Skyline Divide Trail

Skyline Divide Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glacier, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Glacier: Drive east on State Highway 542 for approximately 1 mile, turn right on Forest Service Road #39, Glacier Creek Road. Then turn immediately left onto Forest Service Road #37, Deadhorse Road. Drive approximately 13 miles to the trailhead parking lot.

One of the best hikes I've been on. Amazing views once you reach the ridge. There are several knolls to your right, if you keep pushing through them you come right up to the foothills of baker.

Super fun hike but once you get above the tree line there's very little shade and no streams, at least I couldn't find any, so make sure your pups have lots of water! Saw a bear too which was pretty cool!

This was an awesome hike! We left Everett a little after 6 am on and were on the trail about 8:45. This is a hike that you want to get to early in my opinion. The only ones we saw heading down were the ones that spent the night. When it was our turn to head down there were tons of people. This a great place to explore with all the little knolls and such. We made it to the sixth one at about 11:15 ish and were back at the vehicle by 1:30ish. There were bugs but none of them were biting and I didnt even use bug spray.

Sadly there are so may bad drivers on the road. The downhill vehicle as the right of way where as its the uphill hiker that has the right away with another hiker.

Eclipse day, we hiked through all the knolls. Left trailhead at 5:30 am and saw no one till nearly 8. They were sleeping in tents off the first fork. Ate lunch on the last knoll and then saw a few folks heading up as we went down. Took the dog, it is beautiful up there! No flies until around 10 am and way too many flies on the hike down! Yikes.

I came out to Washington from Vermont to do some hiking in the Northern Cascades. I went to Skyline Divide and only hiked about 1.5 miles before having to turn around due to the flies. It was not enjoyable because in order to not have at least 30 bugs swarming, we had to RUN! I would love to come back and try this hike again, but definitely not in these conditions. Not to mention- the smoke also made visibility very poor.

Amazing trail and great views, except for right now the forest fire smoke is very thick and the horse flys are out en mass.

I have hiked this many times and highly recommend the hike. It's best on a clear day.

The road has been recently been redone and could be suitable for cars, some potholes but passable.

The road is now passable. I didn't enjoy it in my compact car (4 wheel drive or high clearance would have helped), but I made it. The trail is in good condition (in part thanks to some WTA workers this weekend). There are a number of available side trails, some showing on the topo map, some that don't. I enjoyed going around the endpoint shown on this map to the east and south--beautiful meadows and a great view of Mount Baker. The wildflower-filled meadows are a beautiful complement to the icy peak above you.

The trailhead seemed pretty busy--20 cars when I arrived at 9:45 on a Sunday morning and more than 30 when I left at 1:30. Everyone was pretty spread out, though, and the many view points and side trails meant that while it wasn't solitary, it wasn't crowded.

Dog friendly. Lots of flies.

Went up June 25th 2017, thinking road would be clear. Trees are still there making it impossible to reach the trailhead.

Impassable trees are blocking the road six miles before the trailhead :(

Beautiful view of mountains and mountains up there. I could be hike for longer or shorter distance depends on your plan. We finished round trip of 10km in about 4 hours in July.