User could not be found.

Siouxon Trail: Upper Siouxon Trailhead

moderate(171)
Gifford Pinchot National Forest

Siouxon Trail: Upper Siouxon Trailhead is a 35.2 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Amboy, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 35.2 km Elevation Gain: 1,330 m Route Type: Out & Back

bike touring

Trail following Siouxon Creek. Lots of waterfalls! Elevation is 500 ft cumulative; meaning there are very easy ups and downs along the trail. Keep following trail #130 across three bridges and shortly after the last bridge, you'll come to Chinook Falls. Super pretty hike in the midst of heavy canopy along Siouxon Creek. Numerous waterfalls and photo ops at every turn. One stream crossing near Chinook Falls is slippery but doable.

This review is for the upper trail starting at the hairpin turn about 3 miles prior to the trailhead parking (end of road). We went on 2/3/2020 and it had snowed the night before. Our goal was to go to the parking lot and take the trail starting there towards the waterfall but since the road to the trailhead was covered in snow and started to get icy we decided to park at the top of the hill right before the hairpin turn. We had planned to hike the road but then found the start of the upper trail so we hiked the trail. There were several stream crossings and a few down trees but overall was a nice pleasant hike. This portion isn't near the river. We hiked the road back to our car and there were some surprisingly big and beautiful waterfalls along the road.

Perfect trail for a beginner backpacking trip or day hike! We got lucky with weather in mid-October and had a dry weekend. No bugs. Lots of great options for camping if you’re willing to hike in. We loved the scenery, and if you start early, you can have the trail to yourself for a while!

Sept. 3 2019, arrived at the trailhead early. There was no foot traffic on the trail all the way out to Chinook falls (after the third bridge),but a couple tents were seen but quiet. It was perfect, quiet and between the music of the creek and the song of the birds, I couldn’t ask for more. After a short snack break , my return was met with multiple groups of hikers. Clearly, if alone time is what you seek, go early.

Really beautiful trail! Not too crowded at all, even though we were there on a gorgeous holiday (Labor Day) The road up to the trail is deceptively bad, but OK as long as you are paying attention. We didn’t do the entire thing as we needed to be aware of time/ sundown. Those last 2 miles uphill are a little rough after so many miles, but overall no complaints. We will definitely be back!

Such a beautiful forest valley trail. Plenty of water features to behold and so many great camp sites for those backpacking out like we did. Nothing to hard about this trail just enjoy the forest and maybe hop in the water a few different places. We’ll definitely be coming back soon.

This is a favorite trail of mine, any time of year! With the beautiful weather yesterday, it was packed with other hikers, campers and people taking dips into the cool pools of water underneath the waterfalls!

An old fav. Wonderful no matter the weather. Shady and easy, lots of waterfalls! And today, lots of wildflowers!!

Crazy beautiful! First 3 miles or so are not by the water but very secluded and pretty (3people, 2 deer). The trail goes close to the road and another trailhead at that 3 mile point where most people park. Trail is pretty busy from that point but still amazing. Slept about 7 miles in from my trailhead. Many good camping spots along the route. Round trip took about 6 hours of hiking time. Trail is great, easy to follow until the very end. In fact, I think I turned around a half mile short of where Alltrails said it ends. Seemed like the end to me.

Great place to go shooting. Road was repaired last year and in good condition now. Lots of trash and toilet paper along the trail however.

Beautiful trail. One of my most favorites in the Pacific Northwest. Would certainly be nice if the road getting there got fixed, though.

Hiked this in mid-April right after the snow levels finally dropped low enough. A two night backpacking trip with a couple buds. The road coming in was pretty rough, but doable in the right vehicle. Small cars beware! Once we got to the trail head, we hiked in the first couple miles and ended up setting up camp just below Horseshoe Creek falls. It was amazing. The waters were raging due to all the snow this year. It was pretty epic and loud. The next day we hiked down the Siouxon Creek trail toward Chinook falls. On the way we hung out at the Siouxon Creek waterfall. That’s a pretty cool spot. A little further past that is a small waterfall and the most perfect swimming hole. The water was a little too rough to try it out, but I bet it’s a money spot in the summer. Chinook falls was worth the hike. A good spot to stop and grab some lunch. It’s about 2 miles from where we camped at Horseshoe Creek falls. The water was too rough to cross and continue on to Wildcat Creek, but we were a bunch of idiots and decided to cross a downed log that appears to be placed there for crossing. It was pretty sketchy but we all made it across. On the other side, you get to a fork in the road where you can go left to Wildcat Creek which had another log bridge to get across. Or you can go right which follows chinook Creek up to the higher elevation ridges. Let’s say that path is no joke. We only went about he first 2.5 miles but it was straight up the entire time. My thighs were screaming that night. This was my first time on this trail and now its one of my favorite hikes. You can make it as easy or challenging as you want depending on how far you go. The easiest parts are in the very beginning of the hike and are also the most beautiful. The first 4 miles is nothing but magical lush green moss covered forest, running waters, and waterfalls. Great for hikes with kids. Or you can make it much more challenging and hike far back into the higher elevation. There are many camp spots along the way. The first few are just a short distance from the trailhead. I think the last of the camp spots are just after the Siouxon creek bridge crossing toward Chinook falls. I’m sure this hike gets busy in the summer time.

