Sleeping Beauty Trail

Sleeping Beauty Trail is a 2.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Trout Lake, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,351 feet Route Type: Out & Back

From Vancouver, east 70 miles on Highway 14 to Highway 141. Turn north and drive 22 miles to Forest Service Road 88, just beyond the town of Trout Lake. Turn right on Forest Service Road 88 and drive 5 miles to Forest Service Road 8810. Turn right and drive 5 miles to Forest Service Road 8810-040. Turn right and drive 0.5 mile to the trailhead on the left.

Amazing hike. I would recommend it to everyone.

Started 4:45p and finished at 6:15p we made it up to where Mt. Adams is perfectly seen right across but not up the rocky climb. Would have loved to see mountain goats but it was getting too late and didn’t want to get caught up there in the dark with our two boys 5 and 9. It was definitely a hard hike up but challenging on the way down since it’s steep. Wish we had more time to really take in the top view but definitely had a great work out. Trail condition good, the trail was shaded and cool out. Didn’t encounter bugs which was great. My boys didn’t make all the way up, left them with my phone half way which is why recording trail tracker only shows up to half way.

Consistently steep slope to the top, where there is a view of Adams, Ranier, St. Helen's, and Hood. Shaded until the very end. No water along the trail.

I clocked it a bit longer , 3.0 mi

very nice but hard to find.

This was a fun little hike that I must admit, burned this old dude’s calves. Absolutely no views until the end but as others have stated, it’s mostly in the shade. I’d be very careful with dogs and kids on top. It felt very exposed to me. I feel the end is a suitable payoff for the effort

This trail isn’t particularly scenic until you reach the top where it totally makes up for it! The trail is steep but shaded the whole way up so take breaks as needed. The last section is rocky which makes it a bit more challenging and then you come up on the panoramic vista where on a clear day you can see Adams, Hood, St Helens, Rainier, and several others of which I don’t know the names. Will definitely do again once I forget how out of breath I was on the climb.

I thought I was ready for this trail. I mean, 2.4 miles in & back...pssh..easy, right? I knew I was in trouble when at the 0.2 mark I was out of breath, my legs were burning, & humidititties was an understatement. It took tons of encouragement from my (much more physically fit) life partner to keep me going. Bribes of rest breaks, snacks, & rock collecting were a must. We made it to the top & it was BEYOND worth it. Seeing Mt. Adams, Hood, Rainier, & St. Helens MORE than made up for my having to haul a voluptuous extra 30 pounds uphill the entire way. I reccomend this trail to anyone who is accustomed to incline hiking... and I have a new goal for myself...work hard & do it again.

Steady incline through the forest until you reach the rocky top with great views of Adams, along with distant views of Hood, St Helens and Rainer.

Steep incline, good workout, and most breathtaking view! Well worth!

Great hike! Paved road gives way to dirt road but not too bad for our Dodge Van. The way to top is all incline. Very isolated....only saw one other couple on our way down. The view at top is beautiful!

Mid May. Short hike, but amazing views from the cliffs. You come face to face with Mt Adams - I was in awe. Some snow for the last 500 yards, but it did not totally block the trail - use care. If you bring kids, be careful at the top - I estimated the drop off at around 1,000 feet. Enjoy.

It’s quite the hike going up but the views are 100% worth it.

5/5/19. the road to the trailhead had a bit of snow which was not a problem with studded tires. snow for the top section of the trail, passable with spikes and poles. continued on and hiked almost to the top. the footstep path through the snow went off trail. the conditions were dangerous: steep, snowy, scree-y, and large stones that came apart with weight, so we turned around very close to the top and did not get to see the view. very special place. if you look at the recording of our hike, something was wrong with the tracking, our path followed the trail until the top when wewent off trail for a bit.

This morning we drove up till about 2 miles left to the trail and there’s huge pile of snow blocked the road that’s cleared out. We had to turn around and find other trail to go to.

Did it in September 2018. Clear day you can see 4 mountains. Truly special experience

Incredible 4 mountaIn views: Mt Adams, Mt Rainier, Mt St. Helen's and Mt Hood. Take gaitors!

Steep. The road to the trail is well marked and well maintained. Little slick in November, probably not great in the rain. The trail is up the road 8810 just before where it narrows, about 50 yds back down the road from where you stop. There’s a sign. If you’re not on an obvious trail that’s marked at the trailhead, go back and look. Trust me when I say you don’t want to try going up the wrong way. (I did find the trail eventually). It doesn’t get less steep, but keep going to the top. The view of Mt Adams is spectacular. Mt St Helens is 80 miles away and looks great also. You can easily see mt hood as well. I understand Rainier is visible but it was clouded over. It’s very cold and windy on top, so layers. Trip down is a breeze.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Well worth the drive to this trail. Over 1,400 feet gain in under 1.8 miles is a great workout. Total miles per my Fitbit is 3.54 miles We saw 3 people on the trail so we basically had the trail to ourselves. It was quiet with gorgeous views on the top. It wasn’t a hard hike for me but it was a great workout for sure so it’ll get your heart pumped up. -:) We saw all 4 mountains. Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainer, Mt. Hood, and Mt. Adams. It was a little windy on top so definitely bring layers. The rock wall was totally cool towards the top, you could tell it was man made but Wow, what a work! You will zig zag up toward the summit. We walked out to the summit, however the summit is not marked nor there is a sign in book. We enjoyed every second of the hike and I felt an enormous gratitude on this hike. I appreciated the fall colors dancing under the sun showing their colorful glory. If you hike it twice in a row you will get a great training hike for something bigger in the future. Don’t forget your hiking poles on this one. Happy hiking!

Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Trail is so worth it, but the climb is straight up 1300 ft over 2 miles length! Switchbacks & some rock climbing at the top. However, if you can handle that part.. it’s so worth it!! Can see Mt Adams, Helen’s & Mt Hood!! We were there on a cloudy day so the peak views weren’t great, but still well worth the trip for the vast views of trees and beauty. As a side note: if you’re planning to get to trailhead from the all trails written directions.. service road 88 has a name = trout lake creek road. If you look for SR 88, you won’t find it! Learned that one the hard way :)

Monday, August 20, 2018

Fun hike on Saturday. We parked in the first parking lots, although the road leading to the closer parking lot has been repaired since last time I was there, and I would drive it if I went back. Not too muddy. For four quick hikers and a dog, it took us 3 hours and we clocked almost 8 miles (we walked the gravel road to the trailhead, adding about 3 miles)

Tuesday, August 14, 2018

It was one of my favorite hikes

Monday, June 25, 2018

Must do on a clear day!!! Views are amazing

Sunday, June 03, 2018

It was a hard hike for a desk jockey, but well worth the pain. Even saw three mountain goats.

Thursday, May 24, 2018

This trail is absolutely stunning when you reach the top. It has a good incline but with steady steps and a few breaks it's very doable. Be prepared for a lot of wind depending on the day. Our visit the wind was shoving us around at the top which can be a bit scary with the drop offs. Keep an eye out for Mountian Goats. You won't find a better viewpoint though. Pick a sunny day and you'll be completely amazed.

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Beware of numerous potholes on FSR88. Trailhead marked well. It’s a brisk climb right away on this trail, and it doesn’t let up until you near the top. The upper portion of the trail leading to the summit is snowed over but still passable until the last 1/4 mile. We scrambled over some precarious rocks to reach the peak. Snow free up top but lots of loose rocks so watch your step! Killer views of Adams, Rainier, St Helen’s, and Hood.