Siouxon Trail: Siouxon Trailhead is a 8.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Amboy, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and backpacking and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length8.7 miElevation gain2,076 ftRoute typeOut & back
Dogs on leashBackpackingHikingRunningForestRiverWaterfallWildlife
Description
Waypoints (3)

FIRE CLOSURE: As of Sept 9, 2020, this trail is closed due to the Big Hollow Fire Closure. For more information, please see https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd801773.pdf

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (419)
Photos (773)
Recordings (382)
Completed (868)
Doug Hecker
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 25, 2021

It’s closed.

Kimberly Zwirlein
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarMarch 13, 2021
View Kimberly's Recording
Lucinda Perkins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 31, 2020
View Lucinda's Recording
Taylor Anderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 24, 2020
HikingClosed

One of the coolest hikes in in NW, very underhyped, was there the day of the fire and turned around because it was getting so smoky. Hope it is able to be reopened soon, probably good for the land to get a break from all the traffic anyway.

Randall Sewell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 21, 2020
HikingClosed

The road to Siouxon is closed about 9 miles from the trailhead as of 10/16

Heather Colburn
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 27, 2020
Backpacking

I had the utmost pleasure to hike and backpack here about 30 days ago. It was one of my most favorite backpacking trips I have ever done. To be around such beauty with forests and mountains and the WATER and waterfalls galore. This area is not well advertised for how truly beautiful it is which was part of its charm. Which is why I write this review! I am just heartbroken the fires have ripped through here. It actually had me a bit crying. I have not seen the devastation just photos and news articles. If what they say is true it is too bad it could not be saved. Same with Opal Creek in OR. The fires have ruined these beautiful areas. I hope they can be restored soon.

Paul Kysar
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 20, 2020
Backpacking

The area is mostly burnt up. The Big Hollow fire tore through Siouxon Creek.

Natasha Erickson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2020
Nature trips

Easy terrain, gorgeous views!

Morgan Brackett
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 8, 2020
Hiking

SO BEAUTIFUL. Was a very easy to follow trail and had so many beautiful views along the way! Would definitely do this one again!!

Kelly Neill
HikingGreat!

Great hike at Siouxon Creek today - even with smokey haze and lots of people. Some human waste/tp left here and there which was not awesome - people pack it out or bury it deep - but otherwise lovely hike with lots of options for swimming in the crystal clear water.

Garrett Peck
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
Nature trips

Did the falls at Chinook Creek last month, took a picnic into wildcat falls for the day! So fun!

View Garrett's Recording
Diamond R
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 6, 2020
Hiking

Trail was great. I would consider this to be more easy than moderate. Unfortunately all camping spots were taken so we had to pack out in the dark. No bugs, and it was beautiful. Our big agnes sleeping pad fell off our pack. If you found it please let me know. I will pay to have it mailed back to us.

Kyle Curtis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 6, 2020
View Kyle's Recording
Tammy Rosecrans
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 5, 2020
Hiking

Awesome trail, plenty of places to camp or swim in crystal waters. However, we had a really difficult time finding the trailhead. Don’t trust Google maps to Siouxon Trailhead - took us to a highly restricted road with security cameras and signs for authorized vehicles only.

View Tammy's Recording
Diane Kintrea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 5, 2020
Hiking

The trail is awesome but I think it’s useful to let people know that the road in has some very rough spots. It took us about 45 minutes to drive the last 9 miles.Deciding which part of the 6 to 8 inch cliff of asphalt to drive over can be very nerve-racking in a regular little car.

Don McCoy
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
Hiking

Lots of people, even on a weekday.

View Don's Recording
Alex Lamberty
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2020
Camping

Second time camping at Siouxon Creek. So far each time has been awesome. The swimming holes are beyond perfect, camping is as basic or as secluded as you can find. I’d say the traffic is heavy (mostly due to Covid I’d assume), but the only noise you could hear was from the creek- which provided a lovely nighttime soundtrack. Easy to get to, no cell service, and all around perfect hike.

