Your session expired, please sign in again to continue.
For a limited time only, save 30% on a year of AllTrails Pro!
Get Started
Learn more

Siouxon Trail: Upper Siouxon Trailhead is a 21.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Amboy, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 21.9 mi Elevation gain 4,363 ft Route type Out & Back

Waypoints (0)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Trail following Siouxon Creek. Lots of waterfalls! Elevation is 500 ft cumulative; meaning there are very easy ups and downs along the trail. Keep following trail #130 across three bridges and shortly after the last bridge, you'll come to Chinook Falls. Super pretty hike in the midst of heavy canopy along Siouxon Creek. Numerous waterfalls and photo ops at every turn. One stream crossing near Chinook Falls is slippery but doable.

A federal Northwest Forest Pass is required to park here

Gifford Pinchot National Forest Mount Adams Ranger District 2455 Highway 141 Trout Lake, WA 98650 Tel: 509.395.3400

From Vancouver, north on I-5 to Highway 503, exit 21. Drive east 45 miles to Pine Creek Information Center. Turn right and continue on Forest Service Road 90 to Northeast Healy Road, in the town of Clehatchie. Turn right and go 10 miles to Forest Service Road 57. Turn left and drive 1.5 miles to Forest Service Road 5701. Turn left and drive 4 miles to the trailhead at the end of the road.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (182)
Photos (628)
Recordings (73)
Completed (468)
Eric Bomblatus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 22, 2020
BackpackingBugs

Trailhead is .7mi once you turn onto Road 5701. It's on a shoulder and easy to miss. You begin on Huffman Peak Trail until an unmarked junction at 1.2mi. Going left (north) continues the trail, straight takes you another 2mi to the Lower Siouxon trailhead. I continued on Huffman. At just .2mi from the junction you will need to cross a small creek. It's not deep, about 2ft. After crossing, it's 5mi up the trail. The elevation is gradual. Note there are no water sources on this section. You go through beautiful old growth forests. Near the top of the peak (the trail is below), you'll enjoy sweeping views of Mt. Saint Helens and Calamity Peak. Eventually you reach the junction at the Wildcat Trail. This is where the fun begins. Take a right (south) to hike down 2.3 miles. It's very steep so take caution. Again, there are no water sources on this section. At the end, you will be rewarded with a stunning view of Wildcat Falls. From here, you have a few options. I continued east, crossing a log bridge for another mile to Chinook Falls where I setup camp. It's a perfect place to take a dip in the cool waters. The next day, I looped past Chinook Falls and took Siouxon Trail for 7mi back to the Huffman Peak trailhead. The elevation gain is minimal. There are plenty of water sources on this leg. You'll go through enchanting forests and there are a couple waterfalls to see. This is a solid backpacking trip you can do in 1 or 2 days.

Bonnie Brumbaugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 17, 2020
HikingMuddyOver grown

Did the whole out-and-back for a 2 night backpacking weekend trip with my partner! We started at the Upper Trailhead early Friday morning, encountering nobody until we came to the lower Trailhead, where we passed tons of people (masked & unmasked) dayhiking to Chinook. Crowds fell off where Siouxon trail branches towards Chinook/Wildcat falls. Even with an early start, all the campsites were full except for the very last one, about .5 miles past the Calamity Creek crossing! If you seek solitude, aim for this spot. Most sites had campfire rings, but unfortunately the ones close to trailheads had some garbage laying around. :( The trail is beautiful, and truly does feel like a "magical forest" with dappled light, waterfalls both big and small, fern gullies, and a forest floor filled with fallen giants, fluffy moss & big clovers. Almost the entire trail is shaded, and there are some beautiful rest spots to take in waterfalls. I saw tons of huckleberries, salmonberries, and blueberries (mostly picked through). Elevation is a steady rise/fall until the end of the trail, where you go straight up to end at a forest road. You could probably skip this part unless you want to stargaze (we hiked up to a tree clearing to try and catch a glimpse of the comet!), or lot some elevation. Overall, beautiful hike that I would do again, but likely as a day hike and on a weekday to avoid CV crowds.

View Bonnie's Recording
Karina Ah Yek
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 14, 2020
Great!

