Sky Country (Cougar Mountain) Trail

Sky Country (Cougar Mountain) Trail is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Renton, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

From Seattle, E on I-90 to exit 13. Right (south) on Lakemont Boulevard S.E for 2.5 miles. Left on SE Cougar Mountain Way, Right on 166th Way S.E. to trailhead at end of gravel road

Beautiful nature jaunt! This was a perfect day/time of year for this trail. The signs were a bit confusing at times, so I recommend having a map or knowing the intersections and names of the trails ahead of time. Definitely dog and kiddo friendly w/light traffic. I will be back with my dogs when in the area again. Great experience!

“Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints.” -Chief Seattle

first hike on the west coast! temperature was great. there are a few stretches of up hill battles. all in all a nice hike with a lot of scenic views throughout the woods. not much of a spot to lookout at other mountains.

Snow on ground on first half of hike, rain/hail/drops from melting snow during second half. Grab the map at the kiosk, so many trail markers and intersections. Lots of trail runners even with snow. Will go back to run trails and go to Calcutta Restaurant at Newcastle golf resort for mimosa flight and real putt putt golf with a view!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Easy hike to help train for more difficult hikes. This is a good place to train a dog as well.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Confusing, so many trail markers. Really need to follow the gps at the forks. Loop was steep going down and coming up. Good hike. About six miles. No views just lush forest. Old man trail, Whittaker, shy bear, and gombu then back.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

4/23/2016 (Saturday) - Group 1:40 to 4:10, 1.5 hour up, 1 hour down, 5 miles, 60F, partly sunny. A cool and dry afternoon. Trails are in good condition, gentle grade. We first go down to Coal Creek Falls, where very little water, then move up to the Wilderness Peak with an elevation gain of 750 ft.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Uphill, that loose gravel almost killed me 4 times, but I blame that on my balance.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Pretty mild terrain. Went in February, very wet. Sunny the day I went. You actually end up on several different short trails. Marked pretty well. I could see houses and main roads though. Did not see anyone else on a weekday morning. Beautiful area.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Although shortened by our propensity to stop and take pictures, we found the trails off the Sky Country Trailhead to be as well-maintained and lovely as the others we've experienced in the wildland park. The runners and hikers were friendly, and for the most part, observant of trail and leash etiquette and rules, and this brief outing's loop - Coyote Creek, Klondike Swamp, By Pass - was very enjoyable, and strengthened our sentiment that this will be a favorite and frequent venue for us.