Silver Star Trail

Silver Star Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

Directions from Yacolt: Travel southeast on NE Railroad Avenue for 2.4 miles to NE Sunset Falls Road. Follow NE Sunset Falls Road to the forest boundary. At the boundary, pick up Forest Route 41. Take 41 south to Forest Route 4109. Route 4109 ends the trailhead. Many directions from Battleground are inaccurate. Type in these coordinates into google maps or your iPhone and you'll get there: 45.7673, -122.2433 Please note: you will need a vehicle with clearance.

off road driving

We have a newer Outback, and we made it all the way to the top. Granted it was a slow drive, but the car didn’t budge once. Any 4x4 Truck, SUV or even Subaru will make it up just fine. For the rest, the road is not suitable.
The view is beautiful though, and I loved the drive up there just as much. Don’t go if your not adventurous type.

View at the top was unbelievable. Hike was strenuous: it felt like we would never stop climbing

Be aware of this road in spring! The first 6 miles of the road is all right, but once you’re on the side-road on the way to Silver Star, you’ll be second guessing yourself. Beware! This road is incredibly dangerous for most vehicles and persons not familiar with off-road driving.

Incredible experience. bring a jeep, lifted suv, or large truck. it's no joke

I have been up to this trail a couple times in January 2018. Most recent is January 21st.

Let's start with the road. I read many reviews and thought, okay, you people can't get your Honda up there or something, it probably isn't that bad. Boy... Was I wrong! I have a Ram 1500 Rebel which is an off-road truck and there are some spots where it challenges the clearance. I also went up there with a friend who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk and the road was barely passable and at two points we had the Grand Cherokee on three wheels, and this was trying to keep from the worst stuff.
Right now the snow is really wet and slippery on the road near the parking lot and one corner is pretty bad and you will slip down and fall into a pretty big rut.
Long story short, you need a off-road capable vehicle. I would not take a cross-over, Subaru, etc. kind of vehicle up here until the road is graded again. An SUV with good ground clearance, like a Trail Hawk that can raise the ride height or a full-size truck with 4WD or AWD.

Okay, on to the hike though.
The hike is a pretty steep grade during parts, but the trails are well maintained and the views are impressive on a clear day! There are some cliffs near the trails, but nothing immediately close, but if you have kids/dogs, you may want to stay aware. Overall, well worth the effort and a great place to be!

Great trail, but it was crazy windy and cold the day I went! The views are really great along the way and at the top. I will have to go back and explore more of the trails connecting to the silver star on a warmer day. Also the road about 2.5 miles before the trail is ROUGH! deep trenches, rocks and pot holes. I made it with my Trooper, but I'd be worried with a low clearance vehicle. Just be aware

Spectacular trail and views! I started at 5 am and took Ed's trail coming in and WOW. Every ridge and small switchback something stunning was waiting. Ed's trail was fun! Slightly technical with some climbing and tight spaces but it was a welcomed change to the norm of just walk-in walk-out. Any SUV could make it. May pop a tire if they're factory/road tires. I wouldn't go without all terrains on. Divets seem intimidating but just slowly cruise over them from an angle and you'll be okay. Slow is key!

Visited this past Saturday (8/26/17). This trail is awesome. Not really covered, so bring some sunscreen. But if you get to the summit there are incredible views!!!

As others have mentioned, the road to the top (last two miles) is .... ROUGH. HEED THIS WARNING!

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with AWD and I made it up about .3 of the last 2 mile stretch before we just parked and walked the rest of the way (1.7mi to the parking lot, 2.5 mi to the summit). Seriously, unless you have a big truck or Jeep with MORE than regular SUV clearance, you may not be able to make it to the top.

That being said, I probably COULD have made it to the top. I did see a Subaru Forester when I got to the parking lot which has arguably less clearance than my car, but it's going to be a heck of a ride and you could easily get stuck, blow a tire, etc. I just didn't want to risk it.

Essentially what I'm saying is if you don't have a truck or SUV with lots of clearance, you may be walking to the parking lot. As I said, there are some BIG divets about .3 miles in on the last stretch that might get you--there were at least a handful of cars here when we got back from the top.

