Skyline Lake Trail

Skyline Lake Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Leavenworth, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,072 feet Route Type: Loop

skiing

Park in the North side Stephens, large parking graveled parking lot.

We hiked up yesterday with snowshoes but missed the final fork to the lake (we think) so didn't get the entire way there. Easy to get to the parking in our Ford Fiesta, but we needed to search a bit for the trail start. Really enjoyable hike and we'll definitely be back to find the lake!

Snowshoe while the kids snowboarded. It’s mostly up a FS road with a short .2 mile to the lake. This is steep, some sections over 30%! Got a little sketchy coming down because of the ice on a packed trail, even with snowshoes. It was fun breaking trail through the woods around the lake. If you continue across the lake you will find a rock pinnacle that was sketchy at best. I am betting the views are amazing but it was snowing so no view. Lots of folks, few dogs. Nice but not great.

Trail hides at the upper portion of a parking lot. Had to use google map to find it. Very deep snow and steep. Snowshoes will definitely help. Most of people had their ski gears hiking up and ski down. Looks so fun!! The lake itself is covered with fresh snow, so you can’t really see anything.

Trail head took a little bit to find, ended up finally finding it on the upper portion parking lot with the bridge over the highway! There’s no signs at all or that we could find. We had to go off of our location on AllTrails in order to figure out where to even park. The hike up was a bit rough, it’s a rock road all the way up. Extremely steep, more on the upper list of “moderate” hikes. Once you get up to the end of the trail about a quarter of the way to the top there is a stack of rocks marking the trail to the lake that you go off of the rock road. (By the way still no signs at all for Skyline Lake had to go off the App) Once you get off the rock road the hike into the lake is a breeze. So easy! Most reviews of AllTrails of this hike said it was overgrown. But wasn’t terrible in Nike’s and my mom was in hiking boots! We hiked in the rain and the fog, perfect Washington Weather. So we didn’t see all that much of the Lake. But so gorgeous to walk through on the dirt trail!Fall colors are definitely starting to pop out. Just the hike into the dirt path was terrible, slippery and hard to get traction.

I can't say that I can recommend this hike to anyone. Well, maybe my enemies. The "trail" is almost entirely just a quite steep (an unrelenting 20-50% grade most of the way) access road made up of loose, sharp, medium-sized rocks (goodbye ankles). About 0.2 miles before you get to the lake, you get to veer off this access road and hike on an actual trail with dirt on it! The trail itself needs a little work, but you still finally start to enjoy the hike. However, it's already over because you're at the lake before you can even finish cursing out the first 1.3 miles. As for the lake itself, it is stunning. It's really quite gorgeous, as any relatively untouched lake at this altitude is. That's where the enjoyment ends though... Once you get to the lake the trail gets so overgrown you're often not sure if it's even a trail anymore. And the mosquitoes!!! We honestly couldn't even just sit and enjoy the lake because the mosquitoes were swarming so heavily that we really just didn't want to be there anymore. With how overgrown the trail around the lake was, we didn't even attempt to go all the way around. So all in all, 2/5 stars: will NOT do again. For what it's worth, the lake itself gets 1.8 of the 2 stars. Without it this would be a 0.2 star hike.

I made it to the lake but unfortunately I couldn't walk around it because it is covered in snow and I'm a solo hiker. I did have GPS so it was easy to stay on track. the trail isnt easily marked and going up is just about all loose gravel. The lake ( although covered in snow) was beautiful, you could see to the bottom is was so clear. It's a short hike with steep inclines.

hike was a good challenge, steady incline all the way up. day was a bit wet, with fog and drizzle. But, lake looks pristine and nice. Trip took us over plenty of snow and off trail but with GPS, we made it just fine. Hike was great.

We snowshoed this trail yesterday and it was beautiful. There were lots of people out enjoying the snow in various forms...we even ran into a family who set up lawn chairs about a third of the way up to observe and hang out as their kids went sledding. It was a super fun vibe and I definitely want to remember this trail for next winter. The path to get to the lake wasn’t very clear with the snow. We missed it the first time and followed another couple down who missed it as well but it can be found if you’re looking closely for a trail of footprints. Parking is a breeze and no pass is needed.

Amazing views from the rock garden at the top! great maintained trail, well packed. spikes came in handy, snowshoes were necessary at the top by the ridgeline.

