Silver Star and Ed's Trail Loop

Silver Star and Ed's Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

skiing

PLEASE NOTE: You need a 4x4 vehicle to get up the road. Directions from Yacolt: Travel southeast on NE Railroad Avenue for 2.4 miles to NE Sunset Falls Road. Follow NE Sunset Falls Road to the forest boundary. At the boundary, pick up Forest Route 41. Take 41 south to Forest Route 4109. Route 4109 ends the trailhead. Many directions from Battleground are inaccurate. Type in these coordinates into google maps or your iPhone and you'll get there: 45.7673, -122.2433

The road to the trail head is rough but doable in a stock 4Runner.

Definitely go up Ed’s Trail and come back on the Silver Star path. Breathtaking views of the area.

My daughter was driving her Honda Pilot and was not comfortable with driving up the last 2.4 miles to the trailhead so we parked and walked to the trailhead adding another 4.8 to the overall hike but it was still an amazing hike. I’m pretty sure someone with more experience (and patience) would have been able to make it to the trailhead in her Pilot but she was not about to try. This is the third or fourth time I’ve done this hike but still love it and will probably continue to hike it from time to time.

This is a fantastic hike. Had my dog with me so had to turn around about half way due to steep rock climb. Pretty slippery and would be easy for her or I to lose our footing and it would be a looong fall down. Didn't want to chance it. Will definitely go back without my adventure buddy to do the whole thing. Love that it is difficult to get to so not too many people (relative to other hikes in the area). On way back down the road there were a lot of cars parked on the narrow road making it difficult to get around them on the washouts.

I hiked Silver Star on July 11, 2018. Unfortunately, the road up to the base parking lot is impassable to anything but a jeep or high-centered, four-wheel drive vehicle, so I and a number of others had to park their cars along the road about three miles below the base parking lot, thus extending the hike by about six miles out and pack.

Once on Ed's and the Silver Star trail, the wildflowers were profuse with glacier lilies, cat's eye lilies, paintbrush, red columbine, penstemon, spirea and others. The bear grass had finished blooming, so only a few remote latecomers could be found. The flower fields were awash with butterflies.

The view of the four volcanoes from the beginning of Ed's trail--St. Helens, Rainier, Adams and Hood--were particularly clear after the rainfall of the previous days.

If I go up next year, I'll probably rent a jeep somewhere like Enterprise

What an amazing hike this is! It has now landed a spot in my top 5 PNW day hikes. Went up on Ed’s Trail and came down on the Silver Star Trail. The views were stunning (even on a cloudy day), the wild flowers were amazing, and you can see multiple mountains and the gorge!

The road to the trail head is in horrible condition. There is a ton of wash out and the ruts are pretty deep in some areas. We were in a SUV and in 4WD and I still was uncomfortable driving up and down. I would highly recommend to go in a car with good clearance and 4WD. Take your time driving the road.

I love this hike. So it is possible to access the top with a truck or SUV...or anything with at least a foot of clearance -- but i recommend a 4WD or AWD vehicle. As long as you know how to read the road, you will be fine. I stayed in 2WD up and down, and it was raining pretty hard on the way down. I drive a 98 Ford exploder Sport. If you don't feel safe with this road, go to the Grouse Vista trailhead to Silver star as that road is fine.

The flowers were phenomenal, the views inspiring. Oh yeah, we saw a mountain goat!

Great short, fairly easy hike with excellent views of St. Helens, Rainier, Adams, Hood and Jefferson. You'll walk through fields of wildflowers for most of the hike. Get out there early to beat the crowds. The last 2 miles of FR 4109 are indeed quite difficult. We drove to the trailhead in a Subaru Outback with few problems. but the going was slow and harrowing in a few parts. I wouldn't attempt it without 4 wheel drive and at least 8" of clearance. Consider a skid plate if your clearance is below 12".

Attempted the drive on 6/21. 41 Bridge was closed at the campground. Went up 1100 but couldn’t traverse the washout on 4109 in a Subaru. Another SUV and a Toyota Tundra also failed to get up it. We all decided we’d either pop a tire, get stuck or high center. Take the southern route instead.

Need 4x4 in order to make it to the trailhead for sure. The hike is worth the effort with views of st Hellen’s, Rainer, Adams, and Hood as well as the Portland skyline and the Columbia. Take Ed’s trail only if adventurous and without young children. Otherwise the main trail is a relatively steady climb of 2.5 miles to the top. Wildflowers in the alpine like open trails are amazing in the late spring. The large grain gravel trail can be hard on some dogs paw pads.

attempted to drive up 5/26/18 and the road was so bad it couldn't be crossed by 4x4 vehicles. lots of crowding if incapable cars trying to turn around on the narrow forest roads. beautiful hike, but far too crowded unless you get out early.

off road driving

We have a newer Outback, and we made it all the way to the top. Granted it was a slow drive, but the car didn’t budge once. Any 4x4 Truck, SUV or even Subaru will make it up just fine. For the rest, the road is not suitable.
The view is beautiful though, and I loved the drive up there just as much. Don’t go if your not adventurous type.