Luci Charlton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 31, 2020
RunningGreat!

Easy, beautiful trail for a run. Went out 5 mi for a total of 10 RT. Lots of people on a Sunday morning but once you get out to about 2.5 mi in, it is a lot less busy.

Frank Kent
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 30, 2020
View Frank's Recording
James Rideout
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 25, 2020
View James's Recording
Eric Duran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
HikingBugsGreat!

Beautiful trail. I did a quick trip but I can't wait to camp here. Bring some bug spray. Other than that the only thing you need to worry about, like others have said, the road about 20 min nearing the trailhead has some massive potholes and sudden drops. The problem is that for the most part it's nicely paved, so it's easy to drive fast and then the holes sneak up on you, so drive slower than you think you need to. also it gets narrow in parts and you should be careful of oncoming traffic.

View Eric's Recording
melanie bradford
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 22, 2020
View melanie's Recording
Jasmin Vu
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 18, 2020
HikingGreat!

Did w 5 kids-ages 5-9y and 1 adult. All able to do w/o issue. Not too busy Monday afternoon. Def kid friendly.

Adrienne Keeney
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 17, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trail is lovely and I love that it follows the water for almost constant gorgeous views. The "heavily trafficked" label is correct, there were far too many people out when we arrived at 7AM! Parking was already nuts. Most were considerate and kept their masks on. The larger issue was hikers NOT leashing their dogs. Numerous times different dogs ran up to me! It was more annoying than anything else, but would be an issue with other antisocial dogs or people with a fear of dogs. Trail itself was lovely. Only complaint is the amount of irresponsible people on it. Found several masks just thrown all over the trail.

Lima Sierra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 16, 2020
HikingGreat!

The trails are easy to follow and well maintained. Beautiful views along all the way. Definitely going back.

NaTosha Harkness
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 11, 2020
View NaTosha's Recording
Peter Hays
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 10, 2020
View Peter's Recording
Elliot Townley
BackpackingGreat!

Did my first solo backpacking trip here, and it was gorgeous! I loved getting to hike all along the river and the nurse logs & ferns are amazing! SAFETY WARNING: I was in Friday, Aug 7th - Sun, Aug 9th. When I got back to my car someone had spraypainted all along the side of it. Another group said their tires had been slashed. On the road down was white supremacist graffiti. I really enjoyed the hike but wanted to warn folks, especially if your vehicle has any stickers or obvious affiliations to social justice or oppressed identities.

Ashley Lopez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 9, 2020
Backpacking

*Backpacking Review* I chose this trail (Siouxon Trailhead to Chinook Falls) as my first backpacking trip since it was on the shorter side ~ 8 miles RT. What an awesome decision I made! The entire length of the trip is spent hiking alongside a creek and many waterfalls. This trail has been said to be crowded, but I honestly didn’t think it was that bad! Yes the road going into the site is TERRIBLE and is one-lane on a ridge, for about 15 minutes or so. I was a little stressed but made it was okay! On the one-lane road (w few pullouts), we encountered two cars going in and about five cars coming out (Sunday at 12:30pm). Since this was my first time backpacking, I was very concerned about where we can camp/if there would be room for us to camp since everyone says this trail is so crowded. We did our best to get an early start but didn’t make it to the trailhead until 11:30am on a Saturday. I was very skeptical we would find a site near Chinook Falls but wanted to go all the way anyway just for the mileage. There were MANY people camping within the first few miles since there are a lot of flat/cleared out spaces to camp, pretty much along the whole trail. We figured if we didn’t find a site at the end, we could always turn back and stay somewhere closer to the trailhead. We found a spot near Chinook Falls and didn’t reach the site until ~2pm. There were two other parties who backpacked in right behind us. I loved staying here because anywhere you camp, you are surrounded by water. What a lovely trip to start my backpacking exploring. Thankful for all of these reviews that made planning easier on me.