Skyline Loop Trail

Skyline Loop Trail is a 5.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Paradise Inn, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September.

wheelchair friendly

From Tacoma, south 40 miles on Highway 7 to Elbe. Turn east on Highway 706 and drive 10 miles to the Nisqually Entrance Station. Continue 18 miles to the National Park Inn at Paradise. The trailhead is behind the inn.

Got to the park entrance around 12:30. Long line. Got to Paradise and was lucky to catch a car leaving so I was able to park. Started hike around 1:30 clockwise. Started at the steps with the inscription, onto Skyline trail, then Deadhouse Creek Trail, then Skyline trail again, then a bit of Glacier Vista trail, back to Skyline, then Pebble Creek Trail, then Upper Skyline, onto Skyline, then Golden Gate Trail to avoid more snow, finishing with Skyline towards Paradise Inn. Passed by Myrtle Falls viewpoint. Total time was about 5 hours because I kept stopping to take photos. I managed to grab a pricey cold sandwich before the cafeteria closed at 645pm.

I crossed a lot of snow fields. Hiking stick and hiking shoes are a must. People with sneakers and no sticks just had a hard time. The top of mountain had a cloud cover one minute, then got clear another minute. This cycle just kept going.

If i went counter clockwise there's a spot where I could have glissaded. That would have been fun.

Amazing! maybe the prettiest trek we have done. For reference, we have been through Jasper, Banff, Glacier, etc...

Add it to your must do list.

We started out early in the morning, when the ranger informed us that we could not go round trip on the trail because it was "closed" due to snow. We hiked to Panorama Point, but had to cross several snowfields to get there. My teenagers had no trouble with this, but I would have been better off with some extra grippers on my boots. Cloudy when we headed out--absolutely gorgeous on the way down. Quite busy, though we did go on a Sunday. The early morning portion included several climbers headed up to base camp.

Beautiful. Most of trail is still under snow and not marked at all. Be careful not to get lost if doing the full route as the trail was extremely hard to find and we missed it before backtracking and searching the treeline...
Relatively easy walking despite the snow cover.

We only went a little past the waterfall (about .5 mile from the lodge). The wild flowers are beautiful. The snow was passable with running shoes but it would have been a lot easier with boots. Beautiful hike all the way. Be careful to stay on the trail or snow to protect the flowers.

Still snow packed. First section is fairly crowded, but thins out the closer you get to panorama point. With current conditions, it would be easier with crampons. Still with gorgeous views.