I just completed a portion of this trail for my first backpacking trip and had a great experience! We started at the upper trailhead and passed several streams, two well maintained bridges and a couple waterfalls before ending at Chinook Falls about 5.5 miles in. Several established campsites to camp at either at Chinook Falls or at Siouxon Falls. We stayed one night and turned around the next day. Lots of ups and downs on the trail - like a roller coaster. It truly is "uphill both ways" haha! But not too much incline at once which is great for a new backpacker! Returning on day two back to the trailhead I had to take several breaks because it's four or so switchbacks uphill and the steeper of the elevation gains. If I were to do this trail again, I would start at the lower trailhead. especially if you are new to hiking or backpacking. I would also recommend bringing trekking poles for the couple stream crossings.

Geniece Brown
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 25, 2020
Hiking

One of our all-time favorite hikes. Lovely river walk and multiple falls. We will go back again and again. Well worth the miles and miles of pot holes and sunken road. Beware!

beth thorstenson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 2, 2020

Add 2.2

View beth's Recording
Love Brandi
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 21, 2020
HikingBlowdownOver grownRockyWashed out

I did this trail a few months ago (March 2020) and it was so gorgeous. This is my favorite hike to date. I felt like I was in an enchanted forest. This is a must do trail. Lots of tree cover which was nice. The road leading to this trail is awful. You def. want to bring a truck when you are headed here. The road is very much in need of repair, with huge pothole, overgrown foliage, and it becomes a single lane road with parts of the road with little room to pull over to allow another vehicle to pass. Something to note: you are able to hike in and camp here for free! So many beautiful spots to camp along the river or next to the waterfall. There is NO BATHROOMS, or water, so bring what you need and pack it all out. There are no lights, or light post leading up to this trail, so leave early enough where there is still light. It will get very dark because of all the canopy from the forrest. Well worth the rough road to get here though!

Karen Schaan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 3, 2020
HikingMuddySnow

This review is for the upper trail starting at the hairpin turn about 3 miles prior to the trailhead parking (end of road). We went on 2/3/2020 and it had snowed the night before. Our goal was to go to the parking lot and take the trail starting there towards the waterfall but since the road to the trailhead was covered in snow and started to get icy we decided to park at the top of the hill right before the hairpin turn. We had planned to hike the road but then found the start of the upper trail so we hiked the trail. There were several stream crossings and a few down trees but overall was a nice pleasant hike. This portion isn't near the river. We hiked the road back to our car and there were some surprisingly big and beautiful waterfalls along the road.

Sam Stevens
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 14, 2019
Hiking

Perfect trail for a beginner backpacking trip or day hike! We got lucky with weather in mid-October and had a dry weekend. No bugs. Lots of great options for camping if you’re willing to hike in. We loved the scenery, and if you start early, you can have the trail to yourself for a while!

DeeperStill 4Jesus
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 3, 2019
Hiking

Sept. 3 2019, arrived at the trailhead early. There was no foot traffic on the trail all the way out to Chinook falls (after the third bridge),but a couple tents were seen but quiet. It was perfect, quiet and between the music of the creek and the song of the birds, I couldn’t ask for more. After a short snack break , my return was met with multiple groups of hikers. Clearly, if alone time is what you seek, go early.

Keri Ault
Hiking

Really beautiful trail! Not too crowded at all, even though we were there on a gorgeous holiday (Labor Day) The road up to the trail is deceptively bad, but OK as long as you are paying attention. We didn’t do the entire thing as we needed to be aware of time/ sundown. Those last 2 miles uphill are a little rough after so many miles, but overall no complaints. We will definitely be back!

Kuyler Devine
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 21, 2019
Hiking

Such a beautiful forest valley trail. Plenty of water features to behold and so many great camp sites for those backpacking out like we did. Nothing to hard about this trail just enjoy the forest and maybe hop in the water a few different places. We’ll definitely be coming back soon.

Lizzie Manning
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 17, 2019
Hiking

This is a favorite trail of mine, any time of year! With the beautiful weather yesterday, it was packed with other hikers, campers and people taking dips into the cool pools of water underneath the waterfalls!

Kendra Madrid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 5, 2019
Hiking

An old fav. Wonderful no matter the weather. Shady and easy, lots of waterfalls! And today, lots of wildflowers!!

View Kendra 's Recording
Craig Switalla
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 1, 2019
Hiking

Crazy beautiful! First 3 miles or so are not by the water but very secluded and pretty (3people, 2 deer). The trail goes close to the road and another trailhead at that 3 mile point where most people park. Trail is pretty busy from that point but still amazing. Slept about 7 miles in from my trailhead. Many good camping spots along the route. Round trip took about 6 hours of hiking time. Trail is great, easy to follow until the very end. In fact, I think I turned around a half mile short of where Alltrails said it ends. Seemed like the end to me.