What a hike! We started at the upper trailhead / parking lot the which is near switchback in the road, it is three miles from the actual trailhead down at the bottom of the road. We descended into a magical moss covered old growth forest. The section along the river is amazing with plenty of waterfalls and aquamarine swimming holes. Once you cross the creek toward the last 1/3 of the hike is when you start to ascend and really see some elevation gain.

The drive to the trailhead was a bit rough. Down trees, lots of bad pot holes and slides, but doable with high clearance vehicle or going nice and slow. We hiked 9miles of the Siouxon Creek trail. We were not able to cross over the creek to Wildcat Falls because the water was running high and fast. This is usually how people get to Wildcat Falls, correct?Anybody?

we try this one 2 weeks ago. Couldn’t make it all the way due to snow . I’ll be nice for a recent update we really want to do this one.

Tue Mar 19 2019

Amazing hike - wish we could have gotten there! The road was all snowed in just about 8 min from the trailhead :/ perhaps things will be melting a bit more over the next few weeks

Mon Jan 14 2019

Stunning falls. beautiful clear blue water. pretty easy hike. We had a perfect winter day, not too busy, but I can see where it would be in the summer. Seriously gorgeous though

Wed Jan 09 2019

Amazing beauty with old growth and stunning waterfalls.

Sun Jan 06 2019

Went today January 5th, saw 4-5 other groups the entire time. Absolutely gorgeous waterfalls. The water was very clear/blue. The forest was covered in moss and everything was very green. The road to the trailhead is pretty bad - lots of potholes - but totally worth it. I hear this trail is very crowded in the summer. I’d highly recommend going in the winter if you want to experience it with less people around.

Mon Dec 31 2018

Went on a cold rainy December day. Thank goodness for rain gear. It was gorgeous I!! The waterfalls were raging. Have to say this is one of my favorites

Sun Nov 25 2018

Gorgeous hike with so many waterfalls! It’s busy because of the beauty and ideal for most hiking skills. Get there early and don’t complain about others wanting to enjoy this spectacular hike. Watch for slippery rocks. But enjoy God’s country!

Mon Oct 01 2018

Beautiful trail to backpack in the fall. The leaves are vibrant and less people on the trail!

Tue Sep 25 2018

Great Trail..

Sun Sep 16 2018

lots of people but great entry level backpacking

Fri Jul 20 2018

Love this Hike, it's beautiful no matter how far in you hike. I recommend going all the way to Wildcat Falls if you have the time.

Sun Jul 15 2018

Really nicely maintained trail. Parking at the trail head is crazy and please be a good human being and buy a northwest forest pass. Awesome waterfalls.

Tue Jun 26 2018

My husband and I hiked about half of this trail. We came from the upper trail head to Chinook Falls and back. The first 3 miles was through beautiful forest but didn't change much. We started late on Friday and got a very nice camping spot right on the creek about 4 miles in. The next day we hikes to the falls and WOW! Beautiful scenery all the way around! Great waterfalls along the trail which we loved! We were going to stay a second night but our summer sleeping bags weren't quite warm enough, so we decided to make the trek back. Our second day hiking I feel like we over did it a bit but we survived lol. The trail was heavily trafficked and there was some people who had no camp/backpacking etiquette we stopped at a site where we considered camping for the second night and we are making our lunch and eating and have all of our stuff out and some people just walked right into our campsite to use our access point to the creek didn't say anything to us at all. Which my husband and I thought was weird and rude. Bottom line beautiful hike would recommend- also don't go into someone else's campsite that's just not cool.

Sun Jun 10 2018

Went on a multi-family day hike Satruday from the main TH to Chinook Falls. 3 adults (ages 38,40,62), 8 kids (ages 7,8,8,10,11,13,14,14) and 3 dogs (1 lab, 2 small ones). The road up is in relatively excellent shape. We took an Excursion 4x4 and Highlander 4x4 and had no problems with the busted up paved roads. The forecast called for heavy rains but those came on Friday and Sunday. Even with the heavy rain the day before, the trail was in amazing shape. We say a few people camping, but the majority of the camp sites were open, probably due to the foretasted rain. 8.7 miles total out and back from TH to Chinook Falls. This is a must hike if you live in SW WA or even NW Oregon. Remember, it does require a NW Forest Pass, $5 day e-pass can be purchased online and printed, that's what we did.

Tue May 22 2018

I did about 9 miles of this trail (out and back) and it was amazing! Lots of waterfalls, lots of places to climb around the waterfalls and lots of little swimming holes if it's warm enough. The trail was not very hard at all just kinda meanders with no crazy elevation gains. Will definitely take people back here.

Mon May 21 2018

Beautiful, crystal clear water!