Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail

Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Washougal, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Silver Star mountain is one of Southern Washington's most exciting summits with views to nearly every local cascade peak. This trail takes the "moderate" way up coming from the South with nearly twice the elevation gain of the traditional route but still much shorter than some of the extended loops. At over 4,000' in elevation, Silver Star Mountain gives views unreviled by nearly anything else in the Columbia River Gorge save perhaps for Larch Mountain's summit. The hike to the top can be made a number of different ways -- all starting considerably high up the mountain via dirt access roads. The Grouse Vista trailhead is located on the south side of the mountain outside of Washington's Washougal and takes just over an hour to reach from downtown Portland. This trail takes a slightly longer (6.0 vs 5.4 R/T) course than the typical route and adds another 800+ feet of elevation gain through it. The result is smaller crowds (though certainly not empty) and many up-close features as you pass under and then behind Pyramid Rock on the way up. Be prepared to encounter some snow, even in early summer. Poles are helpful on this journey, as well. NOTE: A Discovery Pass and $12 parking fee are required to park. To access the trail take the trail, opposite the welcome sign.

Hiked 1-30-19. Was hoping for a less treed hike but still had some nice open country. Amazing views at the top! Could see all 5 mountains! Would rate this hike as moderate. Nice incline for the first mile or so and then evens out. Still enough to keep your heart rate up tho. Didn’t use micro spikes on the way up ( Nike free plus poles) but would have been a slippery trail on the way down without them.

recorded Recording - Jan 28, 05:35 PM

packed snow. spikes a must. super windy.

This trail was great!! Once we got to the trailhead it became sunny which made for a spectacular hike! We went around toward the giant rock to get a good view of mt hood and then met back up with the original trail. It was pretty snowy but still manageable. Views are absolutely stunning at the top. Try to shoot for a clear blue sky day!

private property

It's one of my favorite training Runs

Good New Year’s Eve hike, snow was very picturesque!

Steep especially in the beginning, 800 feet elevation in the first mile, I enjoyed the snow about half way up. Was cloudy but could imagine that the view was beautiful at the top, in my list to repeat in the spring.

Got a clear day today 11/12 and it was phenomenal views at the top. With the exception of the first half mile and maybe last half mile (which are steep) the hike is pretty chill. Well worth it on a clear day, def be prepared for wind and dropping temps up top. Happy hiking

The view at the top was SPECTACULAR- we saw all 5 peaks and it was totally worth the hike. Loose gravel and rock for much of the trail- definitely bring your poles. Lots of clear cut in the surrounding hills.

Not a terribly hard hike but the rocky trail makes it a little unsteady.

This trail is hard but worth the effort for the amazing views at the top. Very rocky and steep.

Hiked it today which was a beautiful sunny fall day, there were more people on the trail than I expected, but it was fine.

We did do the backside loop around Pyramid on the way down, there was some bushwhacking at the top end of it but it cleared out and was fine the rest of the way. I’m glad we went that way because we had a southern view and also we cut out a big chunk of steep downhill on the rocks. (Yes the trail is not maintained, but it’s doable)

The end result is amazing. BUT if you don’t like the first 200 yards of the trail, I’d head straight back to the car. The trail itself is a solid constant elevation gain but the rocks are killers. Maybe I didn’t have the right mindset starting out

MAKE. SURE. YOU. HAVE. A. DISCOVERY. PASS. prior to leaving for this hike. The road to the trailhead is unforgiving if you don’t have a 4x4 vehicle or maybe a Subaru or the like. Upon reaching the trailhead, we noticed the signs requiring a discovery pass, yet there was nowhere to obtain one locally, not even a fee drop box. Luckily, we had just enough cell phone service to obtain one online and leave the info on a piece of paper that we left on the dash. 3 vehicles had tickets on them when we got there. The trail itself is steep and very rocky, so much care must be taken not to break an ankle or fall. Make sure you bring a headlamp if you may end up doing part of it in the dark. The views are INCREDIBLE at the top. Well worth the hassle to get up there. I agree with the hard rating. I have done some tough hikes, and this was taxing, but awesome overall. DO IT.

Did this in the afternoon. There was a slight chance of rain but thankfully it held up. Sun shined down which made for some really nice picture opportunities with the fall colors. Even saw a big boar black bear over by Ed's trail from the summit, may want to carry bear spray just in case! If you want to catch the fall colors I'd get up there as soon as possible. Overall, it was a great trip only 2-4 other people that I saw on the trail.

