Skyscraper Mountain via Wonderland Trail

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(45)
Mount Rainier National Park

Skyscraper Mountain via Wonderland Trail is a 7.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Distance: 7.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,732 feet Route Type: Out & Back

On the peak, it feels like a true mountain peak and it felt like I was standing on top of the world. The height of the peak put me in the clouds and thus my 360 degree was limited. Go on a clear day to fully enjoy the view. Although the Sunrise parking lot was packed with cars on the Labor Day weekend I hiked, I had this peak to myself as the majority of hikers headed to other trails. The last 1/2 mile will take a strong push to reach peak but it'll be worth it. Listen and look for marmots.

Hiked out for sunset, hiked back under the stars with a headlamp. Beautiful!! Saw half a dozen whistling marmots in one area along the way. There was surprisingly little wind, and warm layers were only needed when we stopped for a while at the saddle to eat and watch the sunset. We started later than planned, so did not go all the way up to the peak; it may have been colder up there. The sky was completely clear. I hiked Burroughs Mountain last week, and it was neat to be back on familiar ground and to see Burroughs from a different angle. Can't wait to hike this one again.

This hike is pretty. Steady. Another angle to view the mountain. I saw a few marmots and lots of flowers. Beautiful!

Hiked on July 13th. The Peak was in and out of the clouds all day. No views of Rainier but the views of Grand Park, Fremont Lookout and Burroughs Mountain were awesome. Trail is in great shape however the last snow field at Skyscraper Pass is no joke. No room for error if you slip. Added a trip to Berkeley Park camp for a total of 12 miles. Mountain Goats we’re out in Hucklberry Valley and on the approach slope of Skyscraper. They pushed off as we began up the trail. Lots of Marmots in Berkeley Park.

It was a beautiful day for a 4th of July hike! We had intended on doing Burroughs Mountain, but the snow patch part way up 1st Burroughs deterred us. Heading out to Skyscraper, there were a couple snow patches that were easy to cross. The last snow patch at the bowl near the turnoff to Skyscraper Mountain (this may be Skyscraper Pass?) was a little tricky but is manageable. The trail up the mountain was clear.

Mon Sep 24 2018

hiking today and I had a great time perfect weather had to know before the session closed

Mon Aug 06 2018

Loved this trail as a sunrise hike! We started at 3am in the dark, armed with our headlamps, and had no trouble staying on the trail. Follow the map or other people’s recordings and you can’t go wrong. It was an easy hike until the last half mile or so up the spine of Skyscraper which has quick elevation gain and some loose rock. No scrambling required though and no snow at the moment. Bring a layer if doing a sunrise hike! It’s chilly and windy at the top!

Tue Aug 08 2017

This is a very moderate hike except for the last climb to the top which is really steep but shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. Spectacular views from the top.

Mon Aug 07 2017

The trail isn't the best you will see in the region, and the last uphill climb is quite steep but the view of Rainer and the surrounding areas are spectacular.

Sat Sep 03 2016

I hiked this mid August with my boyfriend. It is by far one of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. Most of the trail isn't too challenging, the only part I found difficult was the peak itself, that was painful but the views from the top were amazing so it was worth it.

Sun Jul 03 2016

7/2/16 The trail up to the summit at this point is pretty much snow free with a few snow fields to cross! Early morning as always is the best (less foot traffic) in this area! Bugs were at a minimum ,did see some goats and marmots !

Thu Oct 01 2015

Sunday 9-27-2015: My wife and I hiked to the summit of Skyscraper mountain in Mount Rainier National Park. The weather was perfect, no cloud in the sky, not cold, not hot either. We started at Sunrise at 10 am. We saw a herd of mountain goats near Frozen Lake. We reached Skyscraper Mountain at 1 pm. There was no one else at the summit of Skyscraper Mountain. We enjoyed 360 degree view dominated by Mount Rainier. We had lunch at the summit and left at 1:20 pm and returned to Sunrise by 3 pm.

Tue Jul 21 2015

Best hike I've ever done. Great views and the trail wasn't too strenuous. The last scramble up the mountain is well worth the sweat!

Fri Aug 01 2014

I didn't do the mountain, but I did do the pass. I found the trail rather easy, and I had already done Freemont Lookout that morning. . We started from Sunrise Vistor Center