Beautiful hike! but the 4109 "road" to the trail head is really really bad, it's basicly washed out and will be inaccessible soon. Apparently none of the funds from the discovery passes will be used to fix this road to a very popular trailhead.

Very steep, and the rocks are very unstable throughout parts of the trail. absolute gorgeous views though!

Views were amazing, pretty easy hike, easy for dogs too. Road going up is very bad, last 2 miles have a high clearance 4wd or awd car. We had a lifted jeep and had fun going up. Road is a logging road so very compact gravel which is very rough

Honestly one of the best hikes you can do. I've hiked all over the PNW and this is one of my favorites. The road to get to the trailhead is worse then Abiqua Falls if that puts it in perspective. Need a high clearance 4x4

My new favorite. The wildflowers, multiple mountain views and combination of sun and shade make this an amazing hike. Definitely need a vehicle with clearance to make it up the road. If the road wasn't so bad I would do this every month.

You definitely need a 4 wheel drive to get to the Trail head. The erosion on the non paved access was unbelievable the last 2.5 miles up. Once at the Trail head,we ended up walking our bikes up the old keep access road that was filled with 6" 8" 12" 15" very sharp quarried filler rocks. I wouldn't call this a bike Trail at all. The territorial view from 2 miles up was pretty spectacular.
For a day hike this Trail could be fun for a medium level type Trail.

This is my favorite hike I've ever been on. The drive up is rough and long but completely worth it!!

Highly recommend the hike as it was absolutely gorgeous. However, the road to the trail head was so rough I would not happily go back anytime soon.

The kids loved the small pile of snow.

Beautiful day, lots of amazing views. Will have to do it again.

Easy hike, difficult drive.

one of my favorites

Make sure you've got a rig to get up the last mile or so of road. A few patches of snow on the trail. All the wildflowers are still out.

The best hike my family and I did in the region so far. Absolutly breathtaking View. Look like switzerland, bring your St bernard( giggels) .
the Rode to get there is best for a jeep like vehicule!

Great outing, road could use some help

As other reviewers have said the road going up the trail head is pretty rough. Big ruts and lots of bumps. You'll need something with clearance and 4WD/AWD. Also watch out for low hanging branches; scratched up the side of my card pretty bad.

Other than the road the trail is great. Amazing views of the mountains and when I went there was a nice breeze so it helped to keep cool. Right now there is still snow on the ground near the summit; it isn't too bad, just be aware of it.

Over all the trail is great, I'm giving it 4 stars because the road there was pretty terrible.

First, you definitely need a vehicle with clearance and all wheel drive to get to the trail head. There are some pretty tricky spots on the access road once you are about 2.5 miles in. It's very rocky so make sure you take it a safe speed for your tires. This is one of my favorite hikes because of how exposed it is. Ed's trail offers a more scenic route with a view of the mountains. It is a little bit more of a scramble in some places but gorgeous. As of yesterday, part of the trail was still not traversable due to snow. You can make it just past the rock arch and then double back to rejoin with the main trail and finish the loop.

First off, you NEED a vehicle with clearance to complete the drive to the trailhead. You can get to within a couple of miles of the trail with a smaller car, but it is imperative that you have something that can take a bit of a rough ride to the top. You also need a Discover Pass.

Silver Star Trail is about 4 and a half miles roundtrip. The trail starts off with a pretty steep climb and doesn't offer much reprieve until the end (though there's a few flat places to rest along the way). The terrain was mostly loose rock, and because we went in May, quite a bit of snow close to the top. Be careful with the snow and take your time during this part.

The view from the top is wonderful, and it's absolutely worth the trek. Be careful on the way down with the snow and the loose rocks that follow immediately after.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Hiked 5/20/17

Monday, February 20, 2017

attempted this hike 2/18/2017 the snow levels are very high 2 miles before beginning of trail head. suggest waiting until spring to hike the trail.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

the trail puts a boot up your assistance right from the start, but the view at the end is by far the best I've found for a novice hiker

Monday, January 02, 2017

Camped at right near the top of silverstar this New Years weekend. The trails are non existent, covered with snow and ice. I do not recommend for anyone unfamiliar with the trail this time of year. All in all it was a great trip