My brother and I went Sunday afternoon. We got to the trailhead @ about 1:15pm. There were a few people carrying up their snowboards and skis. It started snowing on the way up and my feet became frozen but I pushed through! There was a lot of fresh snow. If you decide to snowboard down, PLEASE be cautious there are others on this trail!! We almost got pummeled by boarders who were not looking. When you get to the 4 way crossing, go left, otherwise you will end up to the cell tower and dead end. We walked around the lake on a tiny trail and saw a snowman and a half built igloo! Very cool. Be cautious about creating your own trail, there are many hidden drops where you could get stuck. Overall beautiful day and I would do this again! My favorite snowshoe so far.

Great snowshoeing today. We enjoyed great weather with partly cloudy skies giving us peek-a-boo vistas of the surrounding mountaintops. We probably went further than we should have past the “Rock Garden” up to the little saddle between the two steep and rocky peaks. Fresh snow on the trees just added to the pleasure of traversing this winter wonderland.

January 27, 2019: If it hasn't snowed recently and the trees are all melted, like today, then this hike to Skyline Lake is a three star event; for as steep as it is the reward isn't spectacular. The only thing that saved it was the side trail continuing up NW from the lake. We had a nice, clear day and were rewarded with some great non-360 views and neat snow/rock formations along the way. Anyone going beyond the lake would do well to wear snowshoes. We wore our MSR Revo Ascents the entire time and glad we had the traction, even though the main trail is well trampled. We passed a handful skiers throughout the day and observed moderate foot traffic overall, with quite a few off-leash dogs to note. The parking lot will fill up by mid morning on a weekend, so plan for that.

Mon Jan 14 2019

The views from this hike were spectacular but I will echo what others have said: it was steep! So be prepared for that and snowshoes or spikes are required. The trail to the lake branches off from the service road soon after the first tower, however if you go up to the second tour you will be rewarding with sweeping views of the back country.

Tue Jan 08 2019

The elevation kicked my tail, but this was absolutely amazing! About one foot of beautiful fresh powder! We sled down on saucers, so fun!

Fri Jan 04 2019

Great snowshoe which gains elevation right off the bat. Switchbacks for awhile and then you get toward the lake and it becomes more of a trail which levels off, versus a road. A little busy but to be expected at the pass. 1-90 got shut down so we couldn’t do our original plan. This was a good, quick backup on the way to Leavenworth. Completed on 1/4/19.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Really beautiful hike. Views overlooking the cascades on the way up were stunning seeing the snow capped mountains in the distance with fog/clouds rolling into the valley and high cloud cover above. Heavy snow heaving on the alpine firs, and untouched powder bounding off into the trees. View from the top was pretty, and the snow covered lake was fun for my son (12) to imagine what was below. Only drawback were two- is despite the short length - the elevation gain is tricky and my son had to stop several times. The top of the mountain has a T-Mobile cell tower which was a little disheartening to have it spoil the “Untouched” feel. But my son was happy he had “4 bars Dad!”

Tue Jan 01 2019

I snowshoed this trail today (12/31) it has great views & the trailhead was easy to find from Steven’s Pass parking lots. It was quite crowded but still made for a great short snowshoeing trip.

Tue Jun 19 2018

It was more of a hard trail. Made it .6 miles in and turned back. Solid rocks up the trail. About another mile in there is snow covered in June. We saw beautiful views of our little bit in. It was fun and beautiful just more of a hard trail with the gravel. We did not have poles. I would recommend them.

Tue Feb 13 2018

My wife and I hiked to Skyline Lake and beyond from Stevens Pass. The trail to the lake was packed hard, so we didn't use snowshoes. The trail was rather steep but we didn't have problem. The trail from the lake to the rock garden was crusty so we used snowshoes. On the way down the snow on the tail became soft and slippery where the sun was beating down so we used Microspikes. I saw other people using skis, snowshoes, and spikes. The weather was sunny. The temperature was between 17 and 38 degrees F. It was a gorgeous day.

Fri Jan 05 2018

Snowshoe beyond the lake up to the rock ridge for views.

Fri Aug 04 2017

Not worth the effort. It's just a steep way up prepared for 4WDs, no views.

Wed May 17 2017

Awesome places to go winter snow camping

Sun Dec 04 2016

First time snow shoeing and first on trail so it was hard but we did It and loved it. Lots of people on the way down and the trail was easier after others were on it