View at the top was unbelievable. Hike was strenuous: it felt like we would never stop climbing

Be aware of this road in spring! The first 6 miles of the road is all right, but once you’re on the side-road on the way to Silver Star, you’ll be second guessing yourself. Beware! This road is incredibly dangerous for most vehicles and persons not familiar with off-road driving.

made it all the way but the last 1 mile due to snow. last 2 miles is very rutty. recommend snowshoes but we postholed and made it in others tracks falling through about 1-2 feet+ at times. super duper windy did not summit today but will be back. 3-10-18

incredible hike. you need a jeep, lifted 4x4/AWD SUV, or offroad capable truck for the final 2 miles of road

Incredible experience. bring a jeep, lifted suv, or large truck. it's no joke

I have been up to this trail a couple times in January 2018. Most recent is January 21st.

Let's start with the road. I read many reviews and thought, okay, you people can't get your Honda up there or something, it probably isn't that bad. Boy... Was I wrong! I have a Ram 1500 Rebel which is an off-road truck and there are some spots where it challenges the clearance. I also went up there with a friend who has a Jeep Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk and the road was barely passable and at two points we had the Grand Cherokee on three wheels, and this was trying to keep from the worst stuff.
Right now the snow is really wet and slippery on the road near the parking lot and one corner is pretty bad and you will slip down and fall into a pretty big rut.
Long story short, you need a off-road capable vehicle. I would not take a cross-over, Subaru, etc. kind of vehicle up here until the road is graded again. An SUV with good ground clearance, like a Trail Hawk that can raise the ride height or a full-size truck with 4WD or AWD.

Okay, on to the hike though.
The hike is a pretty steep grade during parts, but the trails are well maintained and the views are impressive on a clear day! There are some cliffs near the trails, but nothing immediately close, but if you have kids/dogs, you may want to stay aware. Overall, well worth the effort and a great place to be!

you will need a high clearance vehicle FR 4109 is in bad shape. we went yesterday and didn't reach summit due to 55 mph winds on the ridge. it was very unpleasant. there were patches of snow along the ridge but nothing impassable. I can't speak for snow at summit as we didn't make it but it didn't look bad from the ridge. I've hiked this before and thought it was a pretty cool hike. probably the best approach to silver star.

Went to do this hike today and had to turn around due to road conditions. The last 10 miles are unpaved road but we’re no problem for my Ford Focus but the final 2.5 miles were too rough and I️ had to turn around. Unfortunately I️ didn’t get to do the hike but thought I’d give everyone a heads up that you’ll need more clearance than a 2013 Ford Focus to get to the trailhead unless you want to park 2.5 miles away and hike to the trailhead

Great trail, but it was crazy windy and cold the day I went! The views are really great along the way and at the top. I will have to go back and explore more of the trails connecting to the silver star on a warmer day. Also the road about 2.5 miles before the trail is ROUGH! deep trenches, rocks and pot holes. I made it with my Trooper, but I'd be worried with a low clearance vehicle. Just be aware

Spectacular trail and views! I started at 5 am and took Ed's trail coming in and WOW. Every ridge and small switchback something stunning was waiting. Ed's trail was fun! Slightly technical with some climbing and tight spaces but it was a welcomed change to the norm of just walk-in walk-out. Any SUV could make it. May pop a tire if they're factory/road tires. I wouldn't go without all terrains on. Divets seem intimidating but just slowly cruise over them from an angle and you'll be okay. Slow is key!

Visited this past Saturday (8/26/17). This trail is awesome. Not really covered, so bring some sunscreen. But if you get to the summit there are incredible views!!!

As others have mentioned, the road to the top (last two miles) is .... ROUGH. HEED THIS WARNING!

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe with AWD and I made it up about .3 of the last 2 mile stretch before we just parked and walked the rest of the way (1.7mi to the parking lot, 2.5 mi to the summit). Seriously, unless you have a big truck or Jeep with MORE than regular SUV clearance, you may not be able to make it to the top.

That being said, I probably COULD have made it to the top. I did see a Subaru Forester when I got to the parking lot which has arguably less clearance than my car, but it's going to be a heck of a ride and you could easily get stuck, blow a tire, etc. I just didn't want to risk it.

Essentially what I'm saying is if you don't have a truck or SUV with lots of clearance, you may be walking to the parking lot. As I said, there are some BIG divets about .3 miles in on the last stretch that might get you--there were at least a handful of cars here when we got back from the top.

Beautiful hike! but the 4109 "road" to the trail head is really really bad, it's basicly washed out and will be inaccessible soon. Apparently none of the funds from the discovery passes will be used to fix this road to a very popular trailhead.

Very steep, and the rocks are very unstable throughout parts of the trail. absolute gorgeous views though!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Views were amazing, pretty easy hike, easy for dogs too. Road going up is very bad, last 2 miles have a high clearance 4wd or awd car. We had a lifted jeep and had fun going up. Road is a logging road so very compact gravel which is very rough

Saturday, August 12, 2017

Honestly one of the best hikes you can do. I've hiked all over the PNW and this is one of my favorites. The road to get to the trailhead is worse then Abiqua Falls if that puts it in perspective. Need a high clearance 4x4

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

My new favorite. The wildflowers, multiple mountain views and combination of sun and shade make this an amazing hike. Definitely need a vehicle with clearance to make it up the road. If the road wasn't so bad I would do this every month.

Sunday, July 30, 2017

You definitely need a 4 wheel drive to get to the Trail head. The erosion on the non paved access was unbelievable the last 2.5 miles up. Once at the Trail head,we ended up walking our bikes up the old keep access road that was filled with 6" 8" 12" 15" very sharp quarried filler rocks. I wouldn't call this a bike Trail at all. The territorial view from 2 miles up was pretty spectacular.
For a day hike this Trail could be fun for a medium level type Trail.