Greg Fink
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 25, 2019
Hiking

Great place to go shooting. Road was repaired last year and in good condition now. Lots of trash and toilet paper along the trail however.

Liz Trupp
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 16, 2019
Hiking

Beautiful trail. One of my most favorites in the Pacific Northwest. Would certainly be nice if the road getting there got fixed, though.

Tony H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 25, 2019
Hiking

Hiked this in mid-April right after the snow levels finally dropped low enough. A two night backpacking trip with a couple buds. The road coming in was pretty rough, but doable in the right vehicle. Small cars beware! Once we got to the trail head, we hiked in the first couple miles and ended up setting up camp just below Horseshoe Creek falls. It was amazing. The waters were raging due to all the snow this year. It was pretty epic and loud. The next day we hiked down the Siouxon Creek trail toward Chinook falls. On the way we hung out at the Siouxon Creek waterfall. That’s a pretty cool spot. A little further past that is a small waterfall and the most perfect swimming hole. The water was a little too rough to try it out, but I bet it’s a money spot in the summer. Chinook falls was worth the hike. A good spot to stop and grab some lunch. It’s about 2 miles from where we camped at Horseshoe Creek falls. The water was too rough to cross and continue on to Wildcat Creek, but we were a bunch of idiots and decided to cross a downed log that appears to be placed there for crossing. It was pretty sketchy but we all made it across. On the other side, you get to a fork in the road where you can go left to Wildcat Creek which had another log bridge to get across. Or you can go right which follows chinook Creek up to the higher elevation ridges. Let’s say that path is no joke. We only went about he first 2.5 miles but it was straight up the entire time. My thighs were screaming that night. This was my first time on this trail and now its one of my favorite hikes. You can make it as easy or challenging as you want depending on how far you go. The easiest parts are in the very beginning of the hike and are also the most beautiful. The first 4 miles is nothing but magical lush green moss covered forest, running waters, and waterfalls. Great for hikes with kids. Or you can make it much more challenging and hike far back into the higher elevation. There are many camp spots along the way. The first few are just a short distance from the trailhead. I think the last of the camp spots are just after the Siouxon creek bridge crossing toward Chinook falls. I’m sure this hike gets busy in the summer time.

Zackary Coleman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 14, 2019
Hiking

What a hike! We started at the upper trailhead / parking lot the which is near switchback in the road, it is three miles from the actual trailhead down at the bottom of the road. We descended into a magical moss covered old growth forest. The section along the river is amazing with plenty of waterfalls and aquamarine swimming holes. Once you cross the creek toward the last 1/3 of the hike is when you start to ascend and really see some elevation gain.

View Zackary's Recording
Jenny Singh-Mott
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 4, 2019
Hiking

The drive to the trailhead was a bit rough. Down trees, lots of bad pot holes and slides, but doable with high clearance vehicle or going nice and slow. We hiked 9miles of the Siouxon Creek trail. We were not able to cross over the creek to Wildcat Falls because the water was running high and fast. This is usually how people get to Wildcat Falls, correct?Anybody?

Miguel Mazon
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 31, 2019
Hiking

we try this one 2 weeks ago. Couldn’t make it all the way due to snow . I’ll be nice for a recent update we really want to do this one.

Erin H.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 19, 2019
HikingSnow

Amazing hike - wish we could have gotten there! The road was all snowed in just about 8 min from the trailhead :/ perhaps things will be melting a bit more over the next few weeks

Jeanna Wardell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 14, 2019

Stunning falls. beautiful clear blue water. pretty easy hike. We had a perfect winter day, not too busy, but I can see where it would be in the summer. Seriously gorgeous though

Jeff Waugh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 9, 2019
Hiking

Amazing beauty with old growth and stunning waterfalls.

Joe G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJanuary 6, 2019

Went today January 5th, saw 4-5 other groups the entire time. Absolutely gorgeous waterfalls. The water was very clear/blue. The forest was covered in moss and everything was very green. The road to the trailhead is pretty bad - lots of potholes - but totally worth it. I hear this trail is very crowded in the summer. I’d highly recommend going in the winter if you want to experience it with less people around.

Christine Heath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 31, 2018
Hiking

Went on a cold rainy December day. Thank goodness for rain gear. It was gorgeous I!! The waterfalls were raging. Have to say this is one of my favorites