Silver Lake Way Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(91)
Olympic National Park

Silver Lake Way Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Quilcene, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 6.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,709 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Silver Creek Trailhead is the start of the hike. The first mile or so alternates flat meadows with moderate inclines. The second mile or so consists of moderate incline with very uneven terrain and narrow trail. The third mile or so consists of steep inclines. There is one semi confusing fork in the trail where you come across two trees one says “No” and the other says “God’s Men”, go towards “God’s Men” and then keep right.

Great hike! Trail follows the creek to the lake which makes for such a peaceful hike. There are a few spots where the brush is infringing on the trail but it’s not bad. Still able to follow the trail. There is one spot earlier in the hike where the mud is pretty bad. Had to veer off the trail, which others have done as well. The lake is beautiful and very serene.

This was a great trail to hike, the new trail head definitely is a lot more muddier and overgrown at the beginning than the old trail head, I would have preferred to start at the old trail head, but we finished there instead. Weather was great, it was foggy/ cloudy, cleared up, foggy again etc. about 1.88 miles in is where the toughest part comes in- climbing the steep rock trail, luckily it doesn’t last that long , but once past it, it’s easy from there. A lot of slippery roots! The views and different scenery was 100/100, you had the meadows, the creek, the “rock climbing”, the lake and more. The lake is so quiet and majestic, when we got there it was clear and somewhat warm, after stopping for a lunch break the wind started to pick up and the fog rolled in, luckily we were wrapping up eating lunch so we could head back down. A great trail in my book. Some snow patches, none in the way of the trail however. Pretty quiet in the morning, when we got back to our vehicle there were a lot more cars, but saw maybe 6-7 people/groups total.

Beautiful hike! Highly recommend trekking poles as the inclines are steep and slippery. The creek it follows is beautiful and there are quite a few waterfalls. Lake was mostly fogged in but did clear up for a while. Otherwise great weather.

BEAUTIFUL hike! Trail was snow free, but the lake was so fog covered there was no view. Would definitely go do this again when it’s sunny.

This trail was amazing. This map took us to an older trail head but the main was is just before it. Was steep in a few sport but not too hard. It was sunny then rained and snowed on us, completely worth getting soaked. There was T and we are rent right, not sure where left would have taken us. The top was still snowy but absolutely gorgeous. I will be doing this again.

(Hiked 6/2/20) Absolutely gorgeous trail, even on a drizzly day! My partner and I loved the constant change in scenery and the creek and little waterfalls you follow along the way up. Still good patches of snow for the last .5 - .75 miles, but spikes would only be necessary if you wanted to hike completely around the lake. Did see bear tracks and a black bear! Dissension was tricky on the knees dude to the slippery roots and rocks and the overgrown parts. We will definitely be back this summer to camp! Should also mention that there are lots of potholes on the drive up.

Turned this short out and back into a fun little overnighter. It was cold and wet but we had a good time all the same. The trail is in good condition (just a little snow) and there are some vistas if you're willing to hike a little off trail. If you live on the OP, definitely add this to your day hike repertoire.

I usually do this trail via Townsend, but did the Way Trail yesterday full pack for conditioning. My mileage was more than 6 miles. I thought this trail was on the harder side of moderate around the 1 1/2 mile mark then wasn't too bad. Trail is in good condition, turn right at the T that isn't really marked...remember it for way back. I used micro spikes for about 1/2 mi. toward the end, but they weren't a must... just helped. Pretty rocky and rooty in parts. Lake is mostly iced over still. but thin layer will thaw soon.

icy

This was probably the worst experience I’ve had on a hike. Mostly due to my ability’s. But, know before you go, more then half of the trail is in snow or snow/mud. The last mile or more (idk I didn’t make it to the lake before deciding to turn around) is either knee deep snow or compacted and slippery. If you look at my recording you’ll see I went all over the place, that is due to my ability to ascertain a discernible trail in the snow pack. This lead me to being off trail for so long I had to give up in order to ensure I got back to my car before dark. I will try this trail again when there is hopefully less snow.

icy

I had a full pack on as a workout but didn't stay over night. However people were able to camp at the lake on top of the snow. The trail conditions can be split into thirds. The first third of the trail is pretty much clear of ice and snow, a little muddy in small parts but it's great. The second third has portions of snow and ice. The last third is completely snow and thick in many areas, with only a small portion or two of dirt. We had a rough time at the last third, but do-able if you really want to see the lake. I would recommend some type of spiked shoes, something that can handle slippery surfaces. The lake is almost completely frozen over but it appears to be thawing gradually.

We went on 12/14/19 and the trail was snow covered the majority of the way. About an inch at the trailhead and almost a foot at the lake. We didn’t have any trouble and only used micro spikes. Snow made the trail difficult to follow at times. Highly recommend having gps. Road has snow on it but was able to make it in FWD car without any trouble. Trailhead isn’t marked and there is only room for a few cars. We didn’t see anyone else the whole day though!

This was a beautiful trail. Steady incline for last mile or so with some very rocky and steep sections. First two thirds of the trail offers you some flat ground so enjoy it while you can. Beautiful frozen lake makes the trek very much worth it.

Easier end of moderate for experienced hikers. I took someone who hadn’t been out in about a decade. One small climb at the trail head, and one big climb about 2 miles in but other than that it’s a pretty manageable grade. Watch your step on rocks and roots sticking out. The view at the lake once you reach it is worth the trek.