb. There may be 8' of relatively flat trail on the entire climb. Most steps will require waist-level knee raises. Avoiding twisting ankles is an art here. The upper portion of the trail has significant loose rock causing much unsure footing. The last 300' can cause vertigo for the faint at heart, especially if you stay to the right along the rock ridge. Bring at least 4 pints of water and some light carbs or electrolytes. Make sure to bring bug spray. The mosquitoes and horse flies are hungry. Other than being more difficult than we expected, the views were amazing and made it worthwhile.

Amazing day, and amazing views. The waterfall just dried up this past week, so there is no longer a need for anything more than trail runners. The distance listed here is also very off. it was 1.89 miles from base to summit, and 3.78 round trip. Not a particularly difficult mountain, but I would recommend poles for the way down, as it can be quite nasty on the knees. Also bring bug spray, the mosquitoes are absolutely horrible.

This is a serious mountain ascent. I'm an intermediate mountain enthusiast and ex-bike racer and this climb pushed me way past my physical limits. To find the trailhead don't go towards the Snow Lake trailhead. The entrance to this trail is a little foot path right off the main road. You'll get a nice meadow view as you climb for the first few minutes. The trail then rears it's ugly head with a straight-up approach over knee-high boulders. Honestly I've never seen a mountain approach this aggressive. It might meander around a tree or two and levels off twice for about 10 feet but the majority of this climb is at least a staircase grade or steeper. I committed to using hiking poles but the whole time I considered ditching the poles for my scrambling gloves. The trail for the most part is easy to follow if you keep your head up and know how to recognize an established path. Having said that I started loosing my way up towards the summit. It gets really loose and rocky towards the top once you get to the boulder field and it's easy to loose the track. There are quite a few cairns showing the way if you look for them. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get to the summit on this trip. The approach to the summit is on the West side of a ridge and on the day I climbed there was rain & wind blowing sideways on that side of the ridge. With a few hundred feet left to go my legs were really starting to shake, the weather was getting worse and the ridge looked like it would require some pretty technical bouldering so I made the decision to turn around. The hike down was treacherous. My legs were cold and exhausted, my clothes were drenched and the rocks were wet and slippery. Quite an ordeal!

Monday, September 12, 2016