Silver Star and Ed's Trail Loop

Silver Star and Ed's Trail Loop is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,446 feet Route Type: Out & Back

skiing

PLEASE NOTE: You need a 4x4 vehicle to get up the road - there are deep crevices where the road has been washed out, Directions from Yacolt: Travel southeast on NE Railroad Avenue for 2.4 miles to NE Sunset Falls Road. Follow NE Sunset Falls Road to the forest boundary. At the boundary, pick up Forest Route 41. Take 41 south to Forest Route 4109. Route 4109 ends the trailhead. Many directions from Battleground are inaccurate. Type in these coordinates into google maps or your iPhone and you'll get there: 45.7673, -122.2433

Road to the trailhead is worse than the hike. Silver star is moderate with rocky gravel underfoot. Ed’s is a bit tougher with 2 scrambles and single file trail hugging the mountain. Clouds covered Mountain view’s at the top.

Outback made it up no problem, limited slippage, no clearance problems. Sunset was incredible, as was the sunrise.

You need high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle to get to the trailhead. Fantastic hike once you’re there.

Trail was a bit overgrown first half mi but it cleared up to a very rocky path the rest of the way. I agree with all the people about the road. I started up and thought not worth it for my Honda pilot (if I had my Jeep liberty I might've kept going at least for a bit). I'm glad I didn't keep driving because hiking up I saw how terrible it was for non 4 wheel drive or off road type cars. Ended up being 10mi parking at the bottom of the road. Beautiful views and I saw not a human soul on a weekday evening (although a few cars were parked at the trailhead)

Did a backpacking trip up here from the Tarbell and starway trail this weekend. Really beautiful even though most of the flowers are gone. Still green up there with the rain we’ve been having too.

I definitely recommend this trail for an early morning hike! We went later in the day and it was just too hot! We arrived around 1pm and decided to park our 2010 Subaru Forester 2 miles from the trailhead due to the terrible road (reason for subtracting a star). We found a nice spot where it wasn’t blocking the road and backed it in. Those two miles leading up to the trailhead were actually very pleasant because of the shade and breeze. They went by quickly, even though my husband kept saying, “The Subaru could have definitely gone up this” while examining the road. By the time we got to the trailhead, it was very hot and there wasn’t any shade. I was hoping there would be some trees here and there but we might have needed to go further, so please bring tons of water and sunblock! We chose to go up the star mountain trail, which was very narrow and all of the beautiful wildflowers were almost covering the entire path. It wasn’t an issue for me because I had on high socks and hiking boots, but I do get nervous stepping into the unknown. We got to the 3 viewpoints just about a mile up, a tad bit further past where the trail meets with Ed’s trail. We found the closest thing to shade next to some rocks and enjoyed the view of Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams and Mt. Hood. After eating our lunch we decided to head back because our little terrier was with us and we would probably need to carry him. We took Ed’s trail back and realized it was way wider and not overgrown. We will take this trail next time going up! I like hiking side by side of my husband, so I try to avoid the narrow trails! Finally, on the way back to the car we did notice a lot more vehicles who had given up on the road just parked next to it. It makes it very dangerous for those trucks that do go up so please try to park as far off the road as possible if you do change your mind on the road. Don’t block it for those vehicles who want to go to the top!

We've done this trail a couple of times. the trail itself is beautiful! The last time we went was early in June. This is a perfect time if year for wild flowers! They were everywhere!! Such a beautiful array of flowers of every colour. Please heed the warnings about the road leading to the trailhead. unless you have a truck with high clearance you'll want to park about 2 miles down the road. Someone mentioned the road being similar to a washed out riverbed with 2-3 foot deep crevices. That's a fair description! And the road up to the trailhead is a steady incline. The trail itself is a gradual climb and the views are incredible! On a clear day you can see Mt Hood, Mt St Helens, Mt Adams, and Mt Baker. On Really clear days you may even get to see the peak of Rainier.

