Silver Creek Trail #258

Silver Creek Trail #258 is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 7.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,512 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Lightly trafficked hike through the shady forests. Rolling hills. If you park in the gravel lot (shooting range), it’s about 1/2 mile hike up the ATV road to the trailhead. There is room to park at the trailhead but I wouldn’t drive up anything you were worried about getting scratched from the low hanging branches. This is a hike that you have to enjoy the journey rather than the destination. The end of the trail is a gravel road/lot. But I’m sure there are some pretty views along the way. It was wet and overcast when we did it, so there wasn’t much to see.

Mostly shaded with some views of Rainier if you look back when the terrain opens up.

There were some nice views going down, but besides that it was very buggy and the trail just poos out on a forest service road with little highlight.

Our GPS read was 8.6 miles. This is the lightest traffic I’ve had on a hike; only saw two people. Gorgeous sweeping views at the top, and at the parking area. The hike starts as an ATV road but this takes you to the trailhead. Plenty of space to park (no facilities). The trail is narrow through the trees, a slow elevation gain. Really beautiful and cool in the shade. Before the top, there is an open view of the surrounding mountains, and then even more dramatic at the top. The trail end is a letdown, just a gravel road, so we backtracked to the top with the view for lunch. I recommend using bug spray; mosquitoes were active. It was a little overcast so if there is a view of Rainer or St Helens, I couldn’t tell.

Monday, July 16, 2018

Although I have lived around here for 25 years, this was the first time I noticed it on the map and decided to go check it out. What a great surprise! I parked on Skate Creek Road and rode a bike to the trailhead. The trailhead is clearly marked and the entire length of the trail is well-delineated and easy to follow. It traverses through many different types of forests (reproduction, old growth, second growth) and has a really nice character to it. I rode it on my bike. It was strenuous to ride uphill, but I only needed to come out of the pedals 3-4 times on the way up. There are some good views near the top. The ride down was great. It wasn't just a complete brake-riding experience on the way down. The trail was narrow, but had a nice flow. It would make a great traverse to continue to the Allen Mountain trail, then the Sawtooth trail out Osbourne Mountain. Take a lunch on that one. - Stefan

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Lots of snow, had to park on the main road and hike to the TH. Trail was untouched with deep snow in some areas, easy to navigate still. snowshoes would be highly recommended!

Friday, October 28, 2016

The TH is located at 46.70228, -121.81456. Directions from Ashford, WA: Hwy 706 East toward Mt Rainier NP, Turn right on NF 52, turn right on NF 5240. About 1/2 mile turn right up the hill (46.69611, -121.81017; it's in the first sharp right bend in a rock pile area), TH on the left. Plenty of parking and space for camping. Road was well maintained. Because of time constraints I only went in about 2 miles, the trail is probably a little over 4 miles one way. It extends from NF 5240 to NF 8460. The portion of the trail I walked was Easy, great for taking the kids out. It follows the creek to Bear Meadows (about 3/4 mile in) then crosses over and goes into the forest. There are several small water falls and rapids in the creek (we've just had a lot of rain). The trail is easy to follow, but I believe it sees rare use, the only signs of use were deer tracks following the trail.

Saturday, August 11, 2018