Silver Star Trail

Silver Star Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

snowboarding

Directions from Yacolt: Travel southeast on NE Railroad Avenue for 2.4 miles to NE Sunset Falls Road. Follow NE Sunset Falls Road to the forest boundary. At the boundary, pick up Forest Route 41. Take 41 south to Forest Route 4109. Route 4109 ends the trailhead. Many directions from Battleground are inaccurate. Type in these coordinates into google maps or your iPhone and you'll get there: 45.7673, -122.2433 Please note: you will need a vehicle with clearance.

Spectacular trail and views! I started at 5 am and took Ed's trail coming in and WOW. Every ridge and small switchback something stunning was waiting. Ed's trail was fun! Slightly technical with some climbing and tight spaces but it was a welcomed change to the norm of just walk-in walk-out. Any SUV could make it. May pop a tire if they're factory/road tires. I wouldn't go without all terrains on. Divets seem intimidating but just slowly cruise over them from an angle and you'll be okay. Slow is key!

Visited this past Saturday (8/26/17). This trail is awesome. Not really covered, so bring some sunscreen. But if you get to the summit there are incredible views!!!

As others have mentioned, the road to the top (last two miles) is .... ROUGH. HEED THIS WARNING!

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with AWD and I made it up about .3 of the last 2 mile stretch before we just parked and walked the rest of the way (1.7mi to the parking lot, 2.5 mi to the summit). Seriously, unless you have a big truck or Jeep with MORE than regular SUV clearance, you may not be able to make it to the top.

That being said, I probably COULD have made it to the top. I did see a Subaru Forester when I got to the parking lot which has arguably less clearance than my car, but it's going to be a heck of a ride and you could easily get stuck, blow a tire, etc. I just didn't want to risk it.

Essentially what I'm saying is if you don't have a truck or SUV with lots of clearance, you may be walking to the parking lot. As I said, there are some BIG divets about .3 miles in on the last stretch that might get you--there were at least a handful of cars here when we got back from the top.

Beautiful hike! but the 4109 "road" to the trail head is really really bad, it's basicly washed out and will be inaccessible soon. Apparently none of the funds from the discovery passes will be used to fix this road to a very popular trailhead.

Very steep, and the rocks are very unstable throughout parts of the trail. absolute gorgeous views though!

Views were amazing, pretty easy hike, easy for dogs too. Road going up is very bad, last 2 miles have a high clearance 4wd or awd car. We had a lifted jeep and had fun going up. Road is a logging road so very compact gravel which is very rough

Honestly one of the best hikes you can do. I've hiked all over the PNW and this is one of my favorites. The road to get to the trailhead is worse then Abiqua Falls if that puts it in perspective. Need a high clearance 4x4

My new favorite. The wildflowers, multiple mountain views and combination of sun and shade make this an amazing hike. Definitely need a vehicle with clearance to make it up the road. If the road wasn't so bad I would do this every month.

You definitely need a 4 wheel drive to get to the Trail head. The erosion on the non paved access was unbelievable the last 2.5 miles up. Once at the Trail head,we ended up walking our bikes up the old keep access road that was filled with 6" 8" 12" 15" very sharp quarried filler rocks. I wouldn't call this a bike Trail at all. The territorial view from 2 miles up was pretty spectacular.
For a day hike this Trail could be fun for a medium level type Trail.

This is my favorite hike I've ever been on. The drive up is rough and long but completely worth it!!

Highly recommend the hike as it was absolutely gorgeous. However, the road to the trail head was so rough I would not happily go back anytime soon.

The kids loved the small pile of snow.

Beautiful day, lots of amazing views. Will have to do it again.