The road isn't great, but I'm surprised how many believe it's impassable. We made it up in a cross trek no problem. If you're able to put your front tires where you want them and think about how your rear tires will track, you should be able to get up no problem with a little technique and strategy. Don't think you're just going to drive straight up. Instead, you'll be weaving your way up, picking and choosing your path through carefully. But totally doable. The trail itself is amazing, the full loop of it. This is my new favorite hike. I really really want to watch the sunrise from this trail. Many great places to stop, picnic, and take in the views. Wildflowers were still abundant and beautiful.

This road is BAD. The last two miles are foul driving. If you think you might be able to make it. Turn around. They are doing road improvements so give it a year.

Dope

Beautiful hike and views...once you get to the trailhead. It is a long dirt road and the road is washed out about 2 miles before the trailhead. Unless you have a very large truck or off road vehicle you have to park and walk up hill for an extra 2 miles. I have a 4Runner and wasn’t able to make it. After walking uphill 2 miles we hit the trailhead and started the actual hike. It is loose rock, but not difficult. We walked through fields and fields of wildflowers....incredible views along most of the hike. You are able to see Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, Mt Adams, Mt Hood, and Mt Jefferson all in a 360 degree view from the top. Overall, we LOVED this trail, but were not expecting an extra 4 miles added on to our round trip.

Optimal conditions for the hike today!

Heed the warnings about the road, especially the last two miles! It’s not a road; think unimproved riverbed with 2-3 foot deep crevices and not enough room on either side to drive a car. With a 2017 Subaru Forester with all wheel drive and X-drive, I almost gave up. It took three tries with spinning tires before I got over the first bad crevice. I had to get out multiple times to walk ahead and plan how to straddle or cross large wide deep boulder-strewn ravines in the riverbed. One wrong choice and you could easily wreck your car. We didn’t make it all the way to the summit because we started at about 2:30 pm. We were the only ones on the trail and the last car out. There are incredible wildflowers and vistas. It was absolutely silent except for some bird and bee noise. I will do this one again but leave much earlier and leave the car two miles down the road!

Yes the road up is to be driven with care. Go slow, use low gear, and either straddle or go to the sides to avoid the ruts, and you’ll do just fine. It’s worth it. The views of Mt St Helens, Rainier, Mt Adams, and Mt Hood were breathtaking. Mt Jefferson was not in view with the clouds though. The wildflowers were stunning. Saw elk on the way out. Another group said they saw a mountain goat when at the top. Hummingbirds too. Gorgeous. For me the only caveat was Ed’s trail coming back. Two spots were a bit rough. Steep with roots, big rocks, mud, and one with sliding stones. I skid on my butt, didn’t get hurt but it was a bit gnarly. But that said, the views of Hood from Ed’s were stunning.

Always a favorite...Ed’s Loop didn’t disappoint this time either! Biggest question of course are the road conditions. I have a stock Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (trail rated) and we made it to the top just fine. I mean, the last 2-miles of the road is BAD. I spent time crawling on 3-wheels over ruts and washed out areas. But we made it. So many others decided not to drive and hike the 2-miles up.

I made it to the trailhead in my ‘18 Outback, although there are a few tricky spots on the ascent - lots of people just parked on the side and walked to the trailhead. Wildflowers are stunning! Went up Silver Star and down Ed’s. Unbelievable views of St. Helen, Rainier, Adams; you could see the base of Hood but it and Jefferson were obscured by storm clouds. One of my favorite hikes.

Hiked mid June, as many note - the 4109 road is terrible. The wildflowers were in full bloom, with a variety that was incredible- so beautiful. We went up Ed’s to the summit and came back down the Silver Star trail. Under fog at the lower elevation, when we broke out of it, it was awesome. Four mountains peeking out of the clouds. Can’t wait to do this one again.

Beautiful views, glorious flowers. The last couple miles of the road is absolutely horrible and I would only recommend a 4wd with some clearance.

Great trail. Well maintained. Awesome views of all the mountains.