Skyline Trail

Skyline Trail is a 5.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from July until October.

Distance: 5.9 miles Elevation Gain: 1,788 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

Note: This route is rated moderate-hard. Trail loops around broad Edith Creek basin, leading through alpine flower meadows, past thundering waterfalls, and over high, craggy peaks. In this one loop you'll experience the best paradise region has to offer. Users recommend going counter clockwise.

icy

I would recommend this trail 100%! Weather conditions were really bad, snowing and very low visibility. Walking sticks and snowshoes HIGHLY recommended! You’re gonna be required to have chains for your tires. It was really beautiful! Got one small glance of the beautiful mountains once the sun came out for a split second.

Roaming Sugarloaf Mtn

amazing views!

Incredible views. Hiked in mid September 2019. No snow except way up in the glacier & higher elevation. it was just beautiful greenery. You go from a low, beautiful green vegetation, to vastly different rocky terrain, back to incredible vegetation on the descent. There are several waterfalls far off as you hike up. Beautiful expansive views. We started around 1030am. Weather was 66 at the start, at top elevation was around 33 a few hours later, then rose back to near 70 on our descent. This particular stretch is just a lot of direct ascent. But until the last loop sign you can detour for shorter loops still. So I would say its moderate, but I'm very physically fit. it's pretty well maintained trail until the top most portion of the loop which is rocky. But you wont get lost.

icy

Hiked on 11-30 on a beautiful sunny/clear day. Rainier had gotten a decent amount of snow on 11/26 - 11/27. Absolutely incredible views of Rainier and the Tatoosh Range & epic hike in the winter!!! Winter Conditions: The first 1.5 miles were very packed down snow and the rocks lining the edges of the trail were still visible--no trouble with conditions here. At the 1.5 mile mark when you make the sharp turn to head southeast the trail was no longer visible beneath the snow pack, and there was a long snow crossing required on a steep slope. Poles and micro spikes were required for safety here. From there to Panorama Point the conditions were consistently icy and required navigating steep pitches in 1'+ of snow. The southward turn at about 2.5 miles was frozen over with hard ice after the sun had beat down on that face all morning. We couldn't see anyone or evidence of anyone taking that route (we saw LOTS of skiers touring up to Camp Muir but saw no one descending this eastern side of the Skyline Trail). After checking it out we realized it was far too icy to navigate safely/controlled on the downward slope without crampons or an ice ax. We turned back and hiked down the way we came. I'm very glad we did. Even upon retracing our route the snow pack had loosened in the sun and we encountered multiple people who had lost traction in the snow and slid down mountain some. This is only based on the day/time we went and obviously winter conditions/snow pack very a lot depending on the precip, wind, sun, temps, etc. Depending on conditions I wouldn't go past that 1.5 mark without having microspikes, poles, and quality snow gear/experience. Can't wait to re-hike in the summer season!

icy

This was a great trail. Lots of clean, fresh snow, but the trail was easy to stick to. It was moderately trafficked. Last week we definitely needed traction for much of the way. Views were beautiful! Awesome hike!

Incredible views, clearly marked trails, snow on about half the hike. Easily a 5 star hike

This was a breathtaking trail from beginning to end! I was lucky to be there in August with flowers in full bloom. The mountain tops looked like little islands because of the thick clouds around them.

icy

This day hike or woke me up to the beauty of Washington’s mountains. This may be the best alpine loop hike I’ve ever done, a sentiment which John Muir echoes on the steps at the beginning of the trail. Now I am itching to do the Wonderland Trail!

10/24/19. Snow in October and a clear blue day! I was the second car to reach the parking lot at 8am. The snow started immediately from the parking lot. Did the loop counterclockwise. I was completely alone until i reached the pebblecreek trail junction when I saw a handful of skinners coming up the other side. I did it with poles and microspikes. Snowshoes would have helped in a few areas but manageable without thanks to a good boot trail. Views were epic as you could see all the main volcanoes including Hood. It was a winter wonderland and 50 degrees! Couldn’t have asked for a better hike. Glad i went early, it was getting busy and the tour busses were rolling in as I was leaving

We had the rare day with no clouds in the sky. The views were world class. I was told by locals this is a rarity. The trail itself requires snow shoes if you're gonna do the entire loop. We didn't have them and 6 miles took 5 hours. If you don't have snow shoes, go up counter clockwise and down the same way. It's heavy traffic and in better shape. The other way was waist high snow. Treacherous....

amazing views .... very wet snow the entire trail. Thankfully had spikes and poles. Followed show show tracks and would have been super helpful to have snow shoes. Kept falling up to our knees and sometimes hips in snow. Soaked by the end. Worth it because the payoff was amazing and constant. Had trail to ourselves. was glad to have snow shoe tracks to follow.

Beautiful!!!! Saw mt Rainer, mt Adams and mt St. Helens standing in their full glory!! Trails are snow covered with some missed steps being knee deep but a lot of people trafficking the beginning part of the trail. And some awesome skiers! Road is also clear to paradise parking lot

Clear and sunny. Absolutely beautiful!

Super Clear and sunny day! Amazing views of ST. Hellens, Adams, and even Hood. Went around clockwise, steep climb most of the way with patches of snow and ice. Easily got through with trail runners and trekking poles. Will do this again with the family.