Skyline Divide Trail

Skyline Divide Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Deming, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and backpacking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,381 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Glacier: Drive east on State Highway 542 for approximately 1 mile, turn right on Forest Service Road #39, Glacier Creek Road. Then turn immediately left onto Forest Service Road #37, Deadhorse Road. Drive approximately 13 miles to the trailhead parking lot.

Went up yesterday, November 8. Perfect day, sunny warm, no wind, only three other people. Snow on upper 3rd of trail, snow on top. Road to trailhead clear and no problem for any vehicle, just slow around some potholes. Saw grouse, used our bot chains coming back down the top third of trail on the icy area then removed them. Perfect place, perfect day. We’ve camped up there before and I love this spot!

Okay, Amazing Hike! FIRST NOTE of concern. The last 45-60 min of the drive to the trailhead is a crater laden road. I drive a SUBARU Legacy and was able to achieve. With a swift yet Surgical Crawl through some of the treachery, it was a piece of cake. SECOND NOTE: the first mile and half or so of the trail is a shaded, steep climb, bring your good hoof! Once out of the bush, it opens to a view that no photo will do justice. Leading me to the THIRD NOTE: Crampons Required!!! Or some type of traction enhancing gizmo, it’s steep and slick in the early hours. Lastly, the “3.5 Mile” distance is more of a guideline....This trail goes on....and on...and on. Have fun! Hopefully this helped someone.

hardest hike so far in my book, but was worth it. medium/hard level.

i have not hiked this yet. my friend and i attempted today. pothole were not bad because it was recently regraded, but i advice all wheel drive because there is now snow starting about 9miles in. we did nit make it up and ended up in a ditch needing to get towed. we were in an equinox with front wheel drive. we are also both originally from florida lol... just something to think about. we will be attempting this on another date with a friend who has a better vehicle for snow

First time I’ve been here, was surprised how good the drive up was, even though about half way started to get a bit of snow. Parking lot was plentiful, and did have a toilet. The trail itself started off really muddy and bit transitioned to snow after kit too long. Amazing views and great hike.

Great hike but be wary of the road to the trailhead! Drove up on 10/12 and the last 4 miles of road were covered in ice and snow. Definitely need a suitable vehicle to make it up. On the way down we saw cars that skidded off the road and had to call tow trucks to get them out...

October 2nd. great hike that is a bit tough for the first 2-2.25 miles until it opens up to the crest of the divide. unfortunately I think I missed the fall colors I was hoping to see. I feel like I missed them by a few days to a week. it was still worth the hike and it is beautiful up there.

It was a fun trail up to the ridge with gorgeous views and fresh snow from the skyline on. I am going to go again and stay the night when I’m more prepared.

Skyline Divide Sept 21 2019. stunning views, beautiful trail, loved it. About 2.5 miles moderate grade through forest to start will get you warmed up for sure. Forest opens up to ridgeline followed by a series of knolls. Views of Baker, Shuksan & Tahoma are spectacular throughout. Fall colours just starting to show. Drive up forestry road is a solid hour slow going dodging big potholes. 4x4 not necessary, could be done with a car but might take some abuse, wouldn't take a car if I had one. Happy hiking!

The trail was hard but beautiful! The long 12 mile road to the trail was horrible! More potholes than road in some place.

I would definitely advise before anyone heads there that there is a 12 MILE road that is not paved. It was 12 miles of potholes! there was no mercy in those 12 miles. once we got to the trail head it is 2.6 miles uphill. I would not recommend it for beginners or anyone that is not experienced with hiking Uphill. after 2.6 we finally got to a flat point which YES had a wonderful view of the mountains, meadows, trees and fog. we decided to climb up the larger hill to get to the summit. which was about 1 mile uphill as well. definitely amazing views even on a rainy and foggy day. just keep in mind for every uphill there is a downhill. I would have given it 5 stars but that 12 mile road was relentless!!!!

This was a fun hike. A well maintained, diverse trail through the forest followed by wide open spaces on top. Warning: As mentioned the road getting there is pretty bumpy. Enjoy the view!!

The last 12 miles of dirt road and potholes was tough but I think it helped keep the crowds down. We hiked this midweek and there were just a few other hikers. The views were fantastic and well worth the drive, and the trail is perfectly maintained. We were a couple of weeks late for the wildflowers though. On a clear day this would be perfect at sunrise or sunset, we are already planning to hike this again next year and watch the sunset from the top. Enjoy!

Okay, yes, the road up is really bad... My 4x4 Jeep, I mean 98 Corolla, was a trooper and made it to the top. Took just over an hour, not for the faint of heart but doable in any car if you're slow enough. The hike itself is beautiful. The first 4km of the hike is a big push up the side of the mountain. Once you reach the top (just after the switchbacks on the map) you can follow the ridge for as far as your heart desires. Plenty of dirt patches to set up camp after the first hill. We left the parking lot at 5:00pm and reached the top by 6:30pm with plenty of breaks. Just enough time to set up camp and catch sunset. 10/10

We were unfortunate to reach a cloudy peak but some wholes in the clouds gave us a good idea of how magnificent this place is. This is a moderate trail, no scrambling nor slippery stretches. No bugs in our case and it obviously gets windy on top. 2h30 to reach peak with quick water brakes. And please, if you pack it in, pack it out.

The views were Amazing at the top. I wouldn’t call this a “ hard” hike some parts were steep. The road to the trail is terrible. Pot holes very bad.

The road up to the trail-head is long and full of pot holes, but doable in a small car, it will take about 80 minutes.The trail itself isn't too difficult, a steady incline for the first two miles, then starts to level out. Be sure to only hike this trail on a clear day, so you are able to enjoy the amazing views.

went to chowder ridge scoping a future hadley peak attempt.. super good viewss. way to many people