Snake Lake Loop Trail is a 3.1 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near Tacoma, Washington that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 3.1 km Elevation Gain: 44 m Route Type: Loop

wheelchair friendly

stroller friendly

At 71-acres, the Tacoma Nature Center preserve boasts more than 20 different species of mammals and about 100 species of birds. It is also home to reptiles, amphibians and native plant populations. The central feature of the Tacoma Nature Center is the 17-acre serpentine-shaped lake and wetland. The lake is home to the spectacularly colored wood duck, which frequently is seen at the first bridge. Mallards and Canada geese are common year-round residents. The plants and animals that live here are representative of those that share life with us in an urban environment. For the health of the ducks and geese, please refrain from feeding them.

Great trail! We went on the main loop, not the side trail on the west side. 5yo loved it. Plenty of shade, beautiful scenery. LOTS of huge ant hills so be careful. You can see ducks and turtles in the pond. At the time of my review, the parking lot is not open due to COVID.

This was 3600 steps and all flat which I needed today. But it still is a beautiful trail very well-maintained lots of parking and there are variations on this trail for more difficult hikes. So there are many choices. I highly recommend this location.

good hike but hard to follow designated trail. plenty of different options to choose on your own if u get lost. =)

A good trail, very peaceful and well defined. They add placard’s that belong to an audio tour of the route… I will have to look and see what app that is and maybe the trail might be a little bit better next time.

It’s a cute park! I don’t think we will go on a regular basis, but it was fun exploring.

Sun Jun 02 2019

Took my family hiking. Most of the area was more swamp than anything. There were so many mosquitoes, we spent our hike playing target practice on each other's backs. A few areas had trash from transient camps. The pond area it's self had lots of turtles, water Lillys and a family of ducks though. I would recommend the walk to the bridge that goes over the pond but not the whole trail.

Sat Jun 01 2019

fun saw

Wed May 22 2019

Went this evening with my husband and 2.5 year old. We circled around a little extra and got 2.8 miles. My daughter loved it. I’ve been in Tacoma 2 years now and didn’t know of this spot.

Sat May 18 2019

pros : play area interactive center cons homeless people

Mon Apr 22 2019

I have a toddler. So anything that keeps the little entertained and outdoors is great! this trail has cute little signs to read and learn about planets and animals. Has a pond with a bridge that is fun with the kids!

Tue Apr 16 2019

Did this nice little trail on 4/12 with my nieces and nephews. Lots of great things to keep the kids entertained and they loved the playground!

Tue Mar 26 2019

This was a hidden gem. I didn't know what to expect on a hike with my two small kids in a stroller. There is little to no trash. The play area and wildlife center are amazing. This is probably the top end for strollers with it's hard packed gravel and occasional root, my 7mo still managed to sleep the entire time.

Sat Feb 23 2019

Nice little urban hike - only issue I had was how noisy it was. Will definitely wear headphones the next trip. But it's an easy and quick hike if you don't want to travel outside the city.

Fri Jan 04 2019

Wonderful little green belt with a well groomed trail. I live a couple blocks away so it’s a favorite of mine. Enjoy.

Thu Jan 03 2019

beautiful place to be didnt know we couldn't bring dogs until we were already leaving.

Thu Oct 11 2018

Fri Jul 13 2018

I really enjoyed this trail! Great spot for kids!

Fri Jul 13 2018

It’s amazing how you can be right in the middle of Tacoma and be able to “escape” to a beautiful nature walk that just rejuvenates you. So beautiful in the springtime seeing turtles, birds, chipmunks, ant hills, flowers, raspberries, etc and large wooded area. We love this walk or run for anytime of day. Beautiful, fun park for the kids too.

Sat Mar 24 2018

I hiked this trail today, although, I didn't use this app today. nice hike

Fri Mar 23 2018

Easy and exciting for the eyes and heart.

Mon Mar 19 2018

The trail is not paved but easy for children. It’s a great learning experience for all ages since there’s a wonderful nature center with fun activities on the site. There’s a really nice play area too for the kids to play on. Great place for educational learning about ponds, watershed animals, water cycle and nature outdoors.

Mon Jan 15 2018

Nice short little trail tucked in between the pond and Route 16. My dogs enjoyed it, decent open parking, and not busy.

Thu Mar 30 2017

Muddy in places this time of year. Nice pocket of "wilderness" right in the middle of Tacoma. Have seen owls, raccoons, and deer on occasion. Sometimes the turtles are sunning themselves on the logs in the lake at the first bridge.

Mon Feb 13 2017

Love this for the kids

Sat Jan 28 2017

Good for training but not a whole lot offered