Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail

Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail is a 6.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Washougal, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

2096 feet

Silver Star mountain is one of Southern Washington's most exciting summits with views to nearly every local cascade peak. This trail takes the "moderate" way up coming from the South with nearly twice the elevation gain of the traditional route but still much shorter than some of the extended loops. At over 4,000' in elevation, Silver Star Mountain gives views unreviled by nearly anything else in the Columbia River Gorge save perhaps for Larch Mountain's summit. The hike to the top can be made a number of different ways -- all starting considerably high up the mountain via dirt access roads. The Grouse Vista trailhead is located on the south side of the mountain outside of Washington's Washougal and takes just over an hour to reach from downtown Portland. This trail takes a slightly longer (6.0 vs 5.4 R/T) course than the typical route and adds another 800+ feet of elevation gain thru it. The result is smaller crowds (though certainly not empty) and many up-close features as you pass under and then behind Pyramid Rock on the way up. NOTE: A Discovery Pass and $12 parking fee are required to park. To access the trail take the trail opposite the welcome sign.

I went on a cloudy day which was kinda nice b/c the trail was empty but also meant we didn't get to see the view from the top. Fun hike with some good elevation gain but know that to get to the trailhead there's a four mile stretch of gravel road which kinda sucks. Definitely wanna go back on a clear day!

hiked memorial day weekend and it was a great workout!! incredible views at the top and a very dramatic entrance. 3 distinct sections... 1 mile up 1 mile where it flattens out then 1 mile really up! it is very rocky which was annoying, poles were helpful. Bring sunscreen parts are very exposed. The drive to the trailhead is perfectly fine, no problems in our small car. (did this trailhead because we were scared of the main one) Ton of people at the top but it was a holiday weekend.

Accurately described as hard hike. The wildflowers were beautiful but cloudy at the top ..... we had a great time

Great hike. The roads are accessible with smaller cars. Make sure you buy your vehicle's Washington Discover Pass online at home and print it because there's no cash payment at the parking lot. The views are amazing with mountain goats and wild cats.

Climbed on 22May2018. A little hazy, but Hood, Adams, St Helens and even Rainier could be seen. The trail can be climbed without touching a bit of snow. This one is a butt cheek burner. No switchbacks. The trail is mostly a corridor of trees with a couple exposed areas, but you'll forget that when you see the view from the top. There were a couple Prius at the trail entrance entrance lot. Given a couple of the wash outs, this surprised me. But this means hope for you if you drive a car as low. Drive slow... Oh! Keep your eyes peeled for the mountain goat at the top. He was low key hanging out on a lower lip, but I was warned he can be quite territorial.

one of the best trail I went, but a lot of snow (hiked on early May), and the trail is steep at the beginning l.
But if you'll do it to the top, the view is amazing. make sure you pick a clear sunny day to hike.

Love it, too early in the year may encounter snow!

What a great hike! Steep and short. Still had a little snow , but nothing to bad. Great view at the top, we hiked through the cloud later and came out to sun and views !

Take the trail across the parking lot from the toilet, not the Tarbell trail next to the toilet. The Tarbell bridge is pretty much in the river and you can’t cross it so the trail is useless.
Hooray for poles!!! If you’ve got them, it’s definitely worth bringing them.
Take a right at the big rock pile when you get closer to the top.
Views of Mt. St. Helens, Rainier, Adams and Hood!
Also, if you’re coming from Portland and don’t have AWD and decent clearance you should opt for the route via Washougal.

Awesome trail with wonderful panoramic views. Climbed it for the first time yesterday (May 12th 2018).

The Good: The trail was a decent first hike of the season. Great weather provided for a great 360 degree view of tge countryside. Would do it again with a friend.

The Bad: Snow and some exposure

The Ugly: I tried a variant where I attempted to loop in Sturgeon Rock and come back via the Tarbell Trail. At this time, DO NOT do this as the lower Tarbell trail is closed to logging.

2018 - May 7

Great hike and pretty physical.

2nd half of trail was still compact snow. Should be melted in 3 weeks give or take. Bring hiking poles.

View was 5/5 - equidistant to St.H/hoot/Adams with great views

Trail was pretty rocky at times, heading back down wasn’t a fun hike for me so 4/5 rating seems schwifty

Great hike. Still a lot of snow on trail, so would like to do it in summer when clear, but gorgeous with the snow overlay!!

I climb it today April 21 I absolutely love the trail 100%

Beautiful hike! I would definitely do it again, but in the summer. My car could only make it within 2 miles of the trailhead, so we walked up the road to get there. We had to stamp through the snow the entire time, which made for an adventure! However, I definitely recommend snowshoes if you hike in the winter months. The views from the top were stunning and made the trudging worth it in the end.

One of my favorite hikes! Done it many times and it's good in any season! Amazing views of Mt St Helen's, Mt Rainier, Mt Adam's, Mt Hood and Mt Bachelor from the top!!

Fun trail. Hiked on 1/20/18. Needed snow shoes to get to the top.

Absolutely stunning views from the top on a clear day!

Headed out early on a Saturday morning in hopes for a sunrise summit; unfortunately mother nature had other intentions. The hike started wet and ended frozen, with snow and slush for a good portion of the hike.
The fall colors were in full bloom and by having snow on the ground we were able to identify animal tracks (cougar, bear, dear).
My only real complaint is that hunters were in the area which left me unsettled while hiking but all in all it was a great hike with lots of uphill and what I'm assuming would be spectacular views on a clear day. Total mileage was 6.7

I tried to do the Loop option about a week ago and was really looking forward to the scramble. Signs warned me that logging companies were at work, but also stated they'd be finished by September 30th (I hiked on October 6th). I naively assumed that they "must" be finished then, and attempted the Loop, but near Sturgeon Rock trees around me started collapsing. The company was still working and clearly didn't see me, so after 2 and a half miles, I had to turn around. I was really bummed but when I got back to the trailhead, I hiked to the mountain anyway. I'm glad I did because even though the Loop was unsuccessful, the out-and-back was stunning enough.

Loved this so much!!

GPS on my phone says this was 10 miles. Loved the views from the top!

It was straight up right from the start. It was hot in the afternoon sun on one other the hottest days of the summer, but the view at the top made it all worth it. There were not many people on the trail, so it was peaceful on the way back down.

Four stars for the wildflowers and views! We did get lost as we tried to follow a loop that showed up on our map, but eventually managed to make our way back to the main trail. Safer to do an out and back since the loop seems to not be followed and I'm guessing the trail has been grown over. The straight up elevation gain from the parking lot is a butt-kicker, but once you're at the top it is an easy trail.

awesome hike with spectacular views. fun ride up but definitely bring the 4x4!

beautiful views on a nice day and if you want some extra excitement check out eds trail

The hike was so beautiful so much to view it would be great to have a picnic at the top, the drive up is not the greatest if you don't have a 4x4 as the holes are big. There was many people shooting and when we were done hiking surprised to find people shooting by the cars. I guess the terrible drive makes for small crowds which is great.

Only okay. Disappointed that the smoke from the wildfires obstructed the views of the mountains at the top. Not much you can do about it, but after 3+ miles and 2100 feet of elevation gain, it was a little bit of a bummer. Be careful going down, as it's rocky and can be slippery. Also, a lot of the hike is covered under the trees- bring your bug spray!

Took advantage of the slightly cooler day and hiked Silver Star with my brother. Due to all the wildfire smoke, the views were a bit diminished at the top but it was still a beautiful hike nonetheless. My only complaints were the lack of signs (you're hoping you are following the correct trail) and the steep decline which is a bit hard of the knees.

Quite challenging but very doable, worth it in the end!