Skyline Divide Trail is a 7.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Deming, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, bird watching, and backpacking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,381 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Glacier: Drive east on State Highway 542 for approximately 1 mile, turn right on Forest Service Road #39, Glacier Creek Road. Then turn immediately left onto Forest Service Road #37, Deadhorse Road. Drive approximately 13 miles to the trailhead parking lot.

We parked where the snow started and hiked up the road in the snow (3ft deep or more) and made it 3 miles up without hitting the trailhead....great workout but will wait for the snow to melt and attempt it again!

Worth every sore muscle. The views are absolutely incredible. It's been several years since I've been up there but the views are etched in my brain. Of course, I went with a girlfriend and a bottle of wine and a warm body to snuggle with didn't hurt.

5/9/2020 There was a Subaru “stuck” in the middle of the road in a snow drift and the owner left it there instead of waiting for help (lots of trucks up there would have been happy to give a helpful tug), which blocked the roadway for all. There was, however, a tree blocking the road not long after, so whatevs, I guess. I’ll add a picture of where the tree blocks the road (in blue) so people can decide if they want to add the extra mileage to get up. There was still a lot of snow, but these warm temperatures might quickly change that. On a clear day, this hike is lovely! But the conditions were a little obnoxious today.

This is an awesome view! We went up this in early may and you aren’t able to drive up to the trailhead so we had to walk 3.5 miles up the road to the trial head. The whole trail was snow/ slush went up in hiking boots and it was difficult but can be done highly recommend either snow shoes or gators.

Amazing trail in the summer, just went up yesterday, I’d be careful there are patches of compacted snow that are hard to pass through, also there are downed trees that have blocked the road. Past that point it’s all snow.

Undoubtedly a gem of Watcom County & Mt. Baker Wilderness. Incredible how diverse these mountains become throughout each season. Would recommend using caution on the drive up from Dec. - Apr. road can be icy or snowed in.

Went up yesterday, November 8. Perfect day, sunny warm, no wind, only three other people. Snow on upper 3rd of trail, snow on top. Road to trailhead clear and no problem for any vehicle, just slow around some potholes. Saw grouse, used our bot chains coming back down the top third of trail on the icy area then removed them. Perfect place, perfect day. We’ve camped up there before and I love this spot!

Okay, Amazing Hike! FIRST NOTE of concern. The last 45-60 min of the drive to the trailhead is a crater laden road. I drive a SUBARU Legacy and was able to achieve. With a swift yet Surgical Crawl through some of the treachery, it was a piece of cake. SECOND NOTE: the first mile and half or so of the trail is a shaded, steep climb, bring your good hoof! Once out of the bush, it opens to a view that no photo will do justice. Leading me to the THIRD NOTE: Crampons Required!!! Or some type of traction enhancing gizmo, it’s steep and slick in the early hours. Lastly, the “3.5 Mile” distance is more of a guideline....This trail goes on....and on...and on. Have fun! Hopefully this helped someone.

hardest hike so far in my book, but was worth it. medium/hard level.

i have not hiked this yet. my friend and i attempted today. pothole were not bad because it was recently regraded, but i advice all wheel drive because there is now snow starting about 9miles in. we did nit make it up and ended up in a ditch needing to get towed. we were in an equinox with front wheel drive. we are also both originally from florida lol... just something to think about. we will be attempting this on another date with a friend who has a better vehicle for snow

First time I’ve been here, was surprised how good the drive up was, even though about half way started to get a bit of snow. Parking lot was plentiful, and did have a toilet. The trail itself started off really muddy and bit transitioned to snow after kit too long. Amazing views and great hike.

Great hike but be wary of the road to the trailhead! Drove up on 10/12 and the last 4 miles of road were covered in ice and snow. Definitely need a suitable vehicle to make it up. On the way down we saw cars that skidded off the road and had to call tow trucks to get them out...

October 2nd. great hike that is a bit tough for the first 2-2.25 miles until it opens up to the crest of the divide. unfortunately I think I missed the fall colors I was hoping to see. I feel like I missed them by a few days to a week. it was still worth the hike and it is beautiful up there.

It was a fun trail up to the ridge with gorgeous views and fresh snow from the skyline on. I am going to go again and stay the night when I’m more prepared.

Skyline Divide Sept 21 2019. stunning views, beautiful trail, loved it. About 2.5 miles moderate grade through forest to start will get you warmed up for sure. Forest opens up to ridgeline followed by a series of knolls. Views of Baker, Shuksan & Tahoma are spectacular throughout. Fall colours just starting to show. Drive up forestry road is a solid hour slow going dodging big potholes. 4x4 not necessary, could be done with a car but might take some abuse, wouldn't take a car if I had one. Happy hiking!

The trail was hard but beautiful! The long 12 mile road to the trail was horrible! More potholes than road in some place.

I would definitely advise before anyone heads there that there is a 12 MILE road that is not paved. It was 12 miles of potholes! there was no mercy in those 12 miles. once we got to the trail head it is 2.6 miles uphill. I would not recommend it for beginners or anyone that is not experienced with hiking Uphill. after 2.6 we finally got to a flat point which YES had a wonderful view of the mountains, meadows, trees and fog. we decided to climb up the larger hill to get to the summit. which was about 1 mile uphill as well. definitely amazing views even on a rainy and foggy day. just keep in mind for every uphill there is a downhill. I would have given it 5 stars but that 12 mile road was relentless!!!!