Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail

Silver Star Mountain via Grouse Vista Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Vancouver, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Silver Star mountain is one of Southern Washington's most exciting summits with views to nearly every local cascade peak. This trail takes the "moderate" way up coming from the South with nearly twice the elevation gain of the traditional route but still much shorter than some of the extended loops. At over 4,000' in elevation, Silver Star Mountain gives views unreviled by nearly anything else in the Columbia River Gorge save perhaps for Larch Mountain's summit. The hike to the top can be made a number of different ways -- all starting considerably high up the mountain via dirt access roads. The Grouse Vista trailhead is located on the south side of the mountain outside of Washington's Washougal and takes just over an hour to reach from downtown Portland. This trail takes a slightly longer (6.0 vs 5.4 R/T) course than the typical route and adds another 800+ feet of elevation gain thru it. The result is smaller crowds (though certainly not empty) and many up-close features as you pass under and then behind Pyramid Rock on the way up.

I tried to do the Loop option about a week ago and was really looking forward to the scramble. Signs warned me that logging companies were at work, but also stated they'd be finished by September 30th (I hiked on October 6th). I naively assumed that they "must" be finished then, and attempted the Loop, but near Sturgeon Rock trees around me started collapsing. The company was still working and clearly didn't see me, so after 2 and a half miles, I had to turn around. I was really bummed but when I got back to the trailhead, I hiked to the mountain anyway. I'm glad I did because even though the Loop was unsuccessful, the out-and-back was stunning enough.

Loved this so much!!

GPS on my phone says this was 10 miles. Loved the views from the top!

It was straight up right from the start. It was hot in the afternoon sun on one other the hottest days of the summer, but the view at the top made it all worth it. There were not many people on the trail, so it was peaceful on the way back down.

Four stars for the wildflowers and views! We did get lost as we tried to follow a loop that showed up on our map, but eventually managed to make our way back to the main trail. Safer to do an out and back since the loop seems to not be followed and I'm guessing the trail has been grown over. The straight up elevation gain from the parking lot is a butt-kicker, but once you're at the top it is an easy trail.

awesome hike with spectacular views. fun ride up but definitely bring the 4x4!

beautiful views on a nice day and if you want some extra excitement check out eds trail

The hike was so beautiful so much to view it would be great to have a picnic at the top, the drive up is not the greatest if you don't have a 4x4 as the holes are big. There was many people shooting and when we were done hiking surprised to find people shooting by the cars. I guess the terrible drive makes for small crowds which is great.

Only okay. Disappointed that the smoke from the wildfires obstructed the views of the mountains at the top. Not much you can do about it, but after 3+ miles and 2100 feet of elevation gain, it was a little bit of a bummer. Be careful going down, as it's rocky and can be slippery. Also, a lot of the hike is covered under the trees- bring your bug spray!

Took advantage of the slightly cooler day and hiked Silver Star with my brother. Due to all the wildfire smoke, the views were a bit diminished at the top but it was still a beautiful hike nonetheless. My only complaints were the lack of signs (you're hoping you are following the correct trail) and the steep decline which is a bit hard of the knees.