Without a doubt one of the most breathtaking hikes I've ever done. The views from the top are absolutely incredible. Completed it with my wife and our friend yesterday morning, and Fall is in full swing. Gorgeous colors all around. Strenuous going up, and slightly harder (for me anyways) going down because of all the rocks. Slow and steady and it was fine.

Ok, let me start by saying this hike is hard but totally worth it. Absolutely amazing 360 degree views of 5 Cascade peaks. The views from the top make up for the steep, rocky, uneven trail you have to navigate to get there. Pick a clear sunny day, and I would take trekking poles and sturdy shoes for sure. If you have any balance, ankle or knee issues, this is not the trail for you. Also wanted to mention that according to the all trails map, there is a section of trail that goes around the east side of Pyramid Rock and connects back to the main trail. We tried to take this on our way back down to make a lollipop loop but the trail very quickly vanished into the brush. We bushwhacked for a while to see if the trail cleared out again but it disappeared and we had to backtrack. We didn’t investigate the trail from the south junction, only the north, but it’s definitely not a viable trail option. Keep this one as an out and back. :)

Such an amazing reward at the top of this steep and super rocky trail. It is incredibly uneven and can be slow going at spots but gorgeous and worth it.

One of the best viewpoints around. Smoky time of year, but when we reached summit of Silver Star, we had clear views above the smoke layer of St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, Hood, and a bit of Jefferson. Lots of trail offshoots - use the map. We extended our hike to include scramble up Sturgeon Rock (awesome) then a loop back via Tarbell Trail. Warning on Tarbell - new logging roads have been cut through trail...again, use map w/Phone/GPS and you’ll find trail. Also, after parking at Grouse Vista, trailhead starts *across* parking lot from pit toilet (not the other way, which is continuation of Tarbell).

Beautiful hike that’s not too crowded. We hiked it on a partly cloudy day and the views were still super pretty. If you don’t have an 4 wheel/AWD car I wouldn’t recommend it. I didn’t feel comfortable driving my car over the bridge at the bottom so we parked and hiked to the trailhead for extra 4 miles each way. Worth it though!

Great spot, not crowded, a little too smokey for any views this time, but Ill be going back on a clear day!

still killer views even though we couldn't see the mountains this time through the smoke. one of my top favorites. this trail is hard on dog paws.

Great view at the top! Fairly steep on the last half and if you ignore most of the trails off the main trail it’s fairly easy to stay on track to the top. Turning right at the pile of rocks at the fork keeps you on the main trail. Lots of water in the summer, sturdy hiking boots and wouldn’t recommend taking dogs in the summer.

As some of the others noted any car can probably make it, but AWD or larger vehicle would be better if you have the option. Trail has some long rocky/gravel stretches but one of the BEST views from the top on a clear day.

Gravel road with occasional potholes for the last 5 miles. The trail is fairly steep with tons of rocks but relatively easy if you go at a moderate pace. Amazing view at the top with all five mountains visible.

Bring bug spray if you don’t like flies diving into you.

One of the best views I have seen so far. In around 120 degree , we can see 5 mountains, and if weather and luck permits, we can see sisters mountain too.
It was like a mountain view overload. Definitely recommend to anyone who wants to have a spectacular view of oregon/washington mountains.

This is a great hike, amazing views at the top. It is very rocky, and could be hard on your dogs feet, so I recommend putting boots on their feet or leaving them at home.

Lovely trail, pulls at the start. I was in a cloud at the top so missed the views-I’ll try again later this summer. Pretty wildflowers.

May be hard, but the view is totally worth it :) Will be doing again at some point and taking the other trails!

Compared to the Ed’s trail loop, this one is very steep and in the trees a lot without the speculator view. View at the top of the mountain is so gorgeous and would worth it and any car can access this TH. I don’t have a truck so didn’t have a choice this time but if I come with a friend with truck, I’ll start at the other TH. That being said, lots paint brush and fox grove are blooming in the open area and it was very pretty. How quiet it is also a bonus point for me

Amazing views!! The road up there gets rocky the last 5 or so miles but can be accessed by any vehicle. The trail itself is a bit rocky but with the right shoes, is perfectly fine. Definitely a bit challenging if you aren’t in hiking shape but the views are to die for! There were some clouds in the sky this day but I could still see 4 mountains. I got to the top at about 5pm which was perfect because I was the only one up there at the time. A few hikers coming up as I was leaving.

I went on a cloudy day which was kinda nice b/c the trail was empty but also meant we didn't get to see the view from the top. Fun hike with some good elevation gain but know that to get to the trailhead there's a four mile stretch of gravel road which kinda sucks. Definitely wanna go